Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So let be honest instead of disingenuous.
Again WHERE did I EVER ignore or not acknowledge Chicago's WELL KNOWN problems?
NEVER!!
It seems you have a comprehension problem.

Houston and Toronto will pass Chicago because for one Toronto is the only main city in Montreal and Houston is the Sunbelt/
Nothing about Houston is attractive enough for anyone wanting city life over Chicago accept weather and cost of living,
Again if Toronto was in the U.S.,it would be not what it is today.
Weather,like CRIME,Corruption does not make people love a city no doubt.Cities like Minneapolis areon there way up now and has nsomething also to do with Chicago slowing as people have more options within a region.

So what you are saying after several post that you want people to ignore:
Chicago more than double the amount of f500 GLOBAL companies which you tried to downplay as American only.
Companies that are known throughout the world.
What company from Toronto is like Boeing ,known around the world?That employs 159,000 people WORLDWIDE?

*Chicago's 5 Stock Exhanges
*Its storied historical and cultural contributions to the world.
*Rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods
and all the other things mentioned mean nothing to people who make decisions of the world because they are more concerned with the public schools failing,corruption in City hall and crime?

And yes I replied "ridiculous" to you long list that I skimmed through and did not respond in kind because I do have a life and Chicago has ALREADY done most of that stuff!!
Toronto is LATE!!!
And I also did post articles about money that was being spent on public transportation which you also ignored.

Chicago crime is on National news so its hardly a secret.Its like acknowledging the Sun or the moon.Well DUH!!
Funny how its so bad but YOU GO THERE ONCE A YEAR@!!!LOL!!OMG!!!
The size of Chicago and Toronto are similar but Chicago cast a much bigger shadow.Thats all im saying

Oh but since you dont seem to want to talk about Toronto's negatives.here u go
Four Toronto cops accused of planting drugs on suspect | CP24.com
aparently this stuff has been going on for years!
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...e_charges.html

Trust in Toronto police following Forcillo verdict is plummeting, polls show - 680 NEWS

And now Toronto is CARDING people?
Trust in Toronto police following Forcillo verdict is plummeting, polls show - 680 NEWS

Seems you have quite a few problems the way this guy see it.Especially with you transit system taht often breaks down.Jesse Hirsh • Toronto is a Failed State

Gun crime is up 200%.Maybe that has to do with all the police corruption?
Toronto gun homicides rise 200% this year, police say - Toronto - CBC News

Three theories that may explain Toronto

But hey,its not decline because the population is BOOMING !!
Yup. Toronto is growing by 40,000 or so people per year in the city alone. Chicago grew by a mere 82 people. Not to mentioned, over 100 buildings under construction. I dont see how you cant tell the city is booming.

You keep bring up these "Chicago's historical contributions". I guess you think Cairo and Jerusalem > New York and London? I hope not. We all know what Chicago did 80 years ago when Toronto was just a baby. The current city of Chicago is on a slight downward spiral. Its losing weight, out of shape and there is excess fat just hanging in various places.

Toronto in comparison is healthy, toned, and looking like it is training for a big international body building competition. Houston is in the gym weight training pumping up its biceps as we speak. Brooklyn is too.
There is nothing wrong with admitting your city is going through tough times. Or are you just ashamed?

And I'm sorry to hear your friend got beat up. Looking at Toronto's crime rate and comparing it to Chicago's nearly 4,000 shootings so far this year and nearly 700 murders, does this mean if I visit Chicago with "my friend", he will not only get beat up, but also have 10 bullets in his chest?

Either way, President-elect Donald J Trump said he will stop Chicago's violence within a week. lol. Week In The News: Trump

Maybe Mr. #NotMyPresident can help y'all out. Or you could also give NYC, LA or even Toronto a call for some help shedding the crime. Don't be a stranger!
Another option is having Commissioner Gordon throw that bat signal in the air hoping Bruce sees it. Chicago is Gotham City in the movies, right?

Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hey !!!Mr.Burns and mjun18:
Why wont you answer the question of the thread?

Montreal-16
Toronto-18
Chicago-66

What else needs to be said that not shown here
Am I wrong about what I see?
These are not scientific polls. But I'll answer your question. I hope you can answer mines next (to be fair).

Montreal being close to Toronto in the poll numbers just says that people think they are similar in significance. That's all.

Now my question... How come a city of less than 3 million people has more homicides than two larger cities with a combined population of 12.5 million?

Old 11-15-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Burns View Post
this is what makes these threads so entertaining. People don't know anything about toronto, start bashing it based on things they think is true but isn't.

Then they get shocked when proven wrong.

Keep that popcorn chicken coming fellas.
LOL. Or maybe they can keep the chicken mcnuggets coming. They tore down Oprah's Harpo studio to build McDonalds' HQ is in Chicago!!!!!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 PM

The 25 cities with the most economic power on earth

25 most economically powerful cities in the world - Business Insider

One city declined to a much lower ranking, while the other city not only rose to a higher ranking, it passed the other city which declined. Can you guess which city is which? You could always click the link for the answer.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM

153 posts, read 164,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
The 25 cities with the most economic power on earth

25 most economically powerful cities in the world - Business Insider

One city declined to a much lower ranking, while the other city not only rose to a higher ranking, it passed the other city which declined. Can you guess which city is which? You could always click the link for the answer.
YOU KEEP SEARCHING on the internet for links you probably DON'T EVEN READ? Really do you need to do SO MANY POST IN A ROW FILLING UP THE PAGES? It's overboard. Save your searching to Post in less postings in a row PLEASE.

Its also 2012 numbers sir. Update your searching though says 2015. Also its ONLY ON FINANCE. CHICAGO HERE IS 2 PLACINGS BELOW TORONTO.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 11-15-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Yup. Toronto is growing by 40,000 or so people per year in the city alone. Chicago grew by a mere 82 people. Not to mentioned, over 100 buildings under construction. I dont see how you cant tell the city is booming.

You keep bring up these "Chicago's historical contributions". I guess you think Cairo and Jerusalem > New York and London? I hope not. We all know what Chicago did 80 years ago when Toronto was just a baby. The current city of Chicago is on a slight downward spiral. Its losing weight, out of shape and there is excess fat just hanging in various places.

Toronto in comparison is healthy, toned, and looking like it is training for a big international body building competition. Houston is in the gym weight training pumping up its biceps as we speak. Brooklyn is too.
There is nothing wrong with admitting your city is going through tough times. Or are you just ashamed?

And I'm sorry to hear your friend got beat up. Looking at Toronto's crime rate and comparing it to Chicago's nearly 4,000 shootings so far this year and nearly 700 murders, does this mean if I visit Chicago with "my friend", he will not only get beat up, but also have 10 bullets in his chest?

Either way, President-elect Donald J Trump said he will stop Chicago's violence within a week. lol. Week In The News: Trump

Maybe Mr. #NotMyPresident can help y'all out. Or you could also give NYC, LA or even Toronto a call for some help shedding the crime. Don't be a stranger!
Another option is having Commissioner Gordon throw that bat signal in the air hoping Bruce sees it. Chicago is Gotham City in the movies, right?
LOL,I love where Im at in the U.S.Love living here and other than to make money off diversity craved Torontonians,I have NO desire to live in Toronto.Its way too cold and way too expensive for what you get.to

I do have much love for Montreal but again too cold but worth the cost to me.
However I also love to live in Savannah one day but not diverse enough and still a little lacking in amenities I like.
Im concerned about crime in Chicago of course.Who in there right mind would not be,but all that I have mentioned in my several post is WHY its an ICONIC city loved all over the world despite its MANY problems.

Toronto DOES NOT rank ANYWHERE I have seen as one of the most beautiful or architectural cities in the world like Chicago has.That is a fact.

You guys from Torongto seem to really get annoyed with any criticism.Questioning and ganging up on posters that dare defy your idea of your city.
Fact is not ONCE have I said you were wrong about any of what you said.Its just NOT important enough for me not to like the city.Apparently its not enough for you either as you keep trekking yourself back there.

You guys are so desperate to make TDot so much more than it is in the minds of people everywhere that you have to showcase what is obvious because you have no other points but the obvious.
Its pathetic.Like watching and animal caught in a trap fighting to escape before it passes out.
Quote:
Chicago is an integral part of the U.S. history and present today.U.S.and the world would have far ranging implications without Chicago's financial institutions.research laboratories,Corporate power and cultural institution
Um I brought up a LOT more than Historical contributions but because it fits your narrativeand because you cant acknowledge the rest because then you would have to admit the obvious that Chicago is more of everything than Toronto will be even with its population boom.
Houston will surpass Chicago n population with its 600 sq mi but will NEVER be as ICONIC as Chicago JUST LIKE TORONTO can grow with thousands more people and STILL be a city like Houston that has a lot of economic clout and robust growth but never be in the stratus of Chicago's brand.'Another reason I posted the world ranking of "city Branding" which Toronto was very low.

Yall dismissed it but it confirms exactly what I feel and others.Next time you go out of the country ask people what they know about Toronto that have never been.Then ask them about Chicago,
In fact ask people what they know in Toronto about Chicago and then ask the same in Chicago about Toronto.

So comments of Chicago's"decline" would have to be tied o decline of the U.S. like when the Auto industry failed in Detroit which oddly enough is doing more than well as well as our national economy..

Chicago role in the U.S. is less because there simply is competition from everywhere that did not exist before.
SF and LA created a new industry that around the world including Toronto and Chicago are active in the race for STEM jobs like everywhere else from Houston to Miami to Seattle.
Every city is not that city.Philadelphia ,Chicago,Boston are as much blue collar cities as they are white collar.Philly has the same type of educational environment Boston has.Chicago has top schools but no where near the amount and prestige of the many schools in those cities.

Chicago will never be allowed to fail unless companies stop moving there.Why do you think the city is gentriying everywhere including parts of the Southside?

Chiago is ranked 4thin the US in construction projects but you persist thats some how not relevant.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
YOU KEEP SEARCHING on the internet for links you probably DON'T EVEN READ? Really do you need to do SO MANY POST IN A ROW FILLING UP THE PAGES? It's overboard. Save your searching to Post in less postings in a row PLEASE.

Its also 2012 numbers sir. Update your searching though says 2015. Also its ONLY ON FINANCE. CHICAGO HERE IS 2 PLACINGS BELOW TORONTO.
LOOL.That's desperation you and I are witnessing.So entertaining.LOL

Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
LOL. Or maybe they can keep the chicken mcnuggets coming. They tore down Oprah's Harpo studio to build McDonalds' HQ is in Chicago!!!!!
WOW.Cant see how your post shows a major international company is reinvesting in the city you so oblivious..lol

Old 11-15-2016, 08:43 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:

You guys from Torongto seem to really get annoyed with any criticism.Questioning and ganging up on posters that dare defy your idea of your city.
Fact is not ONCE have I said you were wrong about any of what you said.Its just NOT important enough for me not to like the city.Apparently its not enough for you either as you keep trekking yourself back there.
I just correct you whenever you're wrong.

Quote:
You guys are so desperate to make TDot so much more than it is in the minds of people everywhere that you have to showcase what is obvious because you have no other points but the obvious.
Its pathetic.Like watching and animal caught in a trap fighting to escape before it passes out.
Toronto is underrated, it is definitely not more than what it is in the minds of most Americans. It is a lot less.

Quote:
Yall dismissed it but it confirms exactly what I feel and others.Next time you go out of the country ask people what they know about Toronto that have never been.Then ask them about Chicago,
In fact ask people what they know in Toronto about Chicago and then ask the same in Chicago about Toronto.
Actually in most countries I would wager they know Toronto more than Chicago. Toronto is the premier city of Canada, and usually the top choice of anyone planning on immigrating to Canada. Chicago is the distant third ranked city in the USA.

This also reflects in the higher international visits to Toronto over Chicago.

Outside of the USA, I doubt Chicago is much of a thing.

Quote:
So comments of Chicago's"decline" would have to be tied o decline of the U.S. like when the Auto industry failed in Detroit which oddly enough is doing more than well as well as our national economy..

Chicago role in the U.S. is less because there simply is competition from everywhere that did not exist before.
SF and LA created a new industry that around the world including Toronto and Chicago are active in the race for STEM jobs like everywhere else from Houston to Miami to Seattle.
Every city is not that city.Philadelphia ,Chicago,Boston are as much blue collar cities as they are white collar.Philly has the same type of educational environment Boston has.Chicago has top schools but no where near the amount and prestige of the many schools in those cities.

Chicago will never be allowed to fail unless companies stop moving there.Why do you think the city is gentriying everywhere including parts of the Southside?

Chiago is ranked 4thin the US in construction projects but you persist thats some how not relevant.
This is where I disagree. Chicago's decline is due to Chicago's problems, you can't blame it on other cities or American economic decline.

Chicago is the only city in the US top 15 to have population decline.

It is happening because the city and state are poorly run, and other cities are becoming more attractive to move to - and not because of winters. Other cities are competing and winning against Chicago, and the consequence is Chicago's influence and power in the USA continues to wane.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 PM

153 posts, read 164,044 times
Quote:
LOL,I love where Im at in the U.S.Love living here and other than to make money off diversity craved Torontonians,I have NO desire to live in Toronto.Its way too cold and way too expensive for what you get.to

I do have much love for Montreal but again too cold but worth the cost to me.
However I also love to live in Savannah one day but not diverse enough and still a little lacking in amenities I like.
Im concerned about crime in Chicago of course.Who in there right mind would not be,but all that I have mentioned in my several post is WHY its an ICONIC city loved all over the world despite its MANY problems.

Toronto DOES NOT rank ANYWHERE I have seen as one of the most beautiful or architectural cities in the world like Chicago has.That is a fact.

Chicago is an integral part of the U.S. history and present today.U.S.and the world would have far ranging implications without Chicago's financial institutions.research laboratories,Corporate power and cultural institution
Um I brought up a LOT more than Historical contributions but because it fits your narrativeand because you cant acknowledge the rest because then you would have to admit the obvious that Chicago is more of everything than Toronto will be even with its population boom.
Houston will surpass Chicago n population with its 600 sq mi but will NEVER be as ICONIC as Chicago JUST LIKE TORONTO can grow with thousands more people and STILL be a city like Houston that has a lot of economic clout and robust growth but never be in the stratus of Chicago's brand.'Another reason I posted the world ranking of "city Branding" which Toronto was very low.

Chicago is ranked 4thin the US in construction projects but you persist thats some how not relevant.
A great post. I do not know why some can't accept cities have something special and that's it. I respect Toronto. It's the main city of a nation. I feel bad how Montréal lost because of Separatists. But there was a reason it ROSE FIRST. It is a awesome city with more European flavor the virtually any other North American city but Mexico city possibly? Don't know it never was there.

I looked through Forbes list of influential cities bit spyware is terrible for omen sights. But a porn on got through. But the PICTURES OF SOME ASIN CITIES JUST MIGHT PUT CHICAGO AND TORONTO TO OLD SIMPLER BUILDING CITIES? THEY BUILD LRGE SCALE?

So in reality why should sister-cities as Toronto and Chicago argue ? Others surpass BOTH. LOL. Some just can't be civil and understand why older well established cities still stand out. Nothing takes their history and contribution away. Not even accusing of in decline.

Can't rep you again sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City