Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think on this forum Boston being over rated is over rated.
I guess if your city doesn't have more than three hundred homicides a year, it's overrated.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-11-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM

102 posts, read 101,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I guess if your city doesn't have more than three hundred homicides a year, it's overrated.

Boston did have a bombing in the middle of it's downtown. Has Chicago or Philadelphia?

Nowhere is really safe, so the crime rate talk is overrated dick-measuring.

Don't act as if these cities are involved in gunfights all over town. It's concentrated in specific areas.

It also doesn't change the fact that Boston is overrated, regardless, as the vast majority of people in this thread have already said. It's a great city, but it's not worth it's price. Not even close.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'd agree Milwaukee is underrated. It get's overshadowed by it's huge neighbor to the south (Chicago.)

Madison is also underrated, IMO. But being such a small city, it's understandable it doesn't get much attention.
I love Madison, went to school there. But if anything, it's overrated as anything other than a nice college town.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
Boston did have a bombing in the middle of it's downtown. Has Chicago or Philadelphia?

Nowhere is really safe, so the crime rate talk is overrated dick-measuring.

Don't act as if these cities are involved in gunfights all over town. It's concentrated in specific areas.

It also doesn't change the fact that Boston is overrated, regardless, as the vast majority of people in this thread have already said. It's a great city, but it's not worth it's price. Not even close.
I can't deny that its too expensive, but that's because people want to live here.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I can't deny that its too expensive, but that's because people want to live here.

Or it could be because it's coastal with limited geography.

I think it's certainly a top 10 city in America, but it doesn't have the amenities like an NYC or LA or SF does. It's more in line with Philadelphia and Washington. It's climate, nightlife and food aren't anything that particularly stands out. You can make a case for specifics like autumn weather and seafood but that's not something that makes a city overpriced.

The only thing that Boston has head and shoulders over every single city in the US is education.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Or it could be because it's coastal with limited geography.

I think it's certainly a top 10 city in America, but it doesn't have the amenities like an NYC or LA or SF does. It's more in line with Philadelphia and Washington. It's climate, nightlife and food aren't anything that particularly stands out. You can make a case for specifics like autumn weather and seafood but that's not something that makes a city overpriced.

The only thing that Boston has head and shoulders over every single city in the US is education.
Not just the U.S., the world.

It's also the world's number 1 medical center.

Not too shabby.

What amenities does SF have that Boston doesn't?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-11-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 07:11 PM

32 posts, read 45,912 times
Chicago is an underrated city. With all the media press about it being 'Chiraq' and extremely dangerous, it's also absolutely gorgeous with my favorite skyline in the country. In all my visits there it hasn't felt dangerous, but there are a ton of awesome things to do and see.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Not just the U.S., the world.

It's also the world's number 1 medical center.

Not too shabby.

What amenities does SF have that Boston doesn't?

Debatable as number one medical center, because while it has the top-rated for Mass Gen, NYC and LA simply have more and higher rated hospitals. Even Chicago.

However, Philadelphia, like Boston, has a top-rated hospital of its own in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

I would say that SF has climate, food, nightlife, economy and nature over Boston. The only things Boston has over SF is history and education.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Boston is definitely overrated. It's a great city but I think part of what makes it overrated is it's price.

For it's cost of living, it's pretty average. It should no way at all be as expensive as NYC or SF. The winters are terrible, the food outside seafood is nothing to write home about, and the nightlife is pretty subpar for a city like that. It kind of seems void of personality at times because it's so pristine and nice. The success of it's sports teams in recent years has bred contempt for the city as well. I wonder what kind of fans would show up after a prolonged period of losing, or if they would show up at all.

The history is cool, but it isn't as apparent as Philadelphia's. I really love the youthful and academic vibe of Boston.
Quote:
Debatable as number one medical center, because while it has the top-rated for Mass Gen, NYC and LA simply have more and higher rated hospitals. Even Chicago.

However, Philadelphia, like Boston, has a top-rated hospital of its own in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

I would say that SF has climate, food, nightlife, economy and nature over Boston. The only things Boston has over SF is history and education.
Houston has the biggest medical center in the world.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
No, no they don't. Boston actually has two of the top six. Mass General (1) and Brigham and Women's (6). The only cities that come close is NYC (7 and 12) and SF (8 and 15).

Boston has many other smaller highly ranked specialty hospitals, it also has 5 Level 1 trauma centers. You mentioned the Boston Marathon Bombings before? There were 4 Level 1 trauma centers within a mile of the bombings. Compare that to a city like Austin Texas which has one Level 1 trauma center in the whole city.

In addition: Massachusetts has the highest percentage of doctors relative to the general population in the nation by far at 314.8 doctors per 100,000 people. The next closest is Maryland at 281.0. It also has the lowest uninsured rate in the nation at 4.4%

The Honor Roll of Best Hospitals 2015-16 - US News

Quote:
Yes Philly has a top rated Children's hospital but Boston has the number 1 Children's hospital

Best Children's Hospitals | Top Pediatric Hospitals | US News Hospital Rankings

Quote:
It's also 30% more expensive than Boston.

Btw, nature is absolutely debatable. Boston sits in the middle of New England which, if it were not for cold winters, would, IMO, trump central California which is an incredibly arid area with a very unappealing relationship with the ocean.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-12-2016 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City