Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 02:29 PM

4,766 posts, read 3,074,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Casper. I like Wyoming well enough. Wouldn't mind exploring that part of the west some more.

Colorado Springs, Colorado or Tucson, Arizona?
Colorado Springs... would have to put up with some winter cold,
but would choose that over too-hot-for-hiking S AZ summers.
Tucson would be a good place to spend the winter, though.

Bend, Oregon or Idaho Falls, Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,086,800 times
Bend by default since it's a lot bigger and "only" a bit over 3 hours from Portland. Looking at streetviews, though, Idaho Falls' downtown looks surprisingly desolate and quiet for being one of the major towns in one of the fastest growing states. Lots of empty storefronts and nobody outside.

Duluth, MN or Jefferson City, MO?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:19 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Bend by default since it's a lot bigger and "only" a bit over 3 hours from Portland. Looking at streetviews, though, Idaho Falls' downtown looks surprisingly desolate and quiet for being one of the major towns in one of the fastest growing states. Lots of empty storefronts and nobody outside.

Duluth, MN or Jefferson City, MO?
This is probably the only time you will see or hear me voice a preference for Missouri's sleepy* state capital.

I'm not a winterphobe, but in contrast to the Twin Cities, Duluth simply doesn't have enough going on IMO to make me put up with nine months of it, and Jeff City has enough of it to satisfy me. There's also more interesting places close to it: Columbia, home to the flagship state university, and Bagnell Dam, behind which the Lake of the Ozarks stretches, are both within a 30- to 60-minute drive away (both St. Louis and Kansas City are about two-and-a-half hours away on US 50).

*At least it was when I was growing up in Kansas City. It's grown since then, but Columbia's grown even more, and I don't think it's gotten more lively as a result. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:25 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
This is probably the only time you will see or hear me voice a preference for Missouri's sleepy* state capital.

I'm not a winterphobe, but in contrast to the Twin Cities, Duluth simply doesn't have enough going on IMO to make me put up with nine months of it, and Jeff City has enough of it to satisfy me. There's also more interesting places close to it: Columbia, home to the flagship state university, and Bagnell Dam, behind which the Lake of the Ozarks stretches, are both within a 30- to 60-minute drive away (both St. Louis and Kansas City are about two-and-a-half hours away on US 50).

*At least it was when I was growing up in Kansas City. It's grown since then, but Columbia's grown even more, and I don't think it's gotten more lively as a result. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?
Columbia, SC. Very underrated small metro. Great buying power, good economy, a lot to do for its size, great location between Charleston/Charlotte/Greenville. Columbia, MO is good, but it's way more landlocked than I'd like and it's just not at the level of Columbia, SC.

Albany, NY or Harrisburg,PA?

Old 04-02-2021, 05:35 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,902,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Columbia, SC. Very underrated small metro. Great buying power, good economy, a lot to do for its size, great location between Charleston/Charlotte/Greenville. Columbia, MO is good, but it's way more landlocked than I'd like and it's just not at the level of Columbia, SC.

Albany, NY or Harrisburg,PA?
Albany... better assortment of neighborhoods and it's home to a slightly larger metro area full of jobs/amenities.

I like Harrisburg's location a little bit better and if we were talking about areas outside the city, then this would be a harder decision, but for the city proper, Albany for me.

Celina, OH or Hillsdale, MI?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:16 AM

3,498 posts, read 3,421,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Albany... better assortment of neighborhoods and it's home to a slightly larger metro area full of jobs/amenities.

I like Harrisburg's location a little bit better and if we were talking about areas outside the city, then this would be a harder decision, but for the city proper, Albany for me.

Celina, OH or Hillsdale, MI?
First off, I don't like how isolated either of those towns are, so I wouldn't willingly pick living in either of these towns on my own. I'm torn on this one, since I like Celina's location on that lake, and its downtown jumps out slightly more vs. the one in Hillsdale, from checking street view. Though I also like Hillsdale not being far from say like Battle Creek, Jackson, and a little further away Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo. A few online reports say that Grand Lake(if I'm reading correctly its name) near Celina is dealing with algae issues, which is sad to hear.

Sigh if you put a gun to my head and I had to pick one or the other, I'd say Celina. And I've always wanted to explore western and northwest Ohio more, i.e. Lima, Waponketa(sp?, mainly for the Armstrong Air and Space Museum), to name examples. I've explored Michigan more than I have Ohio, hence my answer. And hey eventually if I wanted to move on somewhere else and I got bored living in Celina, noone could stop me from moving lol. At least online shipping nowadays, would make it easier to live in a rural town.

Two Midwest industrial rust belt cities that've suffered decline: Peoria, IL, or Youngstown, OH?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:36 PM

3,936 posts, read 2,247,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
First off, I don't like how isolated either of those towns are, so I wouldn't willingly pick living in either of these towns on my own. I'm torn on this one, since I like Celina's location on that lake, and its downtown jumps out slightly more vs. the one in Hillsdale, from checking street view. Though I also like Hillsdale not being far from say like Battle Creek, Jackson, and a little further away Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo. A few online reports say that Grand Lake(if I'm reading correctly its name) near Celina is dealing with algae issues, which is sad to hear.

Sigh if you put a gun to my head and I had to pick one or the other, I'd say Celina. And I've always wanted to explore western and northwest Ohio more, i.e. Lima, Waponketa(sp?, mainly for the Armstrong Air and Space Museum), to name examples. I've explored Michigan more than I have Ohio, hence my answer. And hey eventually if I wanted to move on somewhere else and I got bored living in Celina, noone could stop me from moving lol. At least online shipping nowadays, would make it easier to live in a rural town.

Two Midwest industrial rust belt cities that've suffered decline: Peoria, IL, or Youngstown, OH?
Youngstown. I'd rather live in Ohio than Illinois. Ardmore OK or Russellville Ark?

Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Youngstown. I'd rather live in Ohio than Illinois. Ardmore OK or Russellville Ark?
Russellville. It's on the fringes of the Ozarks, which are far lovelier than south-central Oklahoma.

BTW, historical trivia: Ardmore is one of a string of Oklahoma towns named for stops on the storied Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. (Two others I know of: Wynnewood and Overbrook.) The surveyor who laid out the railroad line connecting them had worked for the PRR. US 81 runs through them, and I-35 skirts them.

Urbana, Ill., or Urbandale, Iowa?

Old 04-04-2021, 10:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,859,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Russellville. It's on the fringes of the Ozarks, which are far lovelier than south-central Oklahoma.

BTW, historical trivia: Ardmore is one of a string of Oklahoma towns named for stops on the storied Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. (Two others I know of: Wynnewood and Overbrook.) The surveyor who laid out the railroad line connecting them had worked for the PRR. US 81 runs through them, and I-35 skirts them.

Urbana, Ill., or Urbandale, Iowa?
Neither would be ideal but Urbandale, IA is at least near Des Moines. Urbana has University of Illinois's main campus but aside from that Urbana and Carbondale are in the middle of nowhere and are lesser towns when compared to Des Moines (I would think, I have never been to either area).

Buras, LA or Houston, AK

Old 04-05-2021, 05:09 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Neither would be ideal but Urbandale, IA is at least near Des Moines. Urbana has University of Illinois's main campus but aside from that Urbana and Carbondale are in the middle of nowhere and are lesser towns when compared to Des Moines (I would think, I have never been to either area).

Buras, LA or Houston, AK
Two of the last states I'd want to live. I'll got with Buars, LA. I like the South. The Winters in AK arjust too brutal, the light/dark cycles would be horrible, and the whole state is just too isolated.

Riverside, CA or St. Louis, MO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City