Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Not sure why, but as an Asian (ethnic Chinese), I typically try to avoid these Asian-themed malls. I've been to a several in Vancouver (Richmond), whenever I go there to visit family. Somehow I just don't like the general vibe and how it is built exclusively for Asians/Chinese without any consideration for local, native consumers who speak English. In the ideal world, I wish that these Asian retailers, and the Asian community abroad, would make a greater effort at integrating their culture with the mainstream western culture. Only then will we have a multicultural society for all to enjoy, not just select groups and enclaves.
There are some items that I will ONLY get at the Pacific mall... Cheapest price in town for many naturopathic and phone related accessory stuff.. I like the fact I can even haggle with them in terms of price!! Plus getting a decent meal and for me its definately worth the trip! I have no issues and most if not all retailers speak english.. There's a great stall to buy International notes/stamps as well for those who collect such... The owner knows me by name now lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-17-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:31 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
Quote:
Location-specific, Toronto feels more Asian than the East Bay & obviously Marin County. But SF & San Mateo County & South Bay feel more Asian than Toronto. I also know that Toronto can get white very quickly once outside the city like in places like Burlington. I remember very well going there on the way to the Niagara Falls and then thinking how the demographics can change from "colorful to white" in a relatively short amount of time
Where in Toronto did you visit?
Toronto is actually a bit more Asian than the South Bay or San Mateo County and about as Asian as SF. Where in Toronto did you go? A lot of Scarborough, Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga and Brampton have a more overwhelmingly Asian feel than either San Mateo County or the South Bay- where there are usually quite a few Hispanics mixed in. If you stayed in central/inner Toronto, I'd agree that the Asian feel is a bit less than in either San Mateo county or the South Bay.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM

150 posts, read 215,344 times
GTA.

Hell, Brampton -- a city of 500,000+ people is majority South Asian.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM

592 posts, read 828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not alot of Americans know as much about Toronto as they do about other U.S cities so it really is to be expected.. Americans who live closer geographically to it typically know more about it but like most places - they only know the main parts, particularly the DT core and there's a whole lot more to the city.
true, but Toronto is in proximity to a far greater number of Americans than San Francisco.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Toronto has amazing Asian food--be it Chinese, Middle Eastern (if you wanna be technical about it), or Indian.
I'm half Syrian and half Palestinian- we're not considered Asian by anyone.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I am Asian in spirit being Jewish we are connected by our love of education lol

Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Toronto definitely seemed to have a larger South Asian population to me. I hardly ever seen Indians or people from the subcontinent in San Francisco. Not sure if these statistics are correct, but this is what one poster posted

Cupertino 22.60%
Fremont 18.08%
Sunnyvale 15.52%
Norris Canyon 13.69%
Santa Clara 13.64%
Union City 11.46%
San Ramon 11.34%
Foster City 11.32%
Mountain House 9.91%
Saratoga 9.81%

Still doesn't seem right though.....

Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 PM

San Francisco seems to feel more Asian to me than Toronto. However, if we're looking at the metro areas, I can see how Toronto would feel more Asian. I think Asians are the dominant visible minority in the GTA. While the Bay Area is 1/4 Asian, it's slightly more latino, and I feel like Latino culture seems more dominant outside of the city of San Francisco itself. Even a city like San Jose, which is about 1/3 Asian and 1/3 Latino, has more of a Latin influence than an Asian influence. Once you head to the East Bay and North Bay, the Latin influence seems to far outweigh the Asian influence.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
The GTA has more South Asians than all of Cali. The New York MSA also has more South Asians than all of Cali. This is verifiable fact; I don't understand why people like to argue when there are government backed stats available to prove them wrong.

Yes, Silicon Valley does have a growing Indian presence, but it's very transient and many do not take up roots there like they do in other cities, due to the nature of their jobs (h1b visa holders, eg)
If you're talking about Asian Indian, then California has almost double the amount that New York state has, according to the 2010 Census. New York City alone, however, does harbor half of the U.S. Bangaladeshi population, which is pretty impressive.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
I'm half Syrian and half Palestinian- we're not considered Asian by anyone.
By some. A few Middle Easterners I know (those not from North Africa) consider themselves "Asian" and put it on the questionnaires on SATs and such. In some countries, Middle Easterners are also considered "Asian".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City