Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 51.61%
Los Angeles 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Oh dear, you mustn't have been on here for very long. Miami gets a ton of flack on this forum.
If you say so. As for how long I've been here, I've been here officially for a little over a year, as you can see in the "join date" section of my heading. I read the forums before that as a non-member for about another year. From what I've seen in that amount of time, the cities that usually take a heavy beating in these forums are

A. Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, and Baltimore.
B. Then there are the cities that get an equal amount of trashing and praise, like L.A., DC, Philly, New Orleans, and Chicago.
C. After that, there's the cities that seem to get nothing but love, like Denver, Seattle, Austin, Portland, San Francisco, and NYC.

Somewhere in between B and C is Miami.

Like I said, this has just been my observation in the last couple of years reading through various threads in these forums. It isn't influenced by any kind of bias going one way or the other. Also, C-D is it's own weird little bubble of "reality". In the great big world outside of these forums it may be a whole different story. I'm not trying to tell anyone here that they're wrong or trying to start an argument. I'm just telling it the way I've seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
From what I've seen in that amount of time, the cities that usually take a heavy beating in these forums are

A. Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, and Baltimore.
B. Then there are the cities that get an equal amount of trashing and praise, like L.A., DC, Philly, New Orleans, and Chicago.
C. After that, there's the cities that seem to get nothing but love, like Denver, Seattle, Austin, Portland, San Francisco, and NYC.

Somewhere in between B and C is Miami.

Like I said, this has just been my observation in the last couple of years reading through various threads in these forums. It isn't influenced by any kind of bias going one way or the other. Also, C-D is it's own weird little bubble of "reality". In the great big world outside of these forums it may be a whole different story. I'm not trying to tell anyone here that they're wrong or trying to start an argument. I'm just telling it the way I've seen it.
A fair assessment. It really comes down to what threads we read.

LA, Miami and Phoenix are definitely not CD favorites from what I've seen. I like all three though.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:37 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times
Voted for LA but didn't see the word WINTER...so actually I'll take Miami, but overall LA has much better weather. Miami gets super muggy and it rains all the time in the summer. LA has perfect spring-fall with good winter weather.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
My vote tipped the poll to Miami's favor. Nights in LA during winter are typically chilly in the 50's and sometimes in the 40s. Ive been to Miami and never had to wear a jacket because of how warm the nights are.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
My vote tipped the poll to Miami's favor. Nights in LA during winter are typically chilly in the 50's and sometimes in the 40s. Ive been to Miami and never had to wear a jacket because of how warm the nights are.
The lack of humidity means the temperature swings more from day to night and even swings a lot from sun to shade. At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. Do you like humid air and warm nights? Or dry air and cool nights?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I have said it before and will say it again -- Miami has as close to perfect weather in the winter as possible. Typically mid to upper 70s (dipping down to low 70s and upper 60s during occasional "cold spells"), low humidity, little precipitation and a warm ocean all through the winter. You just can't beat that.
Agreed. Miami's winter weather is very similar to our coastal weather for most of the rest of the year. Some might find LA's winter weather better than Miami's but only if you like noticeably cooler and somewhat wetter weather. I like our winter weather but it's not better than Miami's.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
LA nights are regularly in the 40sF and sometimes lower. Only during a spell of unusually warmer weather would nights in LA be in the 50sF or maybe even above.

Miami winter lows are typically in the upper 50sF and 60sF.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
LA nights are regularly in the 40sF and sometimes lower. Only during a spell of unusually warmer weather would nights in LA be in the 50sF or maybe even above.

Miami winter lows are typically in the upper 50sF and 60sF.
50s winter nights in LA are extremely typical, please.

40s and sometimes lower?? its more like, 50% of nights in 40s, 50% of nights in 50s (this is for USC), coastal LA is more like 90% 50s, 10% 40s, valley cities its 80% 40s, 15% 50s, 5% 30s.

and there have been multiple winters with average lows in the 50s, so its not "40s and lower", coastal LA rarely or even barely sees temps below 45 F.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
The average winter low at LAX is 49 in Dec and Jan. Not sure how you're going to get a average low of 49 if only 10% of winter nights drop into the 40's. Btw Tuesday through Saturday will see lows 45 or below at LAX.

Let me guess, LA-Mex is using data taken from piers over open water as evidence of coastal LA's balmy winter nights lol.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times
My opinion goes to LA. Miami winters are more warmer but LA winters never get cold. It does rain some but overall I'd say LA just because the weather year round is virtually the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City