Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times

Advertisements

Yes, no one is arguing that the average high temperature for summer days in Sac is higher than many places. But there are more things that go into comfortable weather than the high point temperature of the day. Daily temperature fluctuations and humidity play large roles.

Honolulu will be in the 70s overnight during the summer months, with high humidity. Sacramento will be in the 50s overnight in the summer months, with very minimal humidity. I'll take Sac personally. Hawaii is great as a vacation from the cold weather in your hometown, the weather gets old if you're there permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Yes, no one is arguing that the average high temperature for summer days in Sac is higher than many places. But there are more things that go into comfortable weather than the high point temperature of the day. Daily temperature fluctuations and humidity play large roles.

Honolulu will be in the 70s overnight during the summer months, with high humidity. Sacramento will be in the 50s overnight in the summer months, with very minimal humidity. I'll take Sac personally. Hawaii is great as a vacation from the cold weather in your hometown, the weather gets old if you're there permanently.
Yeah, personally I don't consider 30-40 degree daily temperature fluctuations something positive for the most part. If you want seasonal weather Hawaii certainly gets old but if yuou don't care about that then it's very ideal.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A lot of it is spotty and random, not really creating cohesive vibrant communities. Kind of like Orange County in a way. Either way I don't see what East Bay residents being connected to BART have to do with any of that.

Well some people might consider that the IE but a lot don't either. Either way like Chimerique comparing Sac to hot desert cities to try and make it look comfortable only shows how hot Sac actually is. So a city not in the desert is not as hot as other desert cities?!? Get out! I guess that must mean Sac is mild during the summer since it's not as hot as Phoenix.....
Yes, a lot of it is definitely spotty and random right now, but you think that's still going to be the case in 2025 or 2030?

The East Bay residents matter because that's a large number of people who will now have easy access to downtown San Jose and a larger commuter catchment is going to mean more businesses, and residents to go along with that, are going to be lured either to work and/or live there. There's already a TOD push for VTA and this will similarly be the case for BART. Of course, this is barring a major man-made or natural catastrophe.

I think the overall point with Sacramento's summer heat is that it's way overblown. You can show the point by contrasting or by other means. I agree with the main point--Sacramento summers are hotter than Oakland's and some, including me, find it preferable. And this isn't to say I like ridiculously hot summers because I don't. I like some measure of heat to the point where it's still pretty comfortable and very much signifies itself as the arrival of summer.

In thinking this through, I do think the trees made a difference. Does Sacramento actually have a lot of trees or am I misremembering this?

Old 11-09-2016, 06:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, a lot of it is definitely spotty and random right now, but you think that's still going to be the case in 2025 or 2030?

The East Bay residents matter because that's a large number of people who will now have easy access to downtown San Jose and a larger commuter catchment is going to mean more businesses, and residents to go along with that, are going to be lured either to work and/or live there. There's already a TOD push for VTA and this will similarly be the case for BART. Of course, this is barring a major man-made or natural catastrophe.

I think the overall point with Sacramento's summer heat is that it's way overblown. You can show the point by contrasting or by other means. I agree with the main point--Sacramento summers are hotter than Oakland's and some, including me, find it preferable. And this isn't to say I like ridiculously hot summers because I don't. I like some measure of heat to the point where it's still pretty comfortable and very much signifies itself as the arrival of summer.

In thinking this through, I do think the trees made a difference. Does Sacramento actually have a lot of trees or am I misremembering this?
Likely yeah. There really isn't any vacant land and it costs a lot to bulldoze and redevelop. It doesn't really have good bones to work with either.

Downtown San Jose isn't a highly sought after employment center despite it have better transit connections right now as it is. Most companies want to be farther west in the Valley or North San Jose. BART has been terrible overall with TOD so far too.

If you come from the South or desert yeah I suppose it's overblown but it still gets very hot often in summer. Yes there are a lot of trees in the older parts which is nice.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:19 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Average Summer High's
Sac: 87, 92, 91
Ontario: 86, 92, 94

Yeah huge difference there...
It's simple minded posts like this that make me go on and on about Sacramento weather.

Your comfort level through out the day and night. Your utility bill throughout the day and night. Your ability to truly experience cool weather in the summer are not reflective in only the high temp for the day. There are many other weather factors in play that choose to ignore because all you pay attention to is the high for the day.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-09-2016 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Either way like Chimerique comparing Sac to hot desert cities to try and make it look comfortable only shows how hot Sac actually is. I guess that must mean Sac is mild during the summer since it's not as hot as Phoenix.....
Chimerique compares to all cities across the nation. Last I heard Miami, Austin, DC, St. Louis were not desert cities. You just can't admit when you are wrong.

I know you were trying to be a smartas... with the last comment, but actually you are correct Sacramento is MILD DURING THE SUMMER from early a.m. hours to 12noon, 1 and 2pm daily, more often than not.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Yes, they are included. I lived there for a while. If that's an issue for you still: Sacramento does not have the kind of unbearable, though dry heat of places such as Palm Springs, Phoenix and Vegas. Sacramento has hot, but for some, enjoyably hot summers. Were it ten degrees higher at peak and to run a month or two longer with such heat, then the number of people who might consider that a good heat drastically dwindles. Good? Clear?

Even a place like San Bernardino pretty much tips into the uncomfortably hot dry heat territory that Sacramento doesn't. It's not just the somewhat lower peak temperatures for Sacramento, but that the day better ramps up to that heat and it seemed like there was a hell of a lot shade trees in Sacramento.
Good post and descriptions. Take note, though, and I know you said this before like I have...that Sacramento not only has much more comfortable weather than the desert southwest, but Sacramento is more comfortable than many places in the midwest, south, and east.

Yes we do have a lot of trees.....I'm still wondering where you live now.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-09-2016 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Good post and descriptions. Take not though and I know you said this before like I have...that Sacramento not only has much more comfortable than the desert southwest but it's more comfortable than many places in the midwest, south, and east.

Yes we do have a lot of trees.....I'm still wondering where you live now.
NYC, but spent ample time in various parts of socal, and long visits to the bay and to some extent sacramento.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Likely yeah. There really isn't any vacant land and it costs a lot to bulldoze and redevelop. It doesn't really have good bones to work with either.

Downtown San Jose isn't a highly sought after employment center despite it have better transit connections right now as it is. Most companies want to be farther west in the Valley or North San Jose. BART has been terrible overall with TOD so far too.

If you come from the South or desert yeah I suppose it's overblown but it still gets very hot often in summer. Yes there are a lot of trees in the older parts which is nice.
You think it's likely almost a decade and half now though you recognize the population is growing and there's not much vacant land left?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Chimerique also compares Sac to Austin, St. Louis, Atlanta, etc. also. Sac doesn't just have better summer weather than Phoenix or Vegas, it arguably has better summer weather than 80% of the country. Coastal California is about the only place that has better summers, unless one prefers a Pacific Northwest mid 70's day to the 80s and 90s. I'd rather have the heat personally. Especially because the uncomfortable heat is often isolated to 4-5 hours out of the day.

Now for purposes of this comparison? Sure, Sac has the worst weather out of all 4 IMO.
Excellent post!

But your last comment is buying into the distortion and misperception of Sacramento weather. Using the word "worst" puts us in the category that we truly have bad weather which is so not true.

All four cities have excellent weather overall, mild winters, cool summers for at least half the day, cool summer nights, and lack of violent inclement weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City