Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 05:56 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,210,361 times

Advertisements

I'll say Irvine. This isn't a slam dunk though as I'm happy living in South FL, but I think ultimately I'd rather choose to be in Irvine. We have several friends there and being in the LA metro is more appealing than South FL.

Greenville, SC v Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'll say Irvine. This isn't a slam dunk though as I'm happy living in South FL, but I think ultimately I'd rather choose to be in Irvine. We have several friends there and being in the LA metro is more appealing than South FL.

Greenville, SC v Nashville
Nashville, but the one in North Carolina since you didn't chalk out a state. The TN one is overpriced and overhyped for what it offers, whereas the other one remains the idealized image when people think of the word "Nashville". It is close enough to Raleigh for telework a day or two a week (45 minutes with no traffic), just over two hours from the Outer Banks, two hours from Richmond, four from DC, plus it has Rocky Mount right across I-95 for everyday things like big boxes, dining, a golf course, a hospital (hopefully COVID will give it a jump start) and a little town for strolling. US 64 is pretty much up to interstate standards between 95 and Raleigh, so it has the potential to really grow. I'm surprised that Rocky Mount didn't become bigger than what it is since arguably its grid is a little bigger than Raleigh's and the second best in the state after Charlotte's.

Perryville, KY or Holly Springs, MS?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:11 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,906,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Nashville, but the one in North Carolina since you didn't chalk out a state. The TN one is overpriced and overhyped for what it offers, whereas the other one remains the idealized image when people think of the word "Nashville". It is close enough to Raleigh for telework a day or two a week (45 minutes with no traffic), just over two hours from the Outer Banks, two hours from Richmond, four from DC, plus it has Rocky Mount right across I-95 for everyday things like big boxes, dining, a golf course, a hospital (hopefully COVID will give it a jump start) and a little town for strolling. US 64 is pretty much up to interstate standards between 95 and Raleigh, so it has the potential to really grow. I'm surprised that Rocky Mount didn't become bigger than what it is since arguably its grid is a little bigger than Raleigh's and the second best in the state after Charlotte's.

Perryville, KY or Holly Springs, MS?
Perryville... The local public school system is one of the strongest in Kentucky (top 10%) while Holly Springs has one of the worst in Mississippi. Everything else aside, that's enough for me to choose one over the other.

Chula Vista, CA or San Leandro, CA?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 PM

Hmmm, I'm gonna take San Leandro even though I'm not familiar with it. But I'd rather be in the Bay Area than outside San Diego. So unless all of San Leandro is a dump or a war zone, it'll do even though I know Chula Vista is a nice area.

Greenville, SC v Nashville, TN

Old 03-24-2020, 09:07 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,084,754 times
Quote:
Greenville, SC v Nashville, TN
I'll take Greenville just because it's not as overwhelmingly large. I do like Nashville though, just too big and sprawly.

Galveston, TX or Brunswick, GA?

Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,568,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
I'll take Greenville just because it's not as overwhelmingly large. I do like Nashville though, just too big and sprawly.

Galveston, TX or Brunswick, GA?
Brunswick. I have a friend who retired there. It's a very beautiful area of coastal GA.

Melbourne, FL or Wilmington, NC?

Old 03-24-2020, 09:58 AM

This one is tough....not super thrilled either way, but certainly could be worse. I'd almost go for Wilmington just for a change of scenery, but for practicality Melbourne is the choice. Keep it in FL, we are very comfortable in FL, downtown Melbourne is ok, and maybe someday Virgin Trains will put a stop there for easy connection to the rest of FL.

Albuquerque v Virginia Beach

Old 03-24-2020, 10:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,494,638 times
Quote:
This one is tough....not super thrilled either way, but certainly could be worse. I'd almost go for Wilmington just for a change of scenery, but for practicality Melbourne is the choice. Keep it in FL, we are very comfortable in FL, downtown Melbourne is ok, and maybe someday Virgin Trains will put a stop there for easy connection to the rest of FL.

Albuquerque v Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach

Richmond, VA or Kansas City, MO?

Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,568,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Virginia Beach

Kansas City. Good area and have always enjoyed my visits there. Underrated. Don't like its being so landlocked, but has a bigger upside than downside. I like Richmond, but would prefer KC in this case.

San Diego, CA or Portland, OR?

Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,084,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Richmond. I like its history and character. KC winters are too harsh for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
San Diego, CA or Portland, OR?
San Diego. Being close to Mexico is appealing, and it has the weather advantage.

Carson City, NV or Idaho Falls, ID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City