Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 03:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can you like tone down on the all caps. And try complete sentences that actually make grammatical sense. Like I was seriously trying to read your post but had no idea what you were trying to get at.

IIRC, this poster's first language is not English. I agree with the toning down the all-caps though.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:29 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Isn't that kind of what you did here?

After which several people provided plenty of examples where your statement wasn't the case, "if only for informational purposes."
+1

Old 11-15-2016, 03:33 PM

400 posts, read 422,395 times
Born and bred in Toronto but obviously Chicago is a (couple) of classes above. Beautiful city which I've visited on many occasions.

To be fair, though, Chicago was a huge and important city in the 1950s when the 6ix was little more than a sleepy overgrown town with less going on than Buffalo NY. As late as the 70s it was considered a cultural backwater; everyone who wanted to have some real fun went down the road to Montreal.

Toronto IS growing rapidly and welcoming a lot of very driven people with lofty expectations and the money to realize them. There are a lot of people with money from Iran and China and russia settling and investing here so it'll be interesting to see how the city evolves. Some good news is that the public realm, which to my chagrin has always taken a back seat to unbridled development, is finally getting some attention and money from the city. Some interesting parks and public squares are going to be popping up in the next few years.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:34 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Isn't that kind of what you did here?

After which several people provided plenty of examples where your statement wasn't the case, "if only for informational purposes."
I don't see the problem with that?

I posted what I admitted is out of ignorance, and let the Chicago posters address the points.

This is mainly for my own learning than anything.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
The discounting of Toronto due to sheer ignorance is hilarious.

"What famous architect has come out of Toronto?"

um you mean Frank Gehry?

This is why Toronto posters are needed on CD, if only for informational purposes. The city is emerging in the psyche of the American mainstream, but there is just so much ignorance.
Actually frank Gehry is Canadian and American.His father was American born in Brooklyn.They moved to the U.S. when he was 16 to California where he got all his studies in architecture.
Quote:
Gehry is sometimes associated with what is known as the "Los Angeles School" or the "Santa Monica School" of architecture. The appropriateness of this designation and the existence of such a school, however, remains controversial due to the lack of a unifying philosophy or theory. This designation stems from the Los Angeles area's producing a group of the most influential postmodern architects, including such notable Gehry contemporaries as Eric Owen Moss and Pritzker Prize-winner Thom Mayne of Morphosis, as well as the famous schools of architecture at the Southern California Institute of Architecture (co‑founded by Mayne), UCLA, and USC where Gehry is a member of the board of directors
So forgive me how it was easy so easy to overlook ONE famous architect with DUAL citizenship of a man that has not lived in Toronto since he was a child and never had in architectural traning in Canada whatsoever could I overlooked due to my "ignorance".
I mean one would think if his hometown was so influential he would have a least one building in a city as grand as Toronto but I guess not....

Old 11-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Frank Gehry was born in Toronto and has designed a two tower complex which has been approved for construction and will exceed 300 metres in height.

It might not be "known around the world", but Toronto's 'bay-and-gable' style of residential architecture is unique to the city and immediately identifiable as Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay-and-gable
Those building designs have been around for at least 2 years now and still nothing yet.Whenits competed THEN it can be discussed properly.
https://www.dezeen.com/2014/07/03/fr...apers-toronto/
Yes I recognize it as Toronto syle but its a variation of Victorian which exist indifferent forms everywhere.In Toronto its always brick.In the South and West,its always wood with more elaborate designs.

Here is a typical Queen Anne Victorian in Atlanta's Inman Park dating back to 1880;s.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 11-15-2016 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't be so dismissive. Almost all of the world's greatest and finest dishes have modest origins with the "people".

Stuff that has been mentioned as Chicago's signature dishes sometimes gets refined and morphs into something great. The people's food is the launching pad for great stuff. (In most cases, fine original cuisine can't thrive without it.)

This is not to say that it will happen with every dish. But it's difficult for fine, locally-focused cuisine to germinate without a unique local base cuisine.

It's kind of like poutine which is junk food but has led to multiple finer incarnations with fine cheeses, demi-glace and other sauces, expensive and imported meats, etc. It's not the construction worker's poutine anymore.

BTW I do agree about Toronto's international food scene. But 99% of the time that's simply replicating the best Chinese from China, Thai from Thailand, Abyssinian from Abyssinia, etc.

All of which is good and very fun to sample. But some will say it's lacking on the uniqueness side.
This is exactly what I said about my friend saying the Soul food he could find was bland.Its great you can have so much to offer but if ts not representing properly,you do a disserice to that cuisine and culture.

thank you for being fair minded.We dont have to agree on everything to see there is merit in what is being said.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:11 PM

153 posts, read 164,044 times
Quote:
^^
I love big boxy buildings, the original WTC twin towers were my favorite skyscrapers in the world. TD center are my favorite skyscrapers in Toronto.

As for Chicago, you are bashing Toronto for having similar looking buildings a-la Miami, but these all fit that same definition, all the buildings are same looking residential:
I don't see how that's different from Cityplace in Toronto
You must be joking I bash Toronto. I merely noted a link another you argue with posted. It seemed to highlight aspects of Toronto's issues I even noted in part as growing pains. If you take time to read post and open a link on Toronto posted. You could DIRECTLY COMMENT ON THEM. Instead we get constantly posting on Chicago's issues I and others took as bashing. Because you kept posting them for pages of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can you like tone down on the all caps. And try complete sentences that actually make grammatical sense. Like I was seriously trying to read your post but had no idea what you were trying to get at.
The insults not related to the cities keep coming from Torontonians. As I said other threads get that way too.
Yes I know others links and comments re not read. You see some mention of Toronto and run with it like it is a WAR? You were very civil in the thread in earlier post.

Back to the first post I am replying to.
I addressed NO Toronto buildings as bland. But I understood others noting mass building of buildings. Can lead too sameness and most having similar exterior buildings of similar look. Consider this clarifying my comment.

Then I felt why not post some pictures of how and why Chicago has such difference in aspects of architecture from so many eras not built same few years whole blocks. Use of existing buildings and repurpose them mainly to residential LOFTS. Then INFILL is in new high-rises as shown. Actually pointing out the one picture has a few newer buildings. Most are different decades and clad in ALL KINDS OF EXTERIORS. A couple did not post but should be viewable as attachments. Why I do both.

IRONICALLY you post a picture of Toronto with 3 dark colored (coloured) high-rises same HEIGHT and LOOK and 2 white ones identical basically in the background.

I personally like white or lighter colored high-rises skyscrapers then dark-glass ones. But again even the picture of mine you reposted. Has buildings in the background from the 60s 70s. Some of course are newer. But notin actual DOWNTOWN OFFICIAL BOUNDARIES. As it End near the point the high-rise the photo is taken. None in the background are in downtown for sure.
Quote:
The discounting of Toronto due to sheer ignorance is hilarious.

"What famous architect has come out of Toronto?"
um you mean Frank Gehry?

This is why Toronto posters are needed on CD, if only for informational purposes. The city is emerging in the psyche of the American mainstream, but there is just so much ignorance.
please stop mocking others post and calling anyone IGNORANT and LAUGH at them. It is TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL. I mentioned no architects. Geeesh .

Why and where did I mock a great Architect like Frank Gehry? Maybe I SHOULD CALL YOU IGNORANT for not realizing GEHRY'S, as one of the Architects who CONTRIBUTED TO CHICAGO'S MILLENNIUM PARK. I merely said something on many residential High-rises are done in Toronto by the same handful of Architects. Gehry is designing SKYSCRAPERS THERE. He is in the big Time stature now.

I do not know where you get these smear tactics to accuse me for? Honestly do not. Can't I have a CIVIL OPINION even on Toronto? Do you expect others to say Toronto is God's gift to North America?
Shouldn't I bother to post post something POSITIVE on Chicago and in pictures and comment on its positives I see?
Seems that way. You bombard people with nothing but why I see as personally attacking them to DARE post positives on Chicago and any Toronto comments not ooh's and awe's fall short of having any common sense or able to have opinion?

As for Architect Frank Getty. He is one of the Architects CREDITED for CHICAGO'S MILLENNIUM PARK.
Information below from Wikipedia.

The park was conceived as a 16-acre landscape-covered bridge over an underground parking structure to be built on top of the Metra/Illinois Central Railroad tracks in Grant Park. Originally, the park was to be designed by Skidmore, Owens and Merril, but gradually additional architects and artists such as Frank Gehryand Thomas Beeby were incorporated into the plan. Sponsors were sought by invitation only.

In February 1999, the city announced it was negotiating with Frank Gehry to design a proscenium arch and orchestra enclosure for a bandshell, as well as a pedestrian bridge crossing Columbus Drive, and that it was seeking donors to cover his work.

At the time, the Chicago Tribune dubbed Gehry "the hottest architect in the universe" in reference to the acclaim for his Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, and they noted the designs would not include Mayor Richard M Daley's trademarks, such as wrought iron and seasonal flower boxes.

Millennium Park project manager Edward Uhlir said "Frank is just the cutting edge of the next century of architecture," and noted that no other architect was being sought. Gehry was approached several times by Skidmore architect Adrian Smith on behalf of the city. Gehry won the Pritzker Prize in 1989.o

Pritzker enticed Gehry for commitment toward the bandshell's creation. Having Gehry get involved helped the city realize its vision of having modern themes in the park; upon rumors of his involvement the Chicago Sun-Times proclaimed "Perhaps the future has arrived", while the Chicago Tribune noted that "The most celebrated architect in the world may soon have a chance to bring Chicago into the 21st Century".

Plans for the park were officially announced in March 1998 and construction began in September of that year. In April 1999, the city announced that the Pritzker family had donated $15 million to fund Gehry's bandshell and an additional nine donors committed $10 million.The day of this announcement, Gehry agreed to the design request. In November. Later that month, Gehry unveiled his new winding design for the bridge.

**Please spare me NOT knowing Frank Gehry. Especially his work for Chicago. I never originally mentioned him.

Pictures of YOUR FRANK GEHRY'S CONTRIBUTION TO CHICAGO. (No skyscraper by him yet there that I know of?) A couple Pictures of his Work in Chicago's Millennium Park ALL got international praises for. Including Mr. Gehry.

HIS CONCERT PAVILION HE DESIGNED FOR THE CITY. SYMPHONIES, CONCERTS and Film's shown.
NOT SHOWING ARE THE MANY ROWS OF RED SEATS IN FRONT OF THE PAVILION.

GEHRY'S WINDING WALKWAY OVER COLUMBUS DR. TO WHERE THE CHILDREN'S MAGGIE DAYLEY PARK IS.

Attached Thumbnails
Toronto vs Chicago vs (gulp) Montréal....-frank-gehry-designed-pritzler-pavillian__.jpg   Toronto vs Chicago vs (gulp) Montréal....-frank-gehry-designed-walk-bridge-over  

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 11-15-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
You must be joking I bash Toronto. I merely noted a link another you argue with posted. It seemed to highlight aspects of Toronto's issues I even noted in part a growing pains. If you take time to read post. Open a link posted. You will see I merely in reading links. You constantly posted Chicago's issues I and others took as bashing. Because you kept posting them for pages of the thread.

The insults not related to the cities keep coming from Torontonians. As I said other threads get that way too.

Yes I know others links and comments re not read. You see some mention of Toronto and run with it like it is a WAR? You were very civil in the thread in earlier post.

Back to the first post I am replying to.
I addressed NO Toronto buildings as bland. But I understood others noting mass building of buildings. Can lead too sameness and most having similar exterior buildings of similar look. Consider this clarifying my comment.

Then I felt why not post some pictures of how and why Chicago has such difference in aspects of architecture from so many eras not built same few years whole blocks. Use of existing buildings and repurpose them mainly to residential LOFTS. Then INFILL is in new high-rises as shown. Actually pointing out the one picture has a few newer buildings. Most are different decades and clad in ALL KINDS OF EXTERIORS. A couple did not post but should be viewable as attachments. Why I do both.

IRONICALLY you post a picture of Toronto with 3 dark colored (coloured) high-rises same HEIGHT and LOOK and 2 white ones identical basically in the background.

I personally like white or lighter colored high-rises skyscrapers then dark-glass ones. But again even the picture of mine you reposted. Has buildings in the background from the 60s 70s. Some of course are newer. But notin actual DOWNTOWN OFFICIAL BOUNDARIES. As it End near the point the high-rise the photo is taken. None in the background are in downtown for sure.

please stop mocking others post and calling anyone IGNORANT and LAUGH at them. It is TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL. I mentioned no architects. Geeesh .

Why and where did I mock a great Architect like Frank Gehry? Maybe I SHOULD CALL YOU IGNORANT for not realizing that Architects CONTRIBUTION TO CHICAGO'S MILLENNIUM PARK. I merely sid something on many residential High-rises are done in Toronto by the same handful of Architects. Gehry is designing SKYSCRAPERS THERE. He is in the big Time stature now.

I do not know where you get these smear tactics to accuse me for? Honestly do not. Can't I have a CIVIL OPINION even on Toronto? Do you expect others to say Toronto is God's gift to North America?
Shouldn't I bother to post post something POSITIVE on Chicago and in pictures and comment on its positives I see?
Seems that way. You bombard people with nothing but why I see as personally attacking them to DARE post positives on Chicago and any Toronto comments not ooh's and awe's fall short of having any common sense or able to have opinion?

As for Architect Frank Getty. He is one of the Architects CREDITED for CHICAGO'S MILLENNIUM PARK.

The park was conceived as a 16-acre landscape-covered bridge over an underground parking structure to be built on top of the Metra/Illinois Central Railroad tracks in Grant Park. Originally, the park was to be designed by Skidmore, Owens and Merril, but gradually additional architects and artists such as Frank Gehryand Thomas Beeby were incorporated into the plan. Sponsors were sought by invitation only.

In February 1999, the city announced it was negotiating with Frank Gehry to design a proscenium arch and orchestra enclosure for a bandshell, as well as a pedestrian bridge crossing Columbus Drive, and that it was seeking donors to cover his work.

At the time, the Chicago Tribune dubbed Gehry "the hottest architect in the universe" in reference to the acclaim for his Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, and they noted the designs would not include Mayor Richard M Daley's trademarks, such as wrought iron and seasonal flower boxes.

Millennium Park project manager Edward Uhlir said "Frank is just the cutting edge of the next century of architecture," and noted that no other architect was being sought. Gehry was approached several times by Skidmore architect Adrian Smith on behalf of the city. Gehry won the Pritzker Prize in 1989.o

Pritzker enticed Gehry for commitment toward the bandshell's creation. Having Gehry get involved helped the city realize its vision of having modern themes in the park; upon rumors of his involvement the Chicago Sun-Times proclaimed "Perhaps the future has arrived", while the Chicago Tribune noted that "The most celebrated architect in the world may soon have a chance to bring Chicago into the 21st Century".

Plans for the park were officially announced in March 1998 and construction began in September of that year. In April 1999, the city announced that the Pritzker family had donated $15 million to fund Gehry's bandshell and an additional nine donors committed $10 million.The day of this announcement, Gehry agreed to the design request. In November. Later that month, Gehry unveiled his new winding design for the bridge.

**Please spare me NOT knowing Frank Gehry. Especially his work for Chicago. I never originally mentioned him.

Pictures of YOUR FRANK GEHRY'S CONTRIBUTION TO CHICAGO. (No skyscraper by him yet there that I know of?) A couple Pictures of his Work in Chicago's Millennium Park ALL got international praises for. Including Mr. Gehry.

HIS CONCERT PAVILION HE DESIGNED FOR THE CITY. SYMPHONIES, CONCERTS and Film's shown.
NOT SHOWING ARE THE MANY ROWS OF RED SEATS IN FRONT OF THE PAVILION.

GEHRY'S WINDING WALKWAY OVER COLUMBUS DR. TO WHERE THE CHILDREN'S MAGGIE DAYLEY PARK IS.
Its just so odd all that Frank Gehr has done in Chicago but to date not one completed project even in his birth place of Toronto.Hmm makes you wonder.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM

the reason why Chicago is kicking but in this thread is what the OP asked:
Quote:
Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Now Im assuming he meant NOW seeing how none of us can predict the future.

Now you Toronto posters want to show us how Toronto is equal or greater?

Powerful-Chicago much higher GDP,More Corporations headquartered,several Stock exchanges.Influential people from there like Barak Obama,Kanye West and Oprah to name a few.Toront has Drake......

Culturally significant_Chicago.Outside of Broadway Chicago is the theater capital.Many inventions including the skyscraper,music genres like House was invented there.Chicago Blues.Chicago foods etc.
Toronto has a "peameal sandwhich".

World Class-Magnificent Mile and Lake Shore Drive known all over the world.Toronto may have something similar but its lacking in every way and is not the real thing.World class architecture and public spaces everywhere.
Toronto has CN Tower and Kensington Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City