Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to Chicago?
Boston 71 23.20%
New York 145 47.39%
Right in the middle 90 29.41%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 09:09 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
You can’t really interpret the “neutral” response as belonging to one side or the other, though. You could just as well interpret that 75% of posters think Chicago is closer to NYC, or in the middle vs. 25% who think it is closer to Boston.

Not saying I agree with the assessment, but the poll is what it is.
Touche. Good point

Although, I was reading that he was trying to imply that it is a "runaway" that people think it's closer to NYC. When in reality less than half of voters think that.

So in this case, the "neutral" would would align with the other side if you dichotomized the responses into Closer to NY or Not Closer to NY (which would include Closer to Boston or in the Middle).

I agree that interpretation can be tricky. If you eliminate those who are neutral, you are correct that more people on CD think it's closer to NY based on those who answered definitely (i.e. didn't choose "in the middle").

Old 02-03-2023, 09:42 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
You can’t really interpret the “neutral” response as belonging to one side or the other, though. You could just as well interpret that 75% of posters think Chicago is closer to NYC, or in the middle vs. 25% who think it is closer to Boston.

Not saying I agree with the assessment, but the poll is what it is.
It’s also entirely possible peoples beliefs don’t really align with current reality.

In 1995 you probably had something closer to Chicago in the middle. But that doesn’t seem to shake out anymore

I also think like BBMM said, Bostonians typically have their first experience in “other cities” in New York or maybe Montreal. Which are much bigger or the same size as Boston. Which Chicagoans it’s St Louis or Indy or Milwaukee.

As a result Chicagoan’s spread the gospel of them being from a uniquely large city. While Bostonians don’t. Even though it’s shaped as much by perspective than reality.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:47 AM

372 posts, read 203,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s also entirely possible peoples beliefs don’t really align with current reality.

In 1995 you probably had something closer to Chicago in the middle. But that doesn’t seem to shake out anymore

I also think like BBMM said, Bostonians typically have their first experience in “other cities” in New York or maybe Montreal. Which are much bigger or the same size as Boston. Which Chicagoans it’s St Louis or Indy or Milwaukee.

As a result Chicagoan’s spread the gospel of them being from a uniquely large city. While Bostonians don’t. Even though it’s shaped as much by perspective than reality.
Chicago's MSA is almost twice that of Boston. It is large...no matter where one lives. Perspective is one thing, facts are another.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

As a result, Chicagoan’s spread the gospel of them being from a uniquely large city. While Bostonians don’t. Even though it’s shaped as much by perspective than reality.
Montreal???

I won't lie I don't know anyone whos been to Montreal, just a few posters here. After Boston id say the first visit to New York is way way more common. This makes sense, no passport or ID is needed, its dominant language is the same and it is closer. I cant imagine why you'd go to Montreal before NYC- that seems like a later-in-life trip.

When I say New York its definitely New York. Or Providence I guess if that counts. But I think people see that as Boston-south not truly its own thing...

Old 02-03-2023, 10:16 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Chicago's MSA is almost twice that of Boston. It is large...no matter where one lives. Perspective is one thing, facts are another.
Boston’s MSA doesn’t include many of the city’s suburbs due to Worcester, Providence, and Nashua having their own MSAs. The CSAs are very close in population and within 50square miles the cities are similar too. There is a drop-off probably around 300-400 square miles, here Chicago is much bigger due to close-in suburbs by Boston being kept rural for the sake of aesthetics and maintaining concentrations of wealth.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Boston’s MSA doesn’t include many of the city’s suburbs due to Worcester, Providence, and Nashua having their own MSAs. The CSAs are very close in population and within 50square miles the cities are similar too. There is a drop-off probably around 300-400 square miles, here Chicago is much bigger due to close-in suburbs by Boston being kept rural for the sake of aesthetics and maintaining concentrations of wealth.
I think we all know that Chicago's CSA is limited by Milwaukee's CSA...they adjoin. It's pretty much solid development between the two cities, if one goes along Lake Michigan. Chicago, like NYC, is considered a mega-city. Usually, population is determined by MSA, not CSA.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:26 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Montreal???

I won't lie I don't know anyone whos been to Montreal, just a few posters here. After Boston id say the first visit to New York is way way more common. This makes sense, no passport or ID is needed, its dominant language is the same and it is closer. I cant imagine why you'd go to Montreal before NYC- that seems like a later-in-life trip.

When I say New York its definitely New York. Or Providence I guess if that counts. But I think people see that as Boston-south not truly its own thing...
I mean I run in crowds that are full of Hockey fans and know a lot of people who went up to Montreal at 18/19/20 cause they could Drink and go to a Habs game.

College Trips to Canada in general aren’t uncommon cause of the Drinking age

Old 02-03-2023, 10:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Montreal???

Yeah, I had to do a double-take when I read that too. I know a good number of native Bostonians, and none of them have any connection to Montreal and few that I know have even visited. There is a definite connection with NYC. I mean, I guess there might be some one-off instances, but it's definitely not a city wide phenomenon where Bostonians are "having their first experience" in Montreal....kind of odd to even write that out, lol.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I think we all know that Chicago's CSA is limited by Milwaukee's CSA...they adjoin. It's pretty much solid development between the two cities, if one goes along Lake Michigan. Chicago, like NYC, is considered a mega-city. Usually, population is determined by MSA, not CSA.
If we’re going that route then- Bostons CSA directly abuts the Hartford CSA and Portland CSA http://censusreporter.org/profiles/3...-ri-nh-ct-csa/

Also by MSA Chi is much closer to Boston than NYC. As we all know.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
If we’re going that route then- Bostons CSA directly abuts the Hartford CSA and Portland CSA http://censusreporter.org/profiles/3...-ri-nh-ct-csa/

Also by MSA Chi is much closer to Boston than NYC. As we all know.
I guess you can change the norm, if you insist. But, I think most know that an MSA is much closer to "real", than CSA. If you're trying to honestly say Boston is considered to be like Chicago, maybe it is in some aspects. But "bit city" wise, it's really not. Chicago is ranked #3, Boston isn't in the top ten, if you look up rankings. https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City