Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, compared to Oakland's, Sacramento summers are hot.
Fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Yes, compared to Oakland's, Sacramento summers are hot. Which is good. It's not outrageously hot like the Inland Empire, Vegas or Phoenix which are miseably hot despite the dry heat talk. It's also not hot in the terrible muggy hot 'lanta and Florida sort of hot. It's simply a good heat signifying summer and a pleasure to be outside.
Good and helpful post. I will add, since I started really paying attention to Sacramento summers in comparison to the rest of the U.S.A and now I always clarify......

Yes, Sacramento summers are hot compared to Oakland but not in the late night and A.M hours till at least Noon.

If fact, Sacramento summers temps and weather is more like Oakland in the late night and A.M. hours till at least Noon. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER. THAT IS A FACT.

I think it is very important to make this distinction, and I'll telly you why. When Sacramento doesn't get is usual doze of daily cool coastal air and temps.....we immediacy notice it and sort of freak out. If and when the temp doesn't go below 65F in the morning we freak out......we think it's muggy and hot. Some of us don't realize how lucky we are, and how crucial it is that we get that significantly huge cool down daily (20-30 degrees) in the summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-07-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Fact.
True! Finally, something we both get, an actual nice hot summer instead of that chilly facsimile in Oakland.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I used to think that until my Bay Area and friends insist on coming up to Sacramento IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER.
Whatever you say but I dont know or nor have I ever heard of a single person from here whose ever gone to Sacramento to 'enjoy' the summer weather.

LOL

Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Good and helpful post. By I will add, since I started really paying attention to Sacramento summers in comparison to the rest of the U.S.A and now I always clarify......

Yes, Sacramento summers are hot compared to Oakland but not in the late night and A.M hours till at least Noon.

If fact, Sacramento summers temps and weather is more like Oakland in the late night and A.M. hours till at least Noon. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER. THAT IS A FACT.

I think it is very important to make this distinction, and I'll telly you why. When Sacramento doesn't get is usual doze of daily cool coastal air and temps.....we immediacy notice it and sort of freak out. If and when the temp doesn't go below 65F in the morning we freak out......we think it's muggy and hot. Some of us don't realize how lucky we are, and how crucial it is that we get that significantly huge cool down daily (20-30 degrees) in the summer.
Still, the question is what are some interesting things to do in Sacramento in the city? What do you show visitors?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Whatever you say but I dont know or nor have I ever heard of a single person from here whose ever gone to Sacramento to 'enjoy' the summer weather.

LOL
LOL!

Is this from someone talking about the great Oakland "summers"?

Wut? LOL

Old 11-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Then why the hell are you acting like Sacramento is only mildly warmer than Oakland?

Really? We telling fairy tales now?
No, I'm not telling fairy tales.

I observe, record, and pay attention to observed reportable weather and temps. I don't listen to anecdotal bias such as yours.

You ignore the daily hourly weather in Sacramento and focus on one thing the high for the day....which does not give you an accurate picture of what the weather is like through the day and night in Sacramento in the summer.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:

LOL
You are very wrong. Yes, in the middle of the summer I have friends and family that come from all over the Bay Area not only to visit me, , but because of the weather.

They want the warmer sunnier days. And a big hit with them is to raft down the American River in the heart of Sacramento, something you can't do in the Bay Area.

Fresh clean cold snow melt water in the middle of Sacramento along with bright sun and 90F temps, dry 10% humidity, in the late afternoon.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
You are very wrong. Yes, in the middle of the summer I have friends and family that come from all over the Bay Area not only to visit me, , but because of the weather.

They want the warmer sunnier days. And a big hit with them is to raft down the American River in the heart of Sacramento, something you can't do in the Bay Area.

Fresh clean cold snow melt water in the middle of Sacramento along with bright sun and 90F + temps in the late afternoon.
Do people go tubing? Do they allow you to do it with a good supply of beer?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
One interesting development is that the center for the Bay Area is likely to shift southwards to San Jose in the next decade. The primary industry for the Bay Area is much more concentrated in San Jose and a primary issue had been that one of the main issues has been the terrible commute from the East Bay to San Jose. However, BART reaching downtown San Jose is a massive shift, along with electrified Caltrain and an expanded VTA light rail (and to some extent, the high speed rail line which seems to have been reconfigured into an extremely long range commuter rail for San Jose). These are just the transit expansions, but coupled with the denser housing construction in San Jose, and the sponsorship of civic art and culture institutions within the city and that the domestic and foreign migrant population into the area generally favor new construction, well, you got a stew going.
I actually really like San Jose especially the old neighborhoods and its downtown and it's very cool that San Jose State is in the heart of the downtown and it is integrated. More so than Long Beach State is integrated with Long Beach.....but I don't know that for a fact.

Is there a college/university in the heart of Oakland?

I like Oakland for many reasons, the urban East Bay.....Really from Richmond to Berkeley to Oakland to Hayward is like one big city.

Cal - University of California, Berkeley is in the heart of Berkeley and well integrated. Not sure of how well the colleges in Oakland are integrated or how well Cal State Hayward is integrated with Hayward.
I still call it Cal State Hayward....though they changed the name to East Bay.....ughh, ugly name.

Much of the neighborhoods of Oakland looks like old Hollywood...the neighborhoods immediately up from downtown and the Oakland Hills look like LA/Hollywood. The flats of the older parts of San Jose look like the flats of the older parts of Los Angeles/Hollywood. All near identical looking. Sacramento's older neighborhoods look like the flats of San Jose and Los Angeles/Hollywood.....but with more and bigger trees.

I know this well because I lived in Hollywood: East, Central and West Hollywood....the Hills, and Los Feliz/Silverlake.

What part town are you from or live in now.......you don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City