Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 12:12 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So it's a secondary node similar University City and not considered "downtown."

Defining Downtown » Read the Report

Center City District and the Central Philadelphia Development Corporation exclude University City from their definition of "downtown." They call it a secondary employment node.
The difference is, the Schuylkill is a couple hundred feet across:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...d841f137c6295d

The East River is much wider and the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge are at least a mile across
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...0b8f06e177fe62

This isn't that hard to comprehend. I know you have a college degree. Why is this so difficult for you?

So, I guess Chicago can't be one downtown now. It has to be three separate Downtown nodes.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...e0a6ad09c0c000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
The difference is, the Schuylkill is a couple hundred feet across:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...d841f137c6295d

The East River is much wider and the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge are at least a mile across
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...0b8f06e177fe62

This isn't that hard to comprehend. I know you have a college degree. Why is this so difficult for you?

So, I guess Chicago can't be one downtown now. It has to be three separate Downtown nodes.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...e0a6ad09c0c000
My point was that an organization based in Philadelphia--the city that is the subject of this thread--doesn't include University City as part of "downtown" Philadelphia. If University City were "downtown," you'd think they just come out and say that. They are excluding it for a reason--it's not downtown.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
It is arbitrary. I see no reason why Downtown BK can't be considered "Greater Manhattan" or at least part of the city's core/CBD. What panel of experts convened and decided how wide or narrow a river has to be in order for a business district to be considered part of the "downtown."
What's completely arbitrary is the fact that what I considered "Downtown NYC" is already 16 ****ing square miles. Why on earth do you feel it necessary to add more to this? Especially more that is separated by a mile wide river.

The Center City District doesn't include University City in their definition because they're just that, the Center City District. They're not the "Downtown Philadelphia District." There is also a University City District who oversees University City. The CCD and CCRA also claim Center City extends from Girard to Tasker, so are we really going to consider their definitions to be precise?

If Downtown Brooklyn was a few hundred feet away from Manhattan, I would include it.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
What's completely arbitrary is the fact that what I considered "Downtown NYC" is already 16 ****ing square miles. Why on earth do you feel it necessary to add more to this? Especially more that is separated by a mile wide river.
We're just using the logic of some of the posters in this thread. Downtown BK and University City are both secondary employment nodes. You've somehow come up with a magical number for how wide a river must be before a secondary node can no longer be considered a part of "downtown." What is your authority for that?

Quote:
The Center City District doesn't include University City in their definition because they're just that, the Center City District. They're not the "Downtown Philadelphia District."
Im confused...didn't the Center City District also create the same report you guys are now relying on to say that University City is a part of Downtown Philadelphia?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:28 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Quote:

The Center City District doesn't include University City in their definition because they're just that, the Center City District. They're not the "Downtown Philadelphia District." There is also a University City District who oversees University City. The CCD and CCRA also claim Center City extends from Girard to Tasker, so are we really going to consider their definitions to be precise?

If Downtown Brooklyn was a few hundred feet away from Manhattan, I would include it.
I agree with you here. A perfect example of this is how Golden Triangle isn't apart of downtown DC officially. Anybody who has been to DC knows how absolutely crazy that is. The BIDs define boundaries based on taxing districts. We have tons of them here in DC.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

And let's not forget the immortal words of a great Central Philadelphia authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
All I'm saying is that University City and Templetown are not part of the downtown area of Philly. Center City alone rivals anything urban in the entire DC city proper.
He was right then. He is wrong now.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
My point was that an organization based in Philadelphia--the city that is the subject of this thread--doesn't include University City as part of "downtown" Philadelphia. If University City were "downtown," you'd think they just come out and say that. They are excluding it for a reason--it's not downtown.
well interestingly there is a actually a conflict of interest with two separate development groups that usually specifically keep them independent as i actually evident in the report

regardless the data and report never said that DT philly is bigger, it only said that there are more people live within 1 miles extended of the DT they define as basically 3rd to river and pine to vine actually

Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I agree with you here. A perfect example of this is how Golden Triangle isn't apart of downtown DC officially. Anybody who has been to DC knows how absolutely crazy that is. The BIDs define boundaries based on taxing districts. We have tons of them here in DC.
Rosslyn, Virginia could technically be considered Downtown DC. Foggy Bottom to Georgetown is virtually seamless. Plus, Georgetown has a lot of private sector firms. You can easily walk to Georgetown from Rossyln across the Key Bridge, which integrates Rosslyn into "Greater Downtown DC."

Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well interestingly there is a actually a conflict of interest with two separate development groups that usually specifically keep them independent as i actually evident in the report

regardless the data and report never said that DT philly is bigger, it only said that there are more people live within 1 miles extended of the DT they define as basically 3rd to river and pine to vine actually
The report talks about "Greater Center City." The boosters on here are now conflating that with "Downtown Philadelphia," which is something entirely distinct. The reports are not contradictory; it's just that some people are being disingenuous.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Quote:
Rosslyn, Virginia could technically be considered Downtown DC. Foggy Bottom to Georgetown is virtually seamless. Plus, Georgetown has a lot of private sector firms. You can easily walk to Georgetown from Rossyln across the Key Bridge, which integrates Rosslyn into "Greater Downtown DC."
How about Golden Triangle?

This isn't downtown D.C., however, across the street is?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9037...XbztlkbaCA!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City