Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Right and your opinion is in concert with people who want heat-good for you, God bless you and your hot weather, but for people who want to be extremely comfortable outside in the summer, Oakland is just about perfect( I have to pincj myself sometimes) while Sacramento is far from it.
I certainly do not think Oakland's summers are really comfortable. I consider them, especially in the morning, chilly and somewhat annoying. Weather's generally not a particularly important factor to me, but the summer weather in Oakland is pretty bad. Both being uncomfortably chilly in the morning and never quite getting hot enough to signal summer. Sort of like getting it lukewarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:19 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, Sacramento summer low temperatures do range in the upper 50's to low 60's very similar to San Jose and Oakland. So you do actually admit how COOL it gets in Sacramento in the middle of the summer. But nobody complains about Sacramento not having Real summer weather because our highs average 88F to 92F with full Sun, unlike a high of 68F to 73F, Cloudy and Overcast for Oakland.

It's pretty simple, Sacramento averages very cool A.M. temperatures in the summer. For example, 6am to 12pm(noon), it will be very comfortable, just a few degrees warmer than the Bay Area - any where from 58F to 78F on average, but by 5pm Sacramento may jump to 92F (on average), while Oakland tops out at 72F and it may still be overcast and cloudy.

For most Amercian cities, a Summer day that averages in the mid 50's to low 70's is simply NOT a normal summer.

Most American cities, start their summer day muggy and humid in the 70's, top out in the 90's with uncomfortable Dew Points all morning, night and day long.

For comparison, Phoenix starts out their summer day (on average) in the 90's, toping out 105F to 110F (on average), it may be bone dry but never ever is it cool and comfortable; whereas, Sacramento will have a very comfortable night (often no A/C needed) and very comfortable A.M. temps in the 50's to 70's (no A/C needed), but in the afternoon it will get warm to hot (80's to 90's) on average with vey comfortable Dew points all morning, day, night long.
I've never denied how cool Sac's mornings are, they are straight up simple facts.

Sac can easily be 10 degrees warmer than Concord by noon and at 6pm at times. I showed that in your Sac weather thread earlier in the summer. Yes the Devil is in the Details; despite similar highs Sac can be noticeable warmer overall still than the inland East Bay.

The comparison is between San Jose, Oakland, LB, and Sac.....not Phoenix or Austin. You always try to bring up the hottest cities in America in when they have nothing to do with the thread to downplay Sac's summer heat.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I certainly do not think Oakland's summers are really comfortable. I consider them, especially in the morning, chilly and somewhat annoying. Weather's generally not a particularly important factor to me, but the summer weather in Oakland is pretty bad. Both being uncomfortably chilly in the morning and never quite getting hot enough to signal summer. Sort of like getting it lukewarm.
Haha your opinion is just that. I embrace you right to have one.

I have hosted hundreds of people from out of town over the years who hail from all over the world and I dont even have to ask--they volunteer praise about the weather-ESPECIALLY IN SUMMER...So thanks for your opinion but Im good.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:02 AM

141 posts, read 133,584 times
San Jose getting not much love in this poll.Yet it seems to do well versus cities outside of California.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha your opinion is just that. I embrace you right to have one.

I have hosted hundreds of people from out of town over the years who hail from all over the world and I dont even have to ask--they volunteer praise about the weather-ESPECIALLY IN SUMMER...So thanks for your opinion but Im good.
Exactly, I know a good amount of people who kvetch about summers in SF and Oakland. It's completely understandable.

All four cities are okay and with their own issues. I'd add that weather usually isn't high on the list in terms of complaints for all four of these. The Sacramento summer heat especially seems to be overblown in this topic.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:21 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
San Jose getting not much love in this poll.Yet it seems to do well versus cities outside of California.
San Jose seems to lose many polls in citydata regardless if it's being compared to cities inside or outside of CA

Old 11-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
San Jose seems to lose many polls in citydata regardless if it's being compared to cities inside or outside of CA
San Jose is building up to be a much better city in some ways. It's doing a lot more mixed-use construction to make the city more pleasant. I think by the time BART actually connects to the VTA light rail system and the soon to be electrified Caltrain, San Jose will probably do pretty well in polls like this.

One thing I don't quite understand is why San Jose isn't able to build large tracts of mixed-use, mid-rise buildings. Commercial and residential prices are extremely high in the city and there is little left to historically preserve. I understand that there are height restrictions due to neighboring airports, but that shouldn't be much of an issue since a city like DC is able to push large areas of dense mid-rise construction.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-07-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
San Jose's best days are ahead of it. The built form is there downtown, safety is top notch, job scene is killer as we all know. Like OyCrumbler said, once all of the transit upgrades happen (underground BART station downtown, electrified Caltrain, CalHSR at some point) the city will do better in these match-ups. North San Jose is building these huge commie-block type apartments that don't have the best street integration but nonetheless pack people in.

The South Bay is just getting started on it's urbanization, I feel like one day downtown San Jose will truly be a clear third node along with SF and Oakland. Right now that third node is kind of this amorphous thing that exists all over the Santa Clara Valley.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
San Jose's best days are ahead of it. The built form is there downtown, safety is top notch, job scene is killer as we all know. Like OyCrumbler said, once all of the transit upgrades happen (underground BART station downtown, electrified Caltrain, CalHSR at some point) the city will do better in these match-ups. North San Jose is building these huge commie-block type apartments that don't have the best street integration but nonetheless pack people in.

The South Bay is just getting started on it's urbanization, I feel like one day downtown San Jose will truly be a clear third node along with SF and Oakland. Right now that third node is kind of this amorphous thing that exists all over the Santa Clara Valley.
Yea, once BART connects with Diridonn Station and downtown San Jose, then you're looking at what will become a much more urban and exciting San Jose. Unfortunately, that's still a decade away. Even more unfortunate is thar BART was built with very idiosyncratic track so it's not remotely realistic to integrate Caltrain and BART to become a single service which would massively improve transit in the Bay Area.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Downtown San Jose is already exciting. It's one of the nicest downtown in the Bay Area and is a truly a classy urban center with all kinds of transportation to the Bay Area and Santa Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City