Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM

522 posts, read 737,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well at some point it can longer be denied that Oakland is actually a bit more walkable overall, than Sacramento.

Neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 80+
Oakland 41
Sacramento 2

Ijs
Yeah, Oakland wins in that category hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Quote:
Well at some point it can longer be denied that Oakland is actually a bit more walkable overall, than Sacramento.

Oakland 41
Sacramento 2

Ijs
Oh, I'm not claiming Sac is overall more walkable than Oakland (although it's closer than you'd like to admit, especially when factoring in the flatness of Sac). I was just pointing out it's disingenuous to say Sac only has two neighborhoods above a 90 walkscore while subdividing Oakland's core into neighborhoods the size of Mosswood. Fruitvale station? what exactly is that, the four square blocks around the BART station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Look at the neighborhood population #'s. Sacramento has about 15K in walkscore neighborhoods above 90, Oakland has 55K+.
No way, where are you getting 15K from? The Grid is like 30K population and 100K weekly workforce population off the top of my head. And 55K for Oakland? The core from downtown up to Piedmont/Temescal is maybe 30K.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Quote:

Oakland 41
Sacramento 2

Ijs
WHO THE HELL CARES! Why does walking score get brought up every. single. time. you people compare cities. San Diego is more desirable than Jersey city, walking scores aren't everything.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
WHO THE HELL CARES! Why does walking score get brought up every. single. time. you people compare cities. San Diego is more desirable than Jersey city, walking scores aren't everything.
I think I prefer Jersey City tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Oh, I'm not claiming Sac is overall more walkable than Oakland (although it's closer than you'd like to admit, especially when factoring in the flatness of Sac).
Okay but I lived in Sacramento for 3 years and never felt that Sacramento was anywhere near as walkable as Oakland-not in the least.

Chinatown in Oakland( a dense downtown area) thrashes Sacramento to bits all by itself. Its Manhattan compared to anywhere in Sac.

Midtown Sac is boring outside of J Street, quite frankly and it turns out, walkscore agrees with me.

Oakland ranks 9th, Sac is 22nd.

Quote:
I was just pointing out it's disingenuous to say Sac only has two neighborhoods above a 90 walkscore
Okay tell us which areas apart from the 2 mentioned are 90+ so I can forward your grievances to walkscore.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Chinatown in Oakland( a dense downtown area) thrashes Sacramento to bits all by itself. Its Manhattan compared to anywhere in Sac.

Midtown Sac is boring outside of J Street, quite frankly and it turns out, walkscore agrees with me.

Oakland ranks 9th, Sac is 22nd.
Careful, you're starting to show how little you know about Sac. Look at the Oakland neighborhoods you've listed. You think East Oakland is more walkable than East Sac or Land Park?

Quote:
Okay tell us which areas apart from the 2 mentioned are 90+ so I can forward your grievances to walkscore.
Jfc walkscore isn't infallible, you should know that as an urban enthusiast and citydata addict. I hate having to repeat myself on this but here goes again. Look at walkscore's boundaries for downtown. Where is Alkali Flat, Mansion Flats? Southside Park? Look at walkscore's definition of Midtown. Where's Boulevard Park, New Era Park, Newton Booth, Poverty Ridge?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
No way, where are you getting 15K from? The Grid is like 30K population and 100K weekly workforce population off the top of my head. And 55K for Oakland? The core from downtown up to Piedmont/Temescal is maybe 30K.
If you click on each city and scroll down to the neighborhoods it lists them by walkscore and their population. Workforce population isn't included in Walkscore calculations. Midtown really isn't that dense.

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Sacramento
https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Oakland

Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Walkscore is purely quantitative, not qualitative. A 7-11 down the highway shoulder counts just as much as a supermarket on a walkable street. And last I checked it didn't account for uncrossable boundaries, so the average place by the freeway isn't as accessible as they think. Apparently it's gotten better over time...are those aspects different now?

Edit: Workforce is a huge part of density that's often omitted from discussions. Same with hotel population. But both are aspects of neighborhood vitality, a viable restaurant market, etc. In a downtown they're huge aspects.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you click on each city and scroll down to the neighborhoods it lists them by walkscore and their population. Workforce population isn't included in Walkscore calculations. Midtown really isn't that dense.

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Sacramento
https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Oakland
Midtown isn't very dense but it's very walkable. Walkscore isn't counting neighborhoods in the grid, see my post above, stop relying on it, flawed calculation. Look at actual census data for downtown and midtown.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Midtown isn't very dense but it's very walkable. Walkscore isn't counting neighborhoods in the grid, see my post above, stop relying on it, flawed calculation. Look at actual census data for downtown and midtown.
Ok, either way it's not really going to come close to Oakland when it comes to the # of residents living in areas with a high walkscore.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Careful, you're starting to show how little you know about Sac.
Haha careful the truth will come out? Sac's walkable areas are some secret? Get real, I lived in Sacramento for 3 years and I liked the place but its not more walkable or more vibrant overall than Oakland, actually it's not close.

Quote:
Look at the Oakland neighborhoods you've listed. You think East Oakland is more walkable than East Sac or Land Park?
Actually the Fruitvale district is far more walkable and vibrant than Land Park anf East Sac. Have you ever been? There is nothing like that in Sac.

But thats not all. Rockridge, Lakeshore, Grand, Montclair, Piedmont Av, are all upscale walkable areas that honestly dont have like areas in Sacramento.

Im not even sure what your trying to argue.

Quote:
Jfc walkscore isn't infallible
Yawns okay but infallible or not, Oakland is definitely more walkable on the whole than Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City