Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 08:21 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think the MARC was a bit faster because the trains are newer and just a better run company/service in general. But electrification is coming to the Providence line eventually per the MBTA. From what I can recall it seems like Providence has more frequent trains. But honestly I don’t think it matters that much-no one rides 15 trains a day.
I agree no one rides 15 trains a day, but running more trains, especially if it were significantly greater frequencies and they were cheaper and the trip faster, does mean that it's easier for someone to on a lark make the trip and probably results in more ridership. There's probably not much of a difference though given that the two lines have about the same daily ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 08:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree no one rides 15 trains a day, but running more trains, especially if it were significantly greater frequencies and they were cheaper and the trip faster, does mean that it's easier for someone to on a lark make the trip and probably results in more ridership. There's probably not much of a difference though given that the two lines have about the same daily ridership.
About the same daily ridership but a much smaller population in Providence which to me suggests a higher degree of connectivity to Boston.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:49 AM

I did a cursory look--no easy access to pre-covid schedules to find frequencies, but in terms of time and fare costs for a one-way trip:

MARC Penn Line | Baltimore to DC | 60 minutes | $8.00
MBTA Providence | Providence to Boston | 73 minutes | $12.25
Amtrak Hiawatha | Milwaukee to Chicago | 89 minutes | $25.00

Milwaukee does not have commuter rail to Chicago, but the next best and much more pricey thing is fairly frequent Amtrak service on the Hiawatha line. I can see Providence line being electrified (technically, the line it's running on is electrified now since Amtrak electric rolling stock run on the same exact tracks) in a near-ish term future and cutting down its times to be more in line with MARC Penn Line times. Supposedly electrified rolling stock as well as shorter run times for the trip would mean operating expenses are down, but I'm not so sure that would result in lower fares.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I did a cursory look--no easy access to pre-covid schedules to find frequencies, but in terms of time and fare costs for a one-way trip:

MARC Penn Line | Baltimore to DC | 60 minutes | $8.00
MBTA Providence | Providence to Boston | 73 minutes | $12.25
Amtrak Hiawatha | Milwaukee to Chicago | 89 minutes | $25.00

Milwaukee does not have commuter rail to Chicago, but the next best and much more pricey thing is fairly frequent Amtrak service on the Hiawatha line. I can see Providence line being electrified (technically, the line it's running on is electrified now since Amtrak electric rolling stock run on the same exact tracks) in a near-ish term future and cutting down its times to be more in line with MARC Penn Line times. Supposedly electrified rolling stock as well as shorter run times for the trip would mean operating expenses are down, but I'm not so sure that would result in lower fares.
Also worth noting it’s usually faster to drive Providence to Boston than Baltimore to DC. Much less traffic in the Providence area. That DC traffic is a beast and its circular. Boston’s traffic primarily comes form the north and west and to a lesser extent Route 3 which runs to the cape and away from Providence.

And I’m not sure the MARC runs on Sunday. Edit: quick google search shows two train run to Baltimore on Sundays from DC. Compared to 7 Providence to Boston.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Also worth noting it’s usually faster to drive Providence to Boston than Baltimore to DC. Much less traffic in the Providence area. That DC traffic is a beast and its circular. Boston’s traffic primarily comes form the north and west and to a lesser extent Route 3 which runs to the cape and away from Providence.

And I’m not sure the MARC runs on Sunday. Edit: quick google search shows two train run to Baltimore on Sundays from DC. Compared to 7 Providence to Boston.
Number of trains isn't the same as number of riders. How big are the trains and how many cars do they have? MARC runs 4/5 car trains on the Penn Line on weekends. This was 6 years ago back when weekend service just began.

https://dcist.com/story/14/03/14/mar...kend-capacity/

Old 05-12-2020, 09:54 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Here's the thing, Milwaukee and Chicago are continuous. Their suburbs touch. You can live closer to Milwaukee, and be in the Chicago MSA. Chicago has swallowed up part of Milwaukee's MSA. People like to talk about the cities being 90 miles apart...that's city center to city center. Unless one needs to start and end at city center, chances are, your destination is a lot closer, than that. Also, there are 8 and soon will be 10, trains that run daily between the two cities. The two cities aren't dependent on each other, but they will, some day, be a part of the same CSA. Many people I know in Milwaukee work in the Chicago suburbs, and I know Chicagoans who have condos in Milwaukee, and spend the week-end there.

The person who thought Baltimore had more bars in one section, than the entire city of Milwaukee needs to rethink that. Clearly, they aren't at all familiar with Milwaukee.
The Metros only touch along the coast. Inland, there's at least 15 miles of rural farmland between the suburbs of Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Number of trains isn't the same as number of riders. How big are the trains and how many cars do they have? MARC runs 4/5 car trains on the Penn Line on weekends. This was 6 years ago back when weekend service just began.

https://dcist.com/story/14/03/14/mar...kend-capacity/
MBTA commuter rail cars run 4-8 cars and carry between 400 and 1400 passengers.

The Providence-Boston line is the busiest of all commuter rail lines.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:04 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
It makes sense to use infrastructure spending as a way to stimulate the economy since it would be both immediate work and would spur future economic advantages. However, I believe Hogan vetoed this bill: https://legiscan.com/MD/bill/HB1236/2020

So what happens now? Are the prospects of it getting passed even with the veto pretty slim?
Hogan doesn't know what he wants to do because he's playing the fence. He may have vetoed that bill but has been fully backing Maglev to run from DC to Baltimore through his state. Something is going to have to happen is all I know because Baltimore is stagnant at this point. Maglev would be trans-formative for both cities, but not because of connecting the two to one another. It's because of the potential connection it could provide to the rest of the NE corridor.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence/Stoughton_Line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence/Stoughton_Line

1500 more riders Boston-Providence than the Penn Line. So about a 7% difference.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Hogan doesn't know what he wants to do because he's playing the fence. He may have vetoed that bill but has been fully backing Maglev to run from DC to Baltimore through his state. Something is going to have to happen is all I know because Baltimore is stagnant at this point. Maglev would be trans-formative for both cities, but not because of connecting the two to one another. It's because of the potential connection it could provide to the rest of the NE corridor.
Do you know how it's looking in terms of the veto being overridden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City