Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah last time I was there was summer 2014. Unimpressed for a city of over 1 million people and as an anchor to a metro of nearly 2 million people.

Now I'm going to use your argument. Have you EVER left San Jose??? You really think SJ has a good a downtown as any in the country?? What are you even talking about?

SJ is the 10th most populous city in the country. NYC, Chicago, LA, Houston, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Dallas are all larger with better downtown. Smaller cities than SJ with better downtowns include Austin, SF, Seattle, DC, Boston, Portland, Baltimore, Sacramento, Atlanta, Oakland, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.

If you genuinely think downtown SJ has just as much going on as other downtowns all over the country, you need to travel more or get out of the fantasy you've built for yourself in your mind. Even people I know born and raised in San Jose admit their downtown sucks and the city is extremely boring.
I was in Portland, San Diego, Oakland, SF, Seattle, Sac., L.A. and others. No, they don't have better downtown than San Jose except for few: Philly, NY, Chi and New Orleans maybe.

I honestly don't think you spend much time in Downtown SJ. How are other downtowns better? What do they have Downtown SJ doesn't have? A lot of downtowns you mentioned suck: Atlanta, Sacramento, Oakland, Houston, Dallas and Baltimore(except for Inner Harbor and new flourishing Inner Harbor East).

You sure don't know what you're talking about and loss all credibility when you mention Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Sac and Cleveland having better downtown. Their downtown don't have enough critical mass to lure Wholefoods downtown yet.

Visit the Tech Museum, SAP arena, San Pedro Market, SoFA market, Historical district with lots of chilled places and Martin Luther King public library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah last time I was there was summer 2014. Unimpressed for a city of over 1 million people and as an anchor to a metro of nearly 2 million people.

Now I'm going to use your argument. Have you EVER left San Jose??? You really think SJ has a good a downtown as any in the country?? What are you even talking about?

SJ is the 10th most populous city in the country. NYC, Chicago, LA, Houston, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Dallas are all larger with better downtown. Smaller cities than SJ with better downtowns include Austin, SF, Seattle, DC, Boston, Portland, Baltimore, Sacramento, Atlanta, Oakland, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.

If you genuinely think downtown SJ has just as much going on as other downtowns all over the country, you need to travel more or get out of the fantasy you've built for yourself in your mind. Even people I know born and raised in San Jose admit their downtown sucks and the city is extremely boring.
Annexing a bunch of Bay Area suburbia doesn't make it a big city. This is a secondary regional downtown along with Oakland and Long Beach. In that scenario it does ok. Not if judged against actual urban cores.

But agreed, "Topper" is purely a homer.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:55 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it's not, San Jose is boring and dull and BART won't change that. Downtown San Jose isn't a that big or important job center either. Plus the area is already ridiculously expensive and overpriced so don't expect "artists" and "hipsters" to move there and make the place any less banal.
Having the East Bay become a greater part of San Jose's jobs catchment will drastically change things. It's not foing to make it a particularly artsy or hip--just denser and with more amenities and with greater pedestrian activity and retail and population density.

Quote:
Average Summer High's
Sac: 87, 92, 91
Ontario: 86, 92, 94

Yeah huge difference there...
Yea, I misspoke--the Inland Empire has some variation as it covers a massive area

Riverside: 95, 96, 92
San Bernardino: 96, 97, 92
Indio: 103, 107, 106
Palm Springs: 103, 108, 107

So you got me on this one--I should've been more specific about where in the Inland Empire. Do you see some difference between some of the hotter parts of the Inland Empire and Sacramento? Do you see how those latter numbers are in line with Vegas and Phoenix temperatures and that there is a significant difference between the summer temperatures of those and Sacramento? Sacramento's are merely hot and its relatively short lived.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Having the East Bay become a greater part of San Jose's jobs catchment will drastically change things. It's not foing to make it a particularly artsy or hip--just denser and with more amenities and with greater pedestrian activity and retail and population density.
I don't really see how. All those employment centers are in boring suburban office parks. Whatever pedestrian activity is created will be gone come 5 o'clock.

Quote:
Yea, I misspoke--the Inland Empire has some variation as it covers a massive area

Riverside: 95, 96, 92
San Bernardino: 96, 97, 92
Indio: 103, 107, 106
Palm Springs: 103, 108, 107

So you got me on this one--I should've been more specific about where in the Inland Empire. Do you see some difference between some of the hotter parts of the Inland Empire and Sacramento? Do you see how those latter numbers are in line with Vegas and Phoenix temperatures and that there is a significant difference between the summer temperatures of those and Sacramento? Sacramento's are merely hot and its relatively short lived.
Palm Springs and Indio really aren't considered the Inland Empire.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:24 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I don't really see how. All those employment centers are in boring suburban office parks. Whatever pedestrian activity is created will be gone come 5 o'clock.

Palm Springs and Indio really aren't considered the Inland Empire.
Because there's been a concommitant drive to build denser housing in San Jose which will likely continue. The extension to downtown at its earliest will be about a decade away. 2030 is going to see San Jose having become a major urban center in the Bay Area unless there's a major economic or natural catastrophe.

Yes, they are included. I lived there for a while. If that's an issue for you still: Sacramento does not have the kind of unbearable, though dry heat of places such as Palm Springs, Phoenix and Vegas. Sacramento has hot, but for some, enjoyably hot summers. Were it ten degrees higher at peak and to run a month or two longer with such heat, then the number of people who might consider that a good heat drastically dwindles. Good? Clear?

Even a place like San Bernardino pretty much tips into the uncomfortably hot dry heat territory that Sacramento doesn't. It's not just the somewhat lower peak temperatures for Sacramento, but that the day better ramps up to that heat and it seemed like there was a hell of a lot shade trees in Sacramento.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because there's been a concommitant drive to build denser housing in San Jose which will likely continue. The extension to downtown at its earliest will be about a decade away. 2030 is going to see San Jose having become a major urban center in the Bay Area unless there's a major economic or natural catastrophe.

Yes, they are included. I lived there for a while. If that's an issue for you still: Sacramento does not have the kind of unbearable, though dry heat of places such as Palm Springs, Phoenix and Vegas. Sacramento has hot, but for some, enjoyably hot summers. Were it ten degrees higher at peak and to run a month or two longer with such heat, then the number of people who might consider that a good heat drastically dwindles. Good? Clear?

Even a place like San Bernardino pretty much tips into the uncomfortably hot dry heat territory that Sacramento doesn't. It's not just the somewhat lower peak temperatures for Sacramento, but that the day better ramps up to that heat and it seemed like there was a hell of a lot shade trees in Sacramento.
A lot of it is spotty and random, not really creating cohesive vibrant communities. Kind of like Orange County in a way. Either way I don't see what East Bay residents being connected to BART have to do with any of that.

Well some people might consider that the IE but a lot don't either. Either way like Chimerique comparing Sac to hot desert cities to try and make it look comfortable only shows how hot Sac actually is. So a city not in the desert is not as hot as other desert cities?!? Get out! I guess that must mean Sac is mild during the summer since it's not as hot as Phoenix.....

Old 11-09-2016, 02:11 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Chimerique also compares Sac to Austin, St. Louis, Atlanta, etc. also. Sac doesn't just have better summer weather than Phoenix or Vegas, it arguably has better summer weather than 80% of the country. Coastal California is about the only place that has better summers, unless one prefers a Pacific Northwest mid 70's day to the 80s and 90s. I'd rather have the heat personally. Especially because the uncomfortable heat is often isolated to 4-5 hours out of the day.

Now for purposes of this comparison? Sure, Sac has the worst weather out of all 4 IMO.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Chimerique also compares Sac to Austin, St. Louis, Atlanta, etc. also. Sac doesn't just have better summer weather than Phoenix or Vegas, it arguably has better summer weather than 80% of the country. Coastal California is about the only place that has better summers, unless one prefers a Pacific Northwest mid 70's day to the 80s and 90s. I'd rather have the heat personally. Especially because the uncomfortable heat is often isolated to 4-5 hours out of the day.

Now for purposes of this comparison? Sure, Sac has the worst weather out of all 4 IMO.
80% of the country doesn't live in the South.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Not saying the South alone. I prefer Sac's summer weather to Seattle, Chicago, New York, Hawaii.

For example, during June-August Sacramento has lower lows than either Chicago, New York, or DC. Plus little humidity. I will take the hotter, drier weather mid-day to sunset in Sacramento than the warmer nights and constant humidity of Chi, NYC, and DC.

Edit: I should say, I hate when threads with Sac in them get derailed into weather-chat. So apologies for continuing this tangent. Us nerds love to bicker though

Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Not saying the South alone. I prefer Sac's summer weather to Seattle, Chicago, New York, Hawaii.
That's fine but Sac is hotter than all those cities in summer. Heat index is probably higher in Honolulu but the trade winds make it feel more comfortable than Sac imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City