Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times

Advertisements

I think all three are interesting and strongly underrated cities. I am biased towards Baltimore, since I currently live there. The architecture and history of many Baltimore neighborhoods is fantastic. I also lived in Wisconsin for years, and I think Milwaukee is a fun (oft overlooked) city; whoever said Milwaukee and Madison are nothing to see: I couldn't disagree more, especially regarding Madison, although I do think there are several ways Madison outshines Mke, which I think disadvantages Mke. Providence is okay, but I think it's the weakest of these three, and I never thought it was a huge draw when I lived in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I see what your saying but I like that downtown Baltimore has tons of just regular rowhomes, street level commerce, grit and pretty architecture. The harbor areas are nicer and more pleasurable b it downtown Bmore is kind of big and it’s really interesting to look at an architecturally /socially it’s cool. Very accessible and lived in-in that sense it’s classical. It’s fairly mixed use and a fairly good cross section of different socioeconomic classes. Although there is much of downtown Bmore that just offices.

Just wondering if any Milwaukee shots would be that eye catching.
I would give Baltimore the edge in downtown from what I've seen. My original comment wasn't related to downtowns though, it was strictly related to "skylines." Neither city is overly impressive, so I don't think Baltimore's could be considered "in a different league" than Milwaukee's. Although again, one tall signature building in the right location for Baltimore, I think could really elevate it's skyline to another level. The new 414 light street still didn't crack the 600 foot mark, although it is a nice addition. Still would be nice to get a real signature tall building (600+), although given that it took Baltimore almost 40 years to get a building that tall (500 feet), I won't hold my breath

Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think all three are interesting and strongly underrated cities. I am biased towards Baltimore, since I currently live there. The architecture and history of many Baltimore neighborhoods is fantastic. I also lived in Wisconsin for years, and I think Milwaukee is a fun (oft overlooked) city; whoever said Milwaukee and Madison are nothing to see: I couldn't disagree more, especially regarding Madison, although I do think there are several ways Madison outshines Mke, which I think disadvantages Mke. Providence is okay, but I think it's the weakest of these three, and I never thought it was a huge draw when I lived in Boston.
The couple i spoke to raved about Madison But were very cool on Milwaukee.Thats was disappointing for me because want to visit MIlwaukee because I too feel its overlooked.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
I think you missed alot of downtown bmore, judging form our post
Charm City for sure--but Howard St is so sad. The downtown shopping scene in US cities is pretty well gone everywhere (and COVID may finish it off) but Howard St is a ghost of its 1950s self.

In the Hartbeat of Connecticut -- for example -- here's Main Street Hartford now--with no stores and no shoppers. Not empty and abandoned like Howard St Baltimore but dead all the same. Here's the scene from the same vantage point back in 1972. The Sage-Allen department store is across the street next to shoe stores and other stores, the G. Fox dept store is out of view to the left, the sidewalks full of shoppers. Baltimore, Milwaukee, Providence same story, department stores all out of business and closed, shoe stores gone, record stores obsolete, and along with that, the sidewalks empty of shoppers. People go downtown to work, dine out, see a show, museum, but that big city retail magic is gone.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I see what your saying but I like that downtown Baltimore has tons of just regular rowhomes, street level commerce, grit and pretty architecture. The harbor areas are nicer and more pleasurable b it downtown Bmore is kind of big and it’s really interesting to look at an architecturally /socially it’s cool. Very accessible and lived in-in that sense it’s classical. It’s fairly mixed use and a fairly good cross section of different socioeconomic classes. Although there is much of downtown Bmore that just offices.

Just wondering if any Milwaukee shots would be that eye catching. I can’t find any on street view an Eneans pics definitely aren’t it. Although they were nice
Milwaukee does have some great shots with some stocky, but still large older buildings like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0398...7i16384!8i8192

It does a good job with its river:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0406...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0386...7i16384!8i8192

I think what it needs is a bit more infill of its surface parking lots, an expanded transit system so people can still get in without needing parking, and taking down I-794 to make it more of a surface road and connecting downtown with the adjacent Historic Third Ward:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0336...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
The couple i spoke to raved about Madison But were very cool on Milwaukee.Thats was disappointing for me because want to visit MIlwaukee because I too feel its overlooked.
There is a bias against Milwaukee in the state. Many don't know the city...weird, that. The east side of Milwaukee, is, basically, stunning n its urbanity and cool factor...lots of beauty, as well, and lots and lots of homes over a million dollars. I ran into a man from New Jersey about a year, or so ago, on a Sunday in downtown. He said he couldn't believe how cool the downtown area was...he was by the river. I told him, yes, people who haven't been to Milwaukee, don't have a clue. He agreed.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Milwaukee does have some great shots with some stocky, but still large older buildings like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0398...7i16384!8i8192

It does a good job with its river:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0406...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0386...7i16384!8i8192

I think what it needs is a bit more infill of its surface parking lots, an expanded transit system so people can still get in without needing parking, and taking down I-794 to make it more of a surface road and connecting downtown with the adjacent Historic Third Ward:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0336...7i16384!8i8192
That River is nice. It looks kind of like Baltimroe just a bit cleaner and less ornate buildings generally. It’s nice overall. Skyline is bad though

Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
That River is nice. It looks kind of like Baltimroe just a bit cleaner and less ornate buildings generally. It’s nice overall. Skyline is bad though

You aren't looking at the entirety..as I mentioned...very tall condos along the lake, that flow into downtown. But whatever. Milwaukee is a small city....did you know that? And, for a small city, it's tallest are taller than those in Baltimore and Providence.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Im genuinely surprised Providence is in third...

Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You aren't looking at the entirety..as I mentioned...very tall condos along the lake, that flow into downtown. But whatever. Milwaukee is a small city....did you know that? And, for a small city, it's tallest are taller than those in Baltimore and Providence.
How is Milwaukee small though? 592k people and 96square miles.

Smallish MSA but not a small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City