Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM

522 posts, read 736,868 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why this airport thing is relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I don't understand why this airport thing is relevant.
It's relevant because it means saving time for residents. It's a total hassle to have to go to LAX and SFO.

Oh, and some people like walkability as well...

Most Walkable Cities in the US and Score
#9 Oakland...72
#10 Long Beach...69
#19 San Jose...50
#22 Sacramento...46

Neighborhoods with a Walkscore 90+

Long Beach
Downtown 92
St. Mary 90

Oakland
Downtown 97
Koreatown-Northgate 97
Piedmont Av 92
Temescal 91
Pill Hill 91
Mosswood 91
Fruitvale Station 91
St Elizabeth 91
Merritt 90
Shafter 90
Hawthorne 90
Fairview Park 90

Sacramento
Downtown 92
Midtown 91

San Jose
No neighborhoods score 90+

www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods

Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's relevant because it means saving time for residents. It's a total hassle to have to go to LAX and SFO.

#9 Oakland...72
#10 Long Beach...69
#19 San Jose...50
#22 Sacramento...46

Long Beach
Downtown 92
St. Mary 90

Oakland
Downtown 97
Koreatown-Northgate 97
Piedmont Av 92
Temescal 91
Pill Hill 91
Mosswood 91
Fruitvale Station 91
St Elizabeth 91
Merritt 90
Shafter 90
Hawthorne 90
Fairview Park 90

Sacramento
Downtown 92
Midtown 91

San Jose

I know, I just don't see how the amount of airports significantly effects the experience of living in a certain city. But since we're talking about airports, in my opinion Northern California has a better system, not because of the amount of airports, but because the ease in which you can get to said airports. SFO and Oakland both have their airports on the Bart line. This, in conjunction with the fact that Amtrak runs through from San Jose to Sacramento makes getting around in general a lot easier in Northern California. You have 4 major airports within 120 miles of each other, all connected by public transport. It makes for a fairly efficient system.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM

This isn't a shot at Los Angeles or Southern California, but the public transportation in Southern California doesn't hold a candle to the multitude of options in Northern California. It's going to get even better once the new Transbay Terminal is completed. You're going to have Bart, Amtrak, Caltrans, Muni, Ac Transit, West Cat and Greyhound all running through the terminal. From that location you'll effectively be able to get to to any major airport in Northern California in an hour or less.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transbay_Transit_Center

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Actually it's better than I thought, just checked the website, here is everything the Transbay Center will include:

"The new Transbay Transit Center will replace the former Transbay Terminal in downtown San Francisco with a modern transit hub. Extending just south of Mission Street from Second to Beale Streets, the Transit Center will connect eight Bay Area counties and the State of California through 11 transportation systems: AC Transit, BART, Caltrain, Golden Gate Transit, Greyhound, Muni, SamTrans, WestCAT Lynx, Amtrak, Paratransit and California’s future High Speed Rail from San Francisco to Los Angeles/Anaheim."
Transit Center « Transbay Center

There is absolutely nothing in Southern California that can compare. That still doesn't mean NorCal is better by any means, but you seem to be one of those people can't comprehend SoCal isn't the center of the world.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Quote:

#9 Oakland...72
#10 Long Beach...69
#19 San Jose...50
#22 Sacramento...46

Long Beach
Downtown 92
St. Mary 90

Oakland
Downtown 97
Koreatown-Northgate 97
Piedmont Av 92
Temescal 91
Pill Hill 91
Mosswood 91
Fruitvale Station 91
St Elizabeth 91
Merritt 90
Shafter 90
Hawthorne 90
Fairview Park 90

Sacramento
Downtown 92
Midtown 91

San Jose

Glancing at this, some of the Oakland neighborhoods you've listed are quite tiny (Mosswood, Pill Hill, Koreatown-Northgate for example) whereas Sacramento has Midtown/Downtown listed but in reality that contains Boulevard Park, Poverty Ridge, Alkali Flats, Mansion Flats, New Era Park, Newton Booth, Southside Park, etc.

This is kinda why I dislike using walkscore as a sole metric. DTSJ and adjacent neighborhoods to me feel like 90+ walk score areas and I'm sure Long Beach is the same with much more than St. Mary and DT being walkable.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Glancing at this, some of the Oakland neighborhoods you've listed are quite tiny (Mosswood, Pill Hill, Koreatown-Northgate for example) whereas Sacramento has Midtown/Downtown listed but in reality that contains Boulevard Park, Poverty Ridge, Alkali Flats, Mansion Flats, New Era Park, Newton Booth, Southside Park, etc.

This is kinda why I dislike using walkscore as a sole metric. DTSJ and adjacent neighborhoods to me feel like 90+ walk score areas and I'm sure Long Beach is the same with much more than St. Mary and DT being walkable.
Actually the top 6 Oakland neighborhoods are all connected and even beyond those areas, the walkability factor is quite strong.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:10 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Quote:
Actually the top 6 Oakland neighborhoods are all connected and even beyond those areas, the walkability factor is quite strong.
I'm not saying they're not connected, which I why I chose the example of Northgate through Mosswood as an example - a stretch of contiguous neighborhoods.

That list makes it look like Oakland has a ton of walkable neighborhoods (which it does) whereas Sacramento does not. I was pointing out that some the neighborhoods listed for Oakland are very small in comparison to Sacramento's Midtown and Downtown, which both have sub neighborhoods on the scale of the ones listed for Oakland. A more accurate list wouldn't have the visual disparity of a ton of names for Oakland and two for Sac. Those top 6 Oakland neighborhoods comprise about 2 square miles, Midtown is about 2 square miles.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
I'm not saying they're not connected, which I why I chose the example of Northgate through Mosswood as an example - a stretch of contiguous neighborhoods.

That list makes it look like Oakland has a ton of walkable neighborhoods (which it does) whereas Sacramento does not. I was pointing out that some the neighborhoods listed for Oakland are very small in comparison to Sacramento's Midtown and Downtown, which both have sub neighborhoods on the scale of the ones listed for Oakland. A more accurate list wouldn't have the visual disparity of a ton of names for Oakland and two for Sac. Those top 6 Oakland neighborhoods comprise about 2 square miles, Midtown is about 2 square miles.
Well at some point it can longer be denied that Oakland is actually a bit more walkable overall, than Sacramento.

Neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 80+
Oakland 41
Sacramento 2

Ijs

Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Look at the neighborhood population #'s. Sacramento has about 15K in walkscore neighborhoods above 90, Oakland has 55K+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City