Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 10:23 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,423,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd pick Radford. I really like that part of Virginia, and I like its riverside setting and proximity to Roanoke and Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Boone strikes me as a bit too touristy and too dominated by the presence of ASU. Radford seems to be a better balance of a college town, yet the college is not all-encompassing.

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin or Bardstown, Kentucky?
Bardstown. Lake Geneva strikes me as too touristy, IMO. I like Bardstown as it is, and it doesn't strike me as dominated by tourism. And I imagine winters would be a little more mild, in Bardstown.

Santa Cruz, CA, or Newport, RI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 10:59 AM

4,778 posts, read 3,079,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Bardstown. Lake Geneva strikes me as too touristy, IMO. I like Bardstown as it is, and it doesn't strike me as dominated by tourism. And I imagine winters would be a little more mild, in Bardstown.

Santa Cruz, CA, or Newport, RI?
I've spent very little time in Santa Cruz, so not sure if it still deserves the hippy-dippy stereotype,
or if it's becoming an outer suburb of Silicon Valley. Hopefully neither. But regardless,
the climate and landscape are just too great not to choose it.

Kansas City or St Louis?

Old 09-20-2021, 11:32 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,804,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I've spent very little time in Santa Cruz, so not sure if it still deserves the hippy-dippy stereotype,
or if it's becoming an outer suburb of Silicon Valley. Hopefully neither. But regardless,

Kansas City or St Louis?
Kansas City.
A bit nicer area overall, at least more my style anyway.
Better downtown. Generally easier to navigate.
That much closer to the wide open spaces out west.

Fort Myers, Florida or Oceanside, California?

Old 09-20-2021, 11:34 AM

16,584 posts, read 10,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Kansas City or St Louis?
Kansas City for sure. St. Louis as a whole has too much crime. And you're not necessarily safe in the suburbs either, as East St. Louis and Ferguson will attest. Kansas City, on the other hand, has some very pleasant suburbs, especially Overland Park and Olathe.

Key West, FL or South Padre Island, TX?

Old 09-20-2021, 11:43 AM

14,340 posts, read 9,218,513 times
Taking them both:

For the one, Oceanside. It's one of the San Diego suburbs that's right on the Pacific with a really pretty beach; while the Gulf beaches are just outside Fort Myers, they're not in the city itself.

For the other, Key West. Besides the Hemingway legend, there's its longstanding status as an LGBT-friendly resort destination.

Key West, Fla., or Rehoboth Beach, Del.?

Old 09-20-2021, 12:19 PM

16,584 posts, read 10,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Taking them both:

For the one, Oceanside. It's one of the San Diego suburbs that's right on the Pacific with a really pretty beach; while the Gulf beaches are just outside Fort Myers, they're not in the city itself.

For the other, Key West. Besides the Hemingway legend, there's its longstanding status as an LGBT-friendly resort destination.

Key West, Fla., or Rehoboth Beach, Del.?
I have no desire to live in any beach resort, but since I have to choose one or the other, I'll take Rehoboth. Reason being, you're not stuck on a small island with only one, two-lane road in and out, which is a major consideration if a hurricane is bearing down on you. Also, the actual beach in Rehoboth is nicer than what's available in Key West, even though the swimming season is much shorter in Rehoboth.

Branson, Missouri or Gatlinburg, Tennessee?

Old 09-20-2021, 01:02 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,078,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Branson, Missouri or Gatlinburg, Tennessee?
Gatlinburg. Both are more touristy than I prefer in a place to live, but Gatlinburg at least isn't as shamelessly tacky as its neighbor, Pigeon Forge. I've never been to Branson, but have heard that it more closely resembles Pigeon Forge than Gatlinburg - not a good thing to me.

Athens, Tennessee or Athens, Ohio?

Old 09-20-2021, 02:45 PM

6,437 posts, read 5,091,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Gatlinburg. Both are more touristy than I prefer in a place to live, but Gatlinburg at least isn't as shamelessly tacky as its neighbor, Pigeon Forge. I've never been to Branson, but have heard that it more closely resembles Pigeon Forge than Gatlinburg - not a good thing to me.

Athens, Tennessee or Athens, Ohio?
Athens, TN. I prefer the tourist town vibe over the college town vibe, and I'm guessing east Tennessee gets tourism throughout the year, whereas Athens, OH would be dead during the summer and winter. Athens, OH also isn't as deep into Appalachia, so its scenery (while pretty) isn't on the level of east Tennessee.

Cañon City, CO or Two Harbors, MN?

Old 09-20-2021, 04:40 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,249,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Athens, TN. I prefer the tourist town vibe over the college town vibe, and I'm guessing east Tennessee gets tourism throughout the year, whereas Athens, OH would be dead during the summer and winter. Athens, OH also isn't as deep into Appalachia, so its scenery (while pretty) isn't on the level of east Tennessee.

Cañon City, CO or Two Harbors, MN?
Canon City. Two Harbors is too small. Concord NH or Burlington VT?

Old 09-20-2021, 08:34 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,423,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Canon City. Two Harbors is too small. Concord NH or Burlington VT?
Concord I suppose, if I had to pick one. I worry Burlington's isolation to other places would get to me, after a while.

Denton, TX, or Norman, OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City