Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:05 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
San Jose is the safest of the four. Long Beach is a bit safer than Sac.
Long Beach is nice but I think I'd be bored very quickly.

Quote:
Oakland is the most dangerous city in the western US, and has a higher murder rate than Chicago.
Isnt it odd? Oakland has the highest crime rate and is still super desirable? Who knew $20 million homes existed in such a dangerous place?
Home in Oakland Hills sets county record for most expensive sold | abc7news.com

Hahaha

Oh, and this is from today's paper:
With 28 homicides so far in 2016 through June, Oakland is on pace to see its lowest annual total in nearly half a century...

San Jose and Oakland homicides: What crime trends say about the two cities - San Jose Mercury News

Nice try hater, but yawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Isnt it odd? Oakland has the highest crime rate and is still super desirable? Who knew $20 million homes existed in such a dangerous place?

Hahaha

With 28 homicides so far in 2016 through June, Oakland is on pace to see its lowest annual total in nearly half a century...

San Jose and Oakland homicides: What crime trends say about the two cities - San Jose Mercury News

Not really odd at all. The white parts of Oakland are very desirable, not much different than the other cities in this regard.

San Jose in its worst year is safer than Oakland at it's best. Of course poor blacks being priced out to Stockton has helped Oakland a lot. But again, Oakland is desirable simply because it is evolving into a suburb of SF. Not because it is a good city that can stand on it's own merits.

If Oakland was a desirable city, the Warriors, Raiders, and A's would not actively try to leave for better markets.

Never heard of anyone being bored in Long Beach. It is like Oakland with less crime and better looking people. I have heard of people being bored to tears in San Jose and Sac. But NorCal is boring and droll, in general. SoCal is simply much more alive and vibrant. Even SF goes to sleep at 10pm, LOL.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:52 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
SoCal has more than 5 airports.

Socals big 7

LAX
Burbank
John Wayne
Long Beach
Ontario
Palm Springs
San Diego
Sacramento's International is often rated one of top airports for customer satisfaction in North America. http://www.saccounty.net/news/latest...r-Service.aspx

You obviously have never been to Sacramento International (SMF), as it is way more attractive than Oakland, and the Terminal's at SMF are bigger and more spacious than Oakland and San Jose's terminals and SMF is more attractive than San Jose, imho.

Sacramento has plenty of non-stops nationally and they are pretty full because it is more convenient flying out of SMF than driving to the Bay Area.

Long Beach and Palm Springs are not even in the same league as the airports I listed including Sacramento(SMF) which is near 10 million passengers a year.

When talking about flying into LA I left San Diego out because it is pretty obvious you would not want to go to SD. Although in SD, at times you might need to drive up to LAX for certain International flights.

Four good airports serving 10 million people(NorCal) is much better than only 5 airports serving 20 million people (SoCal). If you are going to include Palm Springs for SoCal than NorCal can include Stockton and Sonoma County airports.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:10 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento's International is often rated one of top airports for customer satisfaction in North America. Sac Intl Airport Ranks High in Customer Service

You obviously have never been to Sacramento International (SMF), as it is way more attractive than Oakland, and the Terminal's at SMF are bigger and more spacious than Oakland and San Jose's terminals and SMF is more attractive than San Jose, imho.

Sacramento has plenty of non-stops nationally and they are pretty full because it is more convenient flying out of SMF than driving to the Bay Area.

Long Beach and Palm Springs are not even in the same league as the airports I listed including Sacramento(SMF) which is near 10 million passengers a year.

When talking about flying into LA I left San Diego out because it is pretty obvious you would not want to go to SD. Although in SD, at times you might need to drive up to LAX for certain International flights.

Four good airports serving 10 million people(NorCal) is much better than only 5 airports serving 20 million people (SoCal). If you are going to include Palm Springs for SoCal than NorCal can include Stockton and Sonoma County airports.
I have flown in and out of Sac many times. The new terminal is nice, but the tram is moronic.

LOL Sac does not have 10million passangers a year.

FAA 2014 CA airports with 500, 000 or more passangers:

LAX 32 million
SFO 21 million
SD 8 million
Oak 4.7 million
OC 4.5 million
SJ 4.3 million
Sac 4.2 mil
Ontario 1.9 mil
Burbank 1.9 mil
LBC 1.4 mil
Palm springs 876, 000
Fresno 684, 000 (fresno is central not north or south)

LOL sorry but even with airports SoCal poo poo all over NorCal. So cal has 7 good airports to go to. And with San Birdoo gearing up it will be 8in the future. Once again, SoCal beats NorCal in infastructure advancements.

Sonoma 113, 000

STOCKTON 71, 000

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 07-04-2016 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM

522 posts, read 736,868 times
Quote:
I have flown in and out of Sac many times. The new terminal is nice, but the tram is moronic.

LOL Sac does not have 10million passangers a year.

FAA 2014 CA airports with 500, 000 or more passangers:

LAX 32 million
SFO 21 million
SD 8 million
Oak 4.7 million
OC 4.5 million
SJ 4.3 million
Sac 4.2 mil
Ontario 1.9 mil
Burbank 1.9 mil
LBC 1.4 mil
Palm springs 876, 000
Fresno 684, 000

LOL sorry but even with airports SoCal poo poo all over NorCal

Sonoma 113, 000

STOCKTON 71, 000
I hate the Norcal/SoCal rivalry crap. It doesn't matter. It's equivalent to saying that San Francisco is better than Los Angeles because it's more expensive to live there. It's all subjective.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Not really odd at all. The white parts of Oakland are very desirable, not much different than the other cities in this regard.

San Jose in its worst year is safer than Oakland at it's best. Of course poor blacks being priced out to Stockton has helped Oakland a lot. But again, Oakland is desirable simply because it is evolving into a suburb of SF. Not because it is a good city that can stand on it's own merits.
Haha no need to be jealous. Oakland is so ridiculously desirable to artists and techies that even our crime is nuanced as 'realness'.

SJ otoh, is just deteriorating.

LOL

Quote:
If Oakland was a desirable city, the Warriors, Raiders, and A's would not actively try to leave for better markets.
Hahaha anothr FAIL. Sellout billion dollar corporations should fund their own stadiums. #bye

Quote:
Never heard of anyone being bored in Long Beach.
Actually we never hear much of anything from Long Beach, and thats because its really a large suburb of LA-nothing wrong with that btw, just not my thing.

Quote:
SoCal is simply much more alive and vibrant.
Thats because its more ghetto.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Hahaha

Not trying to nitpick but 28 homicides while lower than usual for Oakland is actually already higher than the national average for a city of its size. For example, Sacramento, which is a larger city than Oakland had 28 homicides for the entire year in 2014, 34 in 2015, Long Beach, (also larger than Oakland) has similar stats to Sac, and SJ which has a population of over 1,000,000, even with its crime spike still has a murder rate below the national average. Bragging about Oakland's recent crime drop is like bragging about getting a D when you usually get straight F's.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento's International is often rated one of top airports for customer satisfaction in North America. Sac Intl Airport Ranks High in Customer Service

Never mind him...he's insanely upset that NorCal isnt impressed by SoCal.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Not trying to nitpick but 28 homicides while lower than usual for Oakland is actually already higher than the national average for a city of its size. For example, Sacramento, which is a larger city than Oakland had 28 homicides for the entire year in 2014, 34 in 2015, Long Beach, (also larger than Oakland) has similar stats to Sac, and SJ which has a population of over 1,000,000, even with its crime spike still has a murder rate below the national average. Bragging about Oakland's recent crime drop is like bragging about getting a D when you usually get straight F's.
Whatever makes you feel better, but Oakland literally feels safer. San Jose doesnt.

Oh, and no one is bragging, but despite you and anyone else's best efforts, Oakland is clearly NOT defined by a crime rate. In fact, much of the city is quite pleasant.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Whatever makes you feel better, but Oakland literally feels safer. San Jose doesnt.

Oh, and no one is bragging, but despite you and anyone else's best efforts, Oakland is clearly NOT defined by a crime rate. In fact, much of the city is quite pleasant.
I never attacked Oakland, and the high crime rate doesn't make me feel better. It sucks that the crime rate in Oakland is so high because I've lived in Oakland for years and and realize the city has a ton to offer. And about the comment of Oakland feeling safer than SJ, if your location is current, and you live in the Piedmont area then of course it feels safer than the average neighborhood in San Jose. You live in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the entire Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City