Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Hmm, that's interesting they say that. In my experience Oak Tree Rd in Edison/Iselin,NJ, Devon Ave. in Chicago, and Jackson Heights in Queens have more retail and are a bit larger than Gerrard India Bazaar, even though the South Asian populations themselves are much smaller in those areas...argh, if only the Hurontario/Dundas area of Mississauga densifies and explodes into a massive Indo-Pak district...that'd be awesome...or heck, even if the Sri Lankan business in Scarborough somehow consolidated under one umbrella and spearheaded a "Little Colombo"district somewhere near one of the Scarborough RT stations, that'd be pretty awesome.
Yeah I still think for a community the size of T.O's South Asian population its still kinda spread out but all over the place (Nothing is as established as say Chinatown west in T.O or L'il Italy, L'il Portugal, Greektown etc) but I don't think the Gerrard India Bazaar would make such a proclamation if it weren't rooted in some fact..

Interesting you would note the lack of a strong Sri Lankan district in T.O - another would be that there isn't a large Phillipino district yet it is quite a large community in T.O.

Anyway, if the numbers pan out like StatsCan projects than I think we'll have larger and larger South Asian districts in the city by sheer force!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 PM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Hillside avenue in Queens bordering Briarwood, Richmond Hill, and Jamaica is the most South Asian concentrated urban neighborhood I've ever seen outside of London and Dubai. More than Brampton, Missisuaga, et al.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Hillside avenue in Queens bordering Briarwood, Richmond Hill, and Jamaica is the most South Asian concentrated urban neighborhood I've ever seen outside of London and Dubai. More than Brampton, Missisuaga, et al.
There's not a whole lot of urbanity in Brampton/Mississauga - they are very sububan in nature. You have bits and pieces of South Asian businesses in plaza's all over.. You're probably comparing an apple to an orange.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
IN Queens Desis are about 12% of the population but far more segregated and poorer than London or Toronto; so close in numbers but far off in affluence or integration. I hope Montclair doesn't get a hard on based on that statement.
Does that include South Asians that are from via the West Indies?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Desi culture is more mainstream in London by virtue of it being a much older immigrant group. However, on the whole, South Asians seem to be better integrated with mainstream society in Toronto as opposed to London; where they are more marginalized in the latter. This may sound contradictory but it is what it is.
Hmm. What makes them seem more marginalized to you?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Does that include South Asians that are from via the West Indies?
Ah, yes; someone mentioned Guyanese of Indian descent here, but didn't know whether to count them or not. I think we should; after all, Black Canadians AND Black Africans, Black Caribbean people, etc, are all counted as Blacks in Canada. If their racial origin goes back to Asia, then Asians from the Caribbean should be included.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:38 AM

3,864 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Desi culture is more mainstream in London by virtue of it being a much older immigrant group. However, on the whole, South Asians seem to be better integrated with mainstream society in Toronto as opposed to London; where they are more marginalized in the latter. This may sound contradictory but it is what it is.

IN Queens Desis are about 12% of the population but far more segregated and poorer than London or Toronto; so close in numbers but far off in affluence or integration. I hope Montclair doesn't get a hard on based on that statement.
To be fair, neither Toronto or London have done a commendable job of integrating the South Asian communities. They make up one of the largest poverty groups in both cities.

Snapshot of racialized Poverty in Canada

UK: low income and ethnicity - The Poverty Site

Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah I still think for a community the size of T.O's South Asian population its still kinda spread out but all over the place (Nothing is as established as say Chinatown west in T.O or L'il Italy, L'il Portugal, Greektown etc) but I don't think the Gerrard India Bazaar would make such a proclamation if it weren't rooted in some fact..

Interesting you would note the lack of a strong Sri Lankan district in T.O - another would be that there isn't a large Phillipino district yet it is quite a large community in T.O.

Anyway, if the numbers pan out like StatsCan projects than I think we'll have larger and larger South Asian districts in the city by sheer force!
I think that those identifies districts are losing their importance as these communities integrate into Canadian society. Its nice for outsiders to have everything grouped together if they want to try out a new food, music, dress, etc...but it is really is not important to members to that community itself. Trust me a Tamil person in Toronto knows exactly where to go if they are looking to cook a meal at home or buy a Sari for an event.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I totally wasn't trying to "one-up" you or anything and definitely respect you as a poster...I was just genuinely curious. My family is from India, and I visited London in 99, when I was a kid, but I haven't been back since...I've checked out the demographics of South Asian areas of its various boroughs and even looked street views, etc. I definitely wish Toronto had a vibrant south Asian retail/dining strip like Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets or The Broadway in Southall...Gerrard India Bazaar just doesn't cut it. Even though places like Mississauga and Brampton have Indian strip malls, the "feel" just isn't the same as a jam-packed strip like Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets or The Broadway in Southall.
This is my impression as well. It isnt that the South Asian population in Toronto has less "stuff" at their disposal, it just is not as in your face as London. Also as mentioned much of Toronto's South Asian diaspora and businesses are settled in Suburban areas, which as a visitor you need a car to access. London on the other hand is more urban, vibrant and easy to access.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
To be fair, neither Toronto or London have done a commendable job of integrating the South Asian communities. They make up one of the largest poverty groups in both cities.

Snapshot of racialized Poverty in Canada

UK: low income and ethnicity - The Poverty Site
To be fair to London and Toronto - I think both cities take in more South Asians than pretty much any U.S city.. I think if you look - the more you take in the more of of a distribution you will get. As per your link 7/10 immigrants to Canada living in poverty have been here less than 5 years! Its also a two way street in terms of integration, both the society and the citizen need to work on that - its not just a one way street. I think U.S immigration policy is different than Canada's - its not an apples to apples comparison and i'm not disagreeing that more can be done, but the Q.O.L is still vastly better than the homeland.

Anyway, there are plenty of South Indians in the GTA not living in poverty and these individuals typically have lived here longer.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-12-2014 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City