Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 08:09 PM

66 posts, read 74,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Not sure if I would go so far as to call Philly classy but alright and No I do have an appreciation for urban cities. My favorite cities in the USA are DC, NYC, Boston, San Francisco and New Orleans.

Philadelphia was one of the first major cities I have ever gone to when I was little/younger and it actually formed the "old money" vibe for me where people attribute the Northeast cities for.

Philadelphia is extremely old money. Its also very Irish and Italian. You bet your ass its classy too, from Center City, to the colonial architecture, to the world class museums and educational institutions, to the "OLD MONEY" suburbs on the Main Line. Thats quintessential Northeast. No ghetto area thats attributed to one small part of the city is going to change that.

Does Bedford-Stuyvesant ruin the Upper East Side for you? Probably not, so why should North Philly ruin Rittenhouse Square for you? Or Dorchester/Roxbury and Back Bay?

The list goes on.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Not sure if I would go so far as to call Philly classy but alright and No I do have an appreciation for urban cities. My favorite cities in the USA are DC, NYC, Boston, San Francisco and New Orleans.
"Classically" =/= "classy." Although Philadelphia can certainly compete in that department.

I also strongly challenge the rationale for calling any place "horrific" so casually, as every city, despite one's preferences, has at least some redeeming value and positive points. There's honestly no need for the blatant negativity.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
I'll admit sometimes I suffer from "Philly fatigue", but it's no different than the fatigue I get from whatever cities boosters are dominating these forums at any given time. I know what it's like to live in a place where people that have never been there say factually inaccurate things because they heard something once, or it's a competing peer city to the one they are boosting. Still relentlessly defending a city can be counter intuitive. I'm apprehensive to voice my opinion about Philadelphia because of the hyper sensitive personalities, and over-boosting it gets. The times I was there I could see the progress being made, but you can still tell it's transitioning. I don't think it's as under-rated as some people are saying, I do think it deserves a little more credit nationally.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I said "classically urban," not "classy" (although the latter isn't exactly farfetched).

So being that you like those other cities and Philly is pretty much in the same vein as far as built environment and such, why do you think Philly is "horrific"?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 PM

If Philadelphia manages to change its tax structure that so many people have always clamored for, it could be a much better place to attract business. Local leaders are now pushing this.

Report: Philly could gain jobs with tax restructuring

Quote:
A group of Philadelphia civic and business leaders on Labor Day released a report projecting 79,000 new jobs in the city over the next decade if politicians agree to a major revamp of the city's tax structure.
The study, commissioned by the Philadelphia Growth Coalition, is the latest volley in an effort to build support for a change to the Pennsylvania Constitution that would allow the city to tax commercial real estate at a higher rate than residential property. The current tax rate of 1.4 percent applies to all real estate.
Quote:
Under the proposal, spearheaded by Center City District CEO Paul Levy and Brandywine Realty Trust CEO Gerard Sweeney, the additional money raised from commercial real estate taxes would be used to cut wage and business taxes.
The city wage tax is 3.91 percent for residents and 3.48 percent for nonresidents. The business net income tax targeted by the coalition is 6.41 percent.

"We're overly dependent on a wage and business tax and, frankly, under-relying on a real estate tax," Levy said last week.
The Growth Coalition, which includes major landlords, chambers of commerce, and labor unions, argues that shifting some of the city's tax burden from what can easily leave (jobs and businesses) to what can't move (land and buildings) would make Philadelphia more competitive with the suburbs.
Quote:
Philadelphia officials this year are counting real estate taxes for just 14 percent of overall revenue. In Boston, by contrast, real estate taxes are expected to contribute 68 percent of total revenue this year.
The expected sweetener for landlords who would have to pay higher property taxes would be greater demand for their properties from businesses that want to move into the city or expand there to take advantage of the city's improved tax climate.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM

Needless to say, its about time. In addition to everything else already going on, Philadelphia could really take off if this happens.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Quote:
lol I don't. People really talk philly up like it's a world class city. European Tourists go there constantly, it usually comes close to winning in polls on this webpage. In terms of the USA I believe that people give Philly more credit than it deserves. For instance someone made a poll on here about world class cities and Philly came very high up on most responses for its inclusion of world class cities(maybe it was just a lot of people from philly responding, but nonetheless).

I think that DC is underrated because most people in the USA put it on par with san fran, and boston when I think it is much more important. DC is much more than politics also, and when people(especially young people) think of DC they usually just bring up the political aspect of the city.

Don't get me wrong, DC is a well respected city, but I personally believe it needs to get way more respect than it does. I'm also not hating on Philly, but I think that city is definitely a has been.
That's because Philly is a world-class city.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
To answer everyone's question: I had a pretty bad run in with people when I was there. I felt as if everyone was abrasive and depressed/not all that welcoming. I also went to their little Italy and their inside market and found both to be run down. There is a large chunk of the city that I found to be run down/depressing as well. Okay so maybe saying horrific was a bit of an exaggeration, it's just not my cup of tea and i'll leave it at that. I can see why some people like it though.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
To answer everyone's question: I had a pretty bad run in with people when I was there. I felt as if everyone was abrasive and depressed/not all that welcoming. I also went to their little Italy and their inside market and found both to be run down. There is a large chunk of the city that I found to be run down/depressing as well. Okay so maybe saying horrific was a bit of an exaggeration, it's just not my cup of tea and i'll leave it at that. I can see why some people like it though.
Fair enough. Now that is a fair, less ignorant assessment. I believe Northeasterners can be rude and abrasive, especially if you don't know how to deal with the attitude and sarcasm.

A lot of the city is cleaning up and rebuilding, which is why I think a lot of Philadelphian's are so excited. Little Italy? Do you mean the Italian Market maybe? It can be run down and is more Hispanic than Italian these days lol. You should've checked out the Reading Terminal Market.

Anyways, maybe you'll go back 10 years from now to see the transformation a lot of the city has made and will have a better experience.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Fair enough. Now that is a fair, less ignorant assessment. I believe Northeasterners can be rude and abrasive, especially if you don't know how to deal with the attitude and sarcasm.

A lot of the city is cleaning up and rebuilding, which is why I think a lot of Philadelphian's are so excited. Little Italy? Do you mean the Italian Market maybe? It can be run down and is more Hispanic than Italian these days lol. You should've checked out the Reading Terminal Market.

Anyways, maybe you'll go back 10 years from now to see the transformation a lot of the city has made and will have a better experience.
I haven't been back in a while(I might even say it's been about 10 years, so I'm sure it's changed. I am most certain that I will find my way to the city at some point in the future of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City