Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:38 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No qualms with what you said there. By nature of it being the Midwest it’s less connected than cities in the east coast. Isn’t it like less than 1% of people in the Milwaukee MSA commute to Chicago work?
I don't know the percentage....I just know several who do. The ones I know commute to downtown...there are more who commute by car, from suburb to suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Let's see:

1) Walkability & Bike-ability
2) Neighborhoods: Upscale v/s Up & Coming v/s Rough
3) Restaurant/Bar Scene
4) Nightlife & Entertainment
5) Culture & Arts Scene
6) Diversity & Openness/Friendliness to "outsiders"
7) Relationship to the bigger city in that region [subject to interpretation]
8) What can be accessed within a 1 hour drive
9) Current and projected growth
10) Architecture & Housing Styles

Yep.
Current and projected growth might be one issue, but on the other hand, I personally don't like places that grow too quickly or are too trendy.
Openness to outsiders: Wisconsin on the whole is very friendly but quirky. Milwaukee is a little more used to outsiders than smaller towns in the state.
Not sure how a city that 96 square miles is more walkable than a city that's 18 square miles...and more densely populated.

Also not sure how it wins in Architecture...

Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
1) Walkability & Bike-ability

10) Architecture & Housing Styles
Baltimore's skyline/prominent buildings are in completely different league here, and it's row-homes scream urbanity. Providence still shoots well above it's weight as well. Milwaukee never really had an architectural boom construction phase, but there are some interesting concepts that float up every now and then.
I agree with almost all of you post, except for this. Baltimore's skyline is in no way in a "completely differnt league here." Baltimore has one of the smallest, boxiest skylines of any major city. Milwaukee has more prominent buildings than Baltimore and a nice lakefront (with more big buildings under development).

Development of The Couture moves forward along Milwaukee’s Lakefront skyline | The Milwaukee Independent

Baltimore does not have 1 building that cracks 600 feet, which is pathetic for a major city (every major city has at least one signature 600+ ft skyscraper). The waterfront is nice, but the overall skyline is tiny and certainly doesn't have prominent buildings that are in a completely different league than Milwaukee.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Milwaukee is further away from Chicago than Baltimore is from Philly. A unified CSA is a realyyy big stretch.

Regarding the bars in Fells Point. The neighborhood is 1/10th of a sq miles. and has anywhere from 120-140 independent bars/pubs. It's one of the largest singular bar districts in the country.
Actually, it's 15 miles closer. I have never heard of Fells Point, but I'm thinking it's a good bet that Milwaukee has more overall. If one doesn't think that Milwaukee has a lot of bars, they've never been there.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Actually, it's 15 miles closer. I have never heard of Fells Point, but I'm thinking it's a good bet that Milwaukee has more overall. If one doesn't think that Milwaukee has a lot of bars, they've never been there.
I’m skeptical of that too but wow there are so many bars in Fells point... kind of overwhelming when I first came to Bmore. There are a lot

Old 05-11-2020, 08:06 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with almost all of you post, except for this. Baltimore's skyline is in no way in a "completely differnt league here." Baltimore has one of the smallest, boxiest skylines of any major city. Milwaukee has more prominent buildings than Baltimore and a nice lakefront (with more big buildings under development).

Baltimore does not have 1 building that cracks 600 feet, which is pathetic for a major city (every major city has at least one signature 600+ ft skyscraper). The waterfront is nice, but the overall skyline is tiny and certainly doesn't have prominent buildings that are in a completely different league than Milwaukee.
Thats like saying Bostons skyline is "tiny," because Charlotte/Cleveland/OKC have +800' buildings and Boston doesn't.

Baltimore has more skyscrapers than Milwaukee & Providence.. combined.. with room to spare.

By number of +100m buildings
Baltimore has 26
Milwaukees has 13
Providences has 4

By number to +300' buildings
Baltimore has 32
Milwaukee has 14
Providence has 5

There is zero comparison between Baltimore and Milwaukee's skyline despite the formers "height" deficiany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I digress on the distance after re-checking, still +90 miles is imho way to far for integrated connectivity in the way DC/Baltimore or Providence/Boston share. Regarding Fells Point I know it sounds crazy and I know Milwaukee has a great bar scene.. but there is a lotttttt.

Every building in this google view is it's own bar/pub. It is overwhelming, even to locals

Last edited by Joakim3; 05-11-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 AM

I just googled Milwaukee’s skyline.

Pathetic. Literally lookS like four talk buildings. more comparable to Providence than Baltimore IMO.

Makes sense since eProvidence has a bigger MSA than Milwaukee..

Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Thats like saying Bostons skyline is "tiny," because Charlotte/Cleveland/OKC have +800' buildings and Boston doesn't.

Baltimore has more skyscrapers than Milwaukee & Providence.. combined.. with room to spare.

By number of +100m buildings
Baltimore has 26
Milwaukees has 13
Providences has 4

By number to 300' buildings
Baltimore has 32
Milwaukee has 14
Providence has 5

There is zero comparison between Baltimore and Milwaukee in the skyline department. Baltimore skyline is larger than Pittsburgh & Charlotte's by numerical numbers.

I digress on the distance after re-checking, still +90 is imho way to far for integrated connectivity in the way DC/Baltimore or Providence/Boston share. Regarding Fells Point I know it sounds crazy and I know Milwaukee is a drinking city/has a great bar scene.. but there is a lotttttt.

Every single building in this google view has/is it's own bar/pub
I don't doubt that Baltimore has more buildings. But the skyline itself is ugly and boxy. It has no building that cracks 600 feet. Maybe that is why mentally it doesn't do it for me. OKC, Charlotte, Milwaukee, and every other medium size city has a signature 600+ foot skyscraper.

If you go on numbers, I will concede that Baltimore wins, but it is not an impressive skyline at all. It is small, dated, boxy, so I still would put it in a "completely different league" than Milwaukee, even if it is bigger on metrics.

The waterfront is nice, and if it ever got one signature tall tower, 600+ foot, it would be awesome. Until then, it is a bland little choppy skyline. It is tiny compared to any major city. Baltimore's largest skyscraper, the TransAmerica building (built in the 1970s) would be a non-distinct, mid-rise building in any other major city. Pathetic that, that is still the largest building in Baltimore.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't doubt that Baltimore has more buildings. But the skyline itself is ugly and boxy. It has no building that cracks 600 feet. Maybe that is why mentally it doesn't do it for me. OKC, Charlotte, Milwaukee, and every other medium size city has a signature 600+ foot skyscraper.

If you go on numbers, I will concede that Baltimore wins, but it is not an impressive skyline at all. It is small, dated, boxy, so I still would put it in a "completely different league" than Milwaukee, even if it is bigger on metrics.

The waterfront is nice, and if it ever got one signature tall tower, 600+ foot, it would be awesome. Until then, it is a bland little choppy skyline. It is tiny compared to any major city. Baltimore's largest skyscraper, the TransAmerica building (built in the 1970s) would be a non-distinct, mid-rise building in any other major city. Pathetic that, that is still the largest building in Baltimore.
Agree but the architecture and 19th century ‘skyscrapers’ in Baltimore give the downtown a very cool feeling. Does Milwaukee have an interesting or classical downtown?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:40 AM

I haven't compared their downtowns. Pathetic is what someone would call Milwaukee skyline, if they have never been there. It's not grand, but it's tallest buildings are a little taller than Baltimore's tallest. Also, Baltimore has well over one million people in its MSA...doesn't one expect a difference? It's so easy for someone who has never been to Milwaukee, to think it's not much. Then, they come, and see for themselves. It's a beautiful city...very impressive on the east side. Downtown Milwaukee sits on Lake Michigan, that looks like an ocean. Don't judge, until you've been there. What I love, is driving along the lake, and looking up at the many tall condos that overlook the lake...and also, are adjoined to downtown. It's truly beautiful.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0315.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0566.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0553.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...w=1600&bih=789

The firsts link shows part of Milwaukee's Third Ward, which adjoins downtown. It has condos (with boat slips), a West Elm, a Restoration Hardware, an Anthropoligie, many restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Milwaukee doesn't just exist in skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City