Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:52 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Chicago has its own style of food from hot dogs,Chicago Deep Dish and sauseges that even here down South where I live there are restaurants that serve "Chicago style"you name it everywhere or in the grocery store.
Even in Montreal I never saw anything called "Toronto Style".
I know Toronto does have somethings but its local only.

All major cities nowadays has an international food scene thats diverse.When I go travel I remember the most that made that city different from other cities.The local cusuine.
So while it may compare,there nothing that stands out that other major cities dont have.
Just have "more" or being "the most" does not make it special or unique.For that matter good or better.

Ill take the food in Houston over Toronto anyday. TexMex is the best there but can be found everywhere.

Yes Toronto has impressive skyline due to its size but its not inspiring like Chicago's.But its not the skyline that stands out to me.Its the street level view of Chicago that stands out.

Toronto's skyline is like Houston.Just more.The buildings are so bland but massively tall.

Where can you find such beautiful grandiose statues like this one I love in Jackson Park also in Toronto?and yes I know Toronto has some statues and lots of public art but the classical stuff is timeless and not found in abundance like it is in Chicago.
The Republic

I mean who in the world does not see this and instantly know where it is?
Oh wow. Hotdogs. Deep dish. Such a rich and delightful culinary culture. Facepalm.

I wonder why you have to boast two of the most mediocre and fat-inducing dishes in Chicago in order to qualify for a top notch food scene. Toronto like Chicago is an immigrant city and doesn't have much of its own local foods, yes, but its vast array of international cuisine options will keep any foodie busy for months on end. I'll take my spicy Mongolia hotpot, Sichuan Mapo Tofu, Korean bimbimbap bowl, Afghan chicken tikka wrap, Viet pho, German lamb donner anyday over the famous Chicagoan hotdogs. You say all major cities have diverse international food: that is true, but it's all about quality AND quantity. Do you honestly want to compare Chicago's Chinese, Korean, and Indian restaurants with the hundreds of ethnic eateries on Bloor West, Queen West, and Yonge? Or perhaps to Little Korea and Chinese takeouts in NYC Flushing? There's a difference between driving 15 minutes to your favorite Chinese take-out vs. walking 5 min down the street from one's condo immediately with 10 top notch Chinese (with the option of Hunan vs. Sichuan vs. Tianjin vs. Canton vs. Hong Kong vs. Taiwanese), Korean, Indian and Italian places to choose from. Like I can't actually believe you even bothered posting pictures of Chicago's world-famous hotdogs like people are actually begging and craving for them from far and wide. In North America I've only been to two other cities that rival Toronto's international food scene: NYC and LA.

Quote:
Ill take the food in Houston over Toronto anyday.
Right.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 11-14-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Toronto's skyline is nothing like Houston's, the bulk of Toronto's towers are residential, it is unlike any other city in North America outside of New York in that regard (except for maybe Miami and Vancouver).

What part of Houston looks like this?

Again.I said the buildings are bland and tall but Toronto;s is more impressive due to its size.Now if thats what you what you think I said,thats on you.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Again.I said the buildings are bland and tall but Toronto;s is more impressive due to its size.Now if thats what you what you think I said,thats on you.
But but but but my dear fellow, every major city has "bland and tall" buildings. I could easily think of two dozen off top of my head for both Chicago and Toronto. Not everything in Chicago (nor Toronto) is an architectural marvel. Some are, but many are not. I don't pretend in anyway that Toronto is anybody in this regard than Chicago, and vice versa.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
LOL. And my posts were called "vendettas" when I presented information about Chicago's in-your-face issues ranging from high crime, corruption, murders, debt, credit rating, population loss and public transit funding compared to Toronto.... but Othello is posting pictures of random statues saying Toronto doesn't have statues, Toronto doesn't have this, Toronto doesn't have that.

Have you not heard of The Princes Gates for example? Maybe you can look up some Toronto pics. I'd post some but I guess I would have a "vendetta" for posting pics for a city that I already said I visit annually (and have family in). lol.

And then to say Toronto (who has a much bigger skyline than Houston with buildings designed by some of the best architect in the world) has a skyline "bland like Houston" (a city that is about to pass Chicago in population soon...just like Toronto did in 2013).

Question for Othello: Are you leaving or are you staying? I can see why Chicago and the state of Illinois continues to lose population and decline after someone pointed out the 'staying or leaving' thread to me recently.

I dont live in Chicago and NEVER have as I already stated several times.

Its seems you have a "vendetta" based on you ignoring everything to keep hounding on which everyone admits is bad,Chicago's crime ,corruption and slow population growth.
In fact I brought it up in one of my first post.You are the one that keeps trying to make it like its the only thing going on in Chicago but never once mentioned anything about Toronto's trouble.
You know what they say about glass houses....lol

Things that every city in the U.S has to deal with due to stiff competition from cities in the Sunbelt that are much cheaper and warmer.
Canada has no warmer or cheaper alternatives so its either one of 3 major cities.

Now you once again want to point out Chicago is slowly loosing population but cannot seem to grasp that the city itself is growing while the Chicago "region" is experience some loss in population.
This really has nothing to do with the health of the city.As you have been shown countless articles on several gentrifying neighborhoods including the one you mistakenly thought was decaying but instead is being redeveloped in large part.

In Atlanta there is teh public library that was designed by Marcel Breuer.Its a very ugly building that adds nothing to the cities aesthetic but its a building of architectural importance.
This is what I think about Toronts's skyline.The important buidings are not necessarily nice buildings and those that are,are overshadowed by the many non descript condo towers.

I never said anything about Houston having more or less condo.Go back and read it again since you did not comprehend the first time.

So if I posted stuff but why have you not countered?It should not bother you so much if I were making incorrect assumptions based on what I have seen on my visits to both cities.

Truth is you Toronto posters are putting your foots in your mouths because of your claims dont add up to your delusional expectations.
Learn to appreciate the wonderful city you have and not how it can beat other cities.
Cities like NYC,Paris,London,Hong Kong are not looking at each others junk thinking "wow there is big but mines bigger".
No.They are themselves and that why they are ICONIC cities like Chicago.Chicago at this time in our lives is an iconic city.Some day it may not be.
Too much historical and culrural events happened in Chicago for it not to be.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 11-14-2016 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Oh wow. Hotdogs. Deep dish. Such a rich and delightful culinary culture. Facepalm.

I wonder why you have to boast two of the most mediocre and fat-inducing dishes in Chicago in order to qualify for a top notch food scene. Toronto like Chicago is an immigrant city and doesn't have much of its own local foods, yes, but its vast array of international cuisine options will keep any foodie busy for months on end. I'll take my spicy Mongolia hotpot, Sichuan Mapo Tofu, Korean bimbimbap bowl, Afghan chicken tikka wrap, Viet pho, German lamb donner anyday over the famous Chicagoan hotdogs. You say all major cities have diverse international food: that is true, but it's all about quality AND quantity. Do you honestly want to compare Chicago's Chinese, Korean, and Indian restaurants with the hundreds of ethnic eateries on Bloor West, Queen West, and Yonge? Or perhaps to Little Korea and Chinese takeouts in NYC Flushing? There's a difference between driving 15 minutes to your favorite Chinese take-out vs. walking 5 min down the street from one's condo immediately with 10 top notch Chinese (with the option of Hunan vs. Sichuan vs. Tianjin vs. Canton vs. Hong Kong vs. Taiwanese), Korean, Indian and Italian places to choose from. Like I can't actually believe you even bothered posting pictures of Chicago's world-famous hotdogs like people are actually begging and craving for them from far and wide. In North America I've only been to two other cities that rival Toronto's international food scene: NYC and LA.

Right.
Blah Blah.
thanks for showing the world how snobbish you are.One of the reasons I never liked Boston.

Funny thing is much of the foods you mentioned are just as unhealthy and fattening.yet because its from a small Cantonese village or from high in the regions of Kashmir its better and you can ignore the unhealthy morsels.
I mean whats wrong with you people?Who lives life by "Stats"?You think someone is going to Toronto because its more diverse than Chicago?LOL
Or because you can get more international street food?
No.
Most people want diversity and you can get that in most major cities.Just because you gotta bigger scene doesnt make it better.Even if it is better its not a determine factor in how enjoyable overall the city is or what makes in memorable.
if I want the best Korean Food ill go to LA.If I want the best Chinese,Id go to Vancouver or Montreal which are both better in my opinion than Toronto.

It always so funny to me when I go to Toronto or Montreal how fast you guys pick up a trend and then its gone.
I was just there and now the thing is Portuguese Chicken and BBQ.
I wasn't too impressed withe chicken. Didn't try the BBQ because I can get it better in the South.
My friend knows Im a good cook and thinks I should open an upscale Soul Food restaurant up there and I am considering it but I dont like the cold.
My friends who lived there say the one that came close was bland and he knew of no other ones around.If they were they are fe and in between.
So are u going to insult my culture of African America foods because they are not exotic and is largely fattening?So hypocritical.Oh but you LOVE DIVERSITY dont you?

And what about Tex Mex?
the thing I see in Toronto is a lot of food choices and also fusion,but the fusion is diffrent like it is in most American cities as the foods are fused with what ever reggion of the U.S.

For instance:There is a restirant in Atlanta specialty that serves Southern and Korean fusion.Its very popular.
This is what Tex Mex is.A fusion of American And Mexican

There is no local fusion of foods like this in Canada as far as I know.At least on a popular trendy scale.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 11-14-2016 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,675 times
The latest of many recent articles about Toronto from the New York Times:

36 Hours in Toronto

By JEREMY EGNER NOV. 10, 2016

"In this famously diverse city you’ll find an energetic food scene, vibrant street culture and cocktail wizardry."
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n-toronto.html

P.S. Not mentioned in the article, but Toronto also has fantastic hotdogs available at any of the hotdog stands found all around the downtown area.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The latest of many recent articles about Toronto from the New York Times:

36 Hours in Toronto

By JEREMY EGNER NOV. 10, 2016

"In this famously diverse city you’ll find an energetic food scene, vibrant street culture and cocktail wizardry."
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n-toronto.html

P.S. Not mentioned in the article, but Toronto also has fantastic hotdogs available at any of the hotdog stands found all around the downtown area.
You do know for everyone of these you post someone can post similar stuff about Chicago right?
The point is the style of hot dogs are "Chicago" and its known well outside Chicago.
Im sure they are found all over TGornto.

You can find Chicago foods even in Houston
https://www.yelp.com/biz/chicago-ita...-pizza-houston

Or in Atlanta
Skips Hot Dogs

Birmingham AL
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...40412035405053

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 11-14-2016 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,253 times
Quote:
I dont live in Chicago and NEVER have as I already stated several times.

Its seems you have a "vendetta" based on you ignoring everything to keep hounding on which everyone admits is bad,Chicago's crime ,corruption and slow population growth.
In fact I brought it up in one of my first post.You are the one that keeps trying to make it like its the only thing going on in Chicago but never once mentioned anything about Toronto's trouble.
You know what they say about glass houses....lol

Things that every city in the U.S has to deal with due to stiff competition from cities in the Sunbelt that are much cheaper and warmer.
Canada has no warmer or cheaper alternatives so its either one of 3 major cities.

Now you once again want to point out Chicago is slowly loosing population but cannot seem to grasp that the city itself is growing while the Chicago "region" is experience some loss in population.
This really has nothing to do with the health of the city.As you have been shown countless articles on several gentrifying neighborhoods including the one you mistakenly thought was decaying but instead is being redeveloped in large part.

In Atlanta there is teh public library that was designed by Marcel Breuer.Its a very ugly building that adds nothing to the cities aesthetic but its a building of architectural importance.
This is what I think about Toronts's skyline.The important buidings are not necessarily nice buildings and those that are,are overshadowed by the many non descript condo towers.

I never said anything about Houston having more or less condo.Go back and read it again since you did not comprehend the first time.

So if I posted stuff but why have you not countered?It should not bother you so much if I were making incorrect assumptions based on what I have seen on my visits to both cities.

Truth is you Toronto posters are putting your foots in your mouths because of your claims dont add up to your delusional expectations.
Learn to appreciate the wonderful city you have and not how it can beat other cities.
Cities like NYC,Paris,London,Hong Kong are not looking at each others junk thinking "wow there is big but mines bigger".
No.They are themselves and that why they are ICONIC cities like Chicago.Chicago at this time in our lives is an iconic city.Some day it may not be.
Too much historical and culrural events happened in Chicago for it not to be.
Youre right. The city is growing.Chicago grew by 82 people last year. lol.
If I recall, there were more people than that killed in August 2016 alone in Chicago, no?
I wonder how the total growth numbers will play out in the next year for the city of Chicago. We will have to wait and see I guess...

You act like Chicago is way ahead of other cities/metros of similar size, but that is not the case anymore. That's what many poster here are pointing out. But when the truth comes out many of your fellow Chi-rag boys start to cry and are in denial. This isn't 1976. We are in 2016.

Times have changed. Toronto has passed Chicago in city population, and Houston is about to do the same thing. Brooklyn too lol.
To portray as if Chicago exceeds everyone else in everything and ignore its problems is kinda sad really. People are leaving the city (and the state) because it aint what it used to be. No one here is saying Chicago is Aleppo. But to act like the city isnt struggling in various areas is just... denial? What comes after denial again? Acceptance?

Don't confuse people and act like it isnt. Everything that glitters ain't gold.

Chicago: Are you staying or going? - Chicago Tribune

Every city has troubles. But Chicago's are much worse than Toronto. A fact, but when its brought up you accuse people of having a vendetta. You have never heard of constructive criticism? SWOT Analysis? Or do they not teach that in declining enrollment Chicago Publc School System?

Cities like NYC,Paris,London,Hong Kong are not looking at each others junk thinking "wow there is big but mines bigger" ... correct, but they do compete. NYC and London are always competing for unofficial capital of the world and so on. Chicago and Toronto always ruled the Great Lakes, but times are changing. Get with the times lol. Chicago is the past, while Toronto is the future.

I have also discussed Chicago's Public School issues, its credit rating, the pension crisis. Yet you are also focusing on the population decline. Shall I pull up articles on the Justice System investigating the CPD? The closure of public schools. There is a lot that we can discuss.

And there you go blaming Chicago's decline on weather. Yes people are leaving for warmer climates, but other Midwest cities were at least not losing population. Remember that chart with Minneapolis?

You posted a link from an 'activist' from some random website that indicates the TTC is not being invested in.... I replied with a long list of approved and in progress funding by the TTC/Federal government reported by Canada's crown corporation media network.....I asked for something similar for Chicago for comparisons sake....Your reply? My long list is 'ridiculous'.

Mr Burns indicated Toronto gets more international visitors than Chicago. You asked for proof. It was provided. And all of a sudden you say the topic was 'irrelevant'. The constant backtracking is hilarious. lol.

I see you are not backtracking on the almost 700 murders the city has received so far (more than the two largest U.S. cities combined) and nearly 4,000 shootings year to date. But backtrack on other topics that are suddenly 'irrelevant and ridiculous'. Right?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 PM

153 posts, read 164,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
But but but but my dear fellow, every major city has "bland and tall" buildings. I could easily think of two dozen off top of my head for both Chicago and Toronto. Not everything in Chicago (nor Toronto) is an architectural marvel. Some are, but many are not. I don't pretend in anyway that Toronto is anybody in this regard than Chicago, and vice versa.
This is true. Especially some 60s 70s (less is more ) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe inspired buildings. Many were a basic box shape. But they still are part of a era of Architecture that is part of the evolution of skyscrapers.

Variety kinds and eras next to each other add such a variety and colors and construction materials even just veneer stonework. Also adds a variety that avoids sameness. Even HEIGHTS of buildings get the BLANDER title. But street-level can avoid much in buildings that have businesses and restaurants that help much. Variety of Architects also avoids SAMENESS.

Building on left is a early 70s Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
inspired buildings. Trumps Tower building in the middle with
20s Wrigley and Tribune buildings right in distance angle of
shot makes them look a lot smaller.

I WAS ADDRESSING BLANDER ARCHITECTURE. BUT WHAT VRIETIES THAT ARE AROUND IT AID
IN SEEING A VIEW AS BLAND AND SAMENESS,
Attached Thumbnails
Toronto vs Chicago vs (gulp) Montréal....-chicago-trump-tower-wacker-drive_.jpg  

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 11-14-2016 at 10:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 10:37 PM

615 posts, read 600,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
This is true. Especially some 60s 70s (less is more ) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe inspired buildings. Many were a basic box shape. But they still are part of a era of Architecture that is part of the evolution of skyscrapers.

Variety kinds and eras next to each other add such a variety and colors and construction materials even just veneer stonework. Also adds a variety that avoids sameness. Even HEIGHTS of buildings get the BLANDER title. But street-level can avoid much in buildings that have businesses and restaurants that help much. Variety of Architects also avoids SAMENESS.
Chicago and Toronto being Great Lake cities in close proximity share a lot in terms of architecture and variety, but Chicago was a much larger more developed city in the prettier eras of architecture, so it has many more examples of those types of buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City