Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
See how Bay Area people exaggerate Sacramento weather. Which is so funny coming from this guy from Walnut Creek which is one of the warmest/hottest places in the Bay Area in the summer with overall average temps just a few degrees shy of Sacramento temps.

Sacramento summers average very comfortable temps from 6am to 1pm - more like 99% of the people are awake, working and playing.
And no one from this area tries to downplay how hot it is in summer like you do with Sac. The high temps may be similar but Sac is hotter for longer; it gets hotter earlier, cools off later, and heat waves lasts longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 01:46 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So does Sacramento, 56F to 58F. The lows for Oakland and San Jose range from 55-58 from May through August FYI.
Yes, Sacramento summer low temperatures do range in the upper 50's to low 60's very similar to San Jose and Oakland. So you do actually admit how COOL it gets in Sacramento in the middle of the summer. But nobody complains about Sacramento not having Real summer weather because our highs average 88F to 92F with full Sun, unlike a high of 68F to 73F, Cloudy and Overcast for Oakland.

It's pretty simple, Sacramento averages very cool A.M. temperatures in the summer. For example, 6am to 12pm(noon), it will be very comfortable, just a few degrees warmer than the Bay Area - any where from 58F to 78F on average, but by 5pm Sacramento may jump to 92F (on average), while Oakland tops out at 72F and it may still be overcast and cloudy.

For most Amercian cities, a Summer day that averages in the mid 50's to low 70's is simply NOT a normal summer.

Most American cities, start their summer day muggy and humid in the 70's, top out in the 90's with uncomfortable Dew Points all morning, night and day long.

For comparison, Phoenix starts out their summer day (on average) in the 90's, toping out 105F to 110F (on average), it may be bone dry but never ever is it cool and comfortable; whereas, Sacramento will have a very comfortable night (often no A/C needed) and very comfortable A.M. temps in the 50's to 70's (no A/C needed), but in the afternoon it will get warm to hot (80's to 90's) on average with vey comfortable Dew points all morning, day, night long.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And no one from this area tries to downplay how hot it is in summer like you do with Sac. The high temps may be similar but Sac is hotter for longer; it gets hotter earlier, cools off later, and heat waves lasts longer.
The Devil is in the Details. I'm not downplaying how hot it gets in Sacramento. It's simple, we average 88F to 92F with a very comfortable Dew points. While the inner East Bay averages just a few degrees cooler, and Phoenix averages 20 degrees hotter than Sacramento.

The Devil is in the Details. Here is the difference, the inland East Bay like Walnut Creek will be just a few degrees cooler than Sac on average. Let's say a heat wave hits Walnut Creek and the high hits 100F, Sacramento will hit 102F, the heat wave lasts 2 days in the inner East Bay while it lasts 3 days in Sacramento. While in Phoenix will be averaging 105F and higher for the last 45 days!, and their heat waves are in the teens, 113F on up. While Austin will be averaging uncomfortable Dew Points for the last 45 days, and it never drops below 75F while topping out with a heat index 100F plus for the last 45 days.

The Devil in in the Details. That heat wave in Walnut Creek(suburb of Oakland) and Sac means you may need A/C up until 7pm for Walnut Creek, while in Sac you will need the A/C until 9pm. On the 2nd day Walnut Creek hits 98F while Sac hits 100F (heat index of 95F). A/C is needed a few hours less for each city. Heat wave broken, Sac is back to it's normal 88F to 92F for the next 15 days with a Cool Wave that nobody talks about where the for the next 3 days the highs are in high 70's to low 80's with comfortable dew points.

While Phoenix will have been hitting 108F and above for the last 45 days!, and A/C is needed 24 hours a day, morning, noon, and night.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
You keep insisting that we ignore our personal experiences and in my case, the fact that I lived in Sacramento for 3 years, and go along with your statement that Sacramento summers are largely mild and warm...and that's NOT happening.

This thread isnt about Phoenix or Walnut Creek-it's about LB Oakland, Sacramento and SJ, and out of the 4, Sacramento is far and away the hottest in the summer. Oakland and LB are significantly more comfortable and SJ is far more apt to cool downs than Sacramento is...

Compared to Oakland and LB, Sacramento is really hot.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Sacramento gets hot, but I don't see how that's bad. A hot summer is a good thing unless we're taking about endlessly muggy summers which isn't what Sacramento has.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sacramento gets hot, but I don't see how that's bad. A hot summer is a good thing unless we're taking about endlessly muggy summers which isn't what Sacramento has.
Thats your opinion which youre certainly entitled to, but I completely disagree having lived years in both Oakland and Sacramento.

And that experience is the reason I say that Oakland summer weather is far more desirable.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Thats your opinion which youre certainly entitled to, but I completely disagree having lived years in both Oakland and Sacramento.

And that experience is the reason I say that Oakland summer weather is far more desirable.
Obviously that's your opinion. SF summers have awful weather in my opinion, Oakland has somewhat better ones but still aren't so great.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Obviously that's your opinion. SF summers have awful weather in my opinion, Oakland has somewhat better ones but still aren't so great.
Right and your opinion is in concert with people who want heat-good for you, God bless you and your hot weather, but for people who want to be extremely comfortable outside in the summer, Oakland is just about perfect( I have to pincj myself sometimes) while Sacramento is far from it.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You keep insisting that we ignore our personal experiences and in my case, the fact that I lived in Sacramento for 3 years, and go along with your statement that Sacramento summers are largely mild and warm...and that's NOT happening.

This thread isnt about Phoenix or Walnut Creek-it's about LB Oakland, Sacramento and SJ, and out of the 4, Sacramento is far and away the hottest in the summer. Oakland and LB are significantly more comfortable and SJ is far more apt to cool downs than Sacramento is...

Compared to Oakland and LB, Sacramento is really hot.
I am insisting that you are ignoring important DETAILS that make Sacramento Summers quite unique and a lot more comfortable than your opinion.

Some people may want a Summer that gives you warmer/hotter temps more regularly with full sun throughout the day, Oakland is the least to give you that, followed by Long Beach, then San Jose.

Sacramento is unique in that you get by far more Sun than Oakland with the added benefit of very comfortable dew points and a daily very cool period (cooler than the national average) during daylight working hours from 5am to Noon, 1pm or 2pm. This is something Coastal Californians do not understand and never express when talking about Sacramento Summers. It is a unique real phenomenon and Microclimate that most of the rest of the Central Valley does not experience.

Your blanket statements do not give an accurate picture of Sacramento Summers. You could wrap it up into one comment. In Sacramento it is highly recommended you have A/C but you will NOT need to run it 24/7 like many other cities in the nation. Often there will be daily periods where you don't need the A/C at all in Sac because of very comfortable dew points and cool winds from the Bay/Delta/Ocean and a daily significant cool down some 20-30 degrees from the high temp of the day. We love this significant cool down because it means we have a guaranteed period of a cool night (no A/C needed) and a very comfortable daytime A.M. early afternoon temps...something you can't get in Austin, SA. PHX, Vegas, Florida, Texas...

In Oakland you really don't need A/C at all. It is recommended that in Long Beach and San Jose you have A/C but you will use it less than Sacramento.

In Long Beach you will be more likely to use the A/C in the evening and night because Long Beach will stay in the high 60's and low 70's at night. In Long beach you will likely have the higher dew points than the other 3 cities, so it can feel muggy and warm at night hence the need for A/C even though it may be in the high 60's, low 70's.

In San Jose you are more likely to use the A/C during the late afternoon because with full sun it can reach into the high 80's, low 90's, but it will quickly cool with typical Bay Area marine layer bringing you into the 50's at night with a moderate to strong wind -- no need for A/C when it's that cool.

The Marine Layer in the Bay Area in the summer is on average 10 degrees Colder with a lot more wind than Southern Cal Marine Layer. The Marine Layer in the Bay Area will also give you more fog, rolling fog, blowing fog; whereas SoCal Marine Layer is more of an Overcast; when coastal SoCal does have rolling fog it is at least 10 degrees Warmer than the Bay Area.

The Devil is in the Details. The fact that the NorCal/Bay Area Marine Layer is cooler/colder with much stronger winds than SoCal is why Sacramento has its unique daily significant cooling period in the Summer.

The colder, strong winds of the Bay Area Marine Layer, and its persistent presence is GOOD FOR SACRAMENTO in the summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-06-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I am insisting that you are ignoring important DETAILS that make Sacramento Summers quite unique and a lot more comfortable than your opinion.
A lot more comfortable than Phoenix or Las Vegas perhaps, but those cities are not part of this thread.

Unfortunately for your 'important details', we're comparing Sacramento to Oakland, which in summer is far more comfortable than Sacramento, imcomparably more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City