Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I lived in Baltimore 6 years, and have been to Providence, Fall River, New Bedford etc. Baltimore alone has a GDP of $205 billion. Providence is $87 billion in GDP. The better question is where on Earth would you begin to think it's not Baltimore a landslide? Baltimore is a major city aligned with peer cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Charlotte. Providence is more aligned with places like Wilmington, DE or maybe Richmond, VA.
Baltimore has a higher crime rate, lower gdp per capita, worse schools, significantly less polished and gentrified, less diverse, farther from beaches/mountains, etc... I see it if Providence was a 10, Baltimore would be a 6 and Milwaukee would be a 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never seen a rat or dirty alley in Providence-that stuff matters.
When I lived in Federal Hill (Providence), I saw rats every single day. Rats the size of squirrels. They were all over the neighborhood.

But, for the most part, you're not wrong. I've lived in several areas of Providence and rats were never an issue other than in Federal Hill.

That said, not too long ago I read that there were rats in the classrooms at some of the Providence public schools.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Baltimore has a higher crime rate, lower gdp per capita, worse schools, significantly less polished and gentrified, less diverse, farther from beaches/mountains, etc... I see it if Providence was a 10, Baltimore would be a 6 and Milwaukee would be a 5.
Baltimore still has the better downtown, better food scene, better urban neighborhoods, more attractions in the city proper. Baltimore sits upon the Chesapeake Bay, and has a harbor of it's own. The beaches are in range. The mountains are less than two hours either in PA or Western, MD. Per capita GDP is brought down by urban blight in West Bmore. Overall Baltimore is a more prosperous metro with it's own subway and light rail transit, with probably the best medical school in the country. Providence has an Ivy league school, but Brown is much smaller and has a smaller endowment overall. Separate from Hopkins, Baltimore headquarters of the Univ of MD medical system. Baltimore and Maryland is the lacrosse capital of the country and has two major sports teams. Baltimore proper alone housed almost 1 million people in it's history. Baltimore simply is on another tier than Providence, crime withstanding.

Milwaukee puts up a better fight, but Baltimore is still a tier up from MKE.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Exactly. Given the original post (and overall criteria of judging cities), in no way does Baltimore run away with this.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Baltimore still has the better downtown, better food scene, better urban neighborhoods, more attractions in the city proper. Baltimore sits upon the Chesapeake Bay, and has a harbor of it's own. The beaches are in range. The mountains are less than two hours either in PA or Western, MD. Per capita GDP is brought down by urban blight in West Bmore. Overall Baltimore is a more prosperous metro with it's own subway and light rail transit, with probably the best medical school in the country. Providence has an Ivy league school, but Brown is much smaller and has a smaller endowment overall. Separate from Hopkins, Baltimore headquarters of the Univ of MD medical system. Baltimore and Maryland is the lacrosse capital of the country and has two major sports teams. Baltimore proper alone housed almost 1 million people in it's history. Baltimore simply is on another tier than Providence, crime withstanding.

LOL no it does not. I much rather eat on Federal Hill and go to local bars and restaurants than in Baltimore. Providence has one of the best small city downtowns of any city in America. Baltimore is great.. but better than Providence? Very few cities in the category can top PVD.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because I was already in PG so it was an easy affordable move in state. As I said I like Baltimore and I like Providence. Didn’t say it was better.

Although I definitely considered a move to Providence when my son was born. To be closer to family, and it’d be a lateral move IMO.

Baltimore is bigger and warmer. And I can handle high crime environments. I don’t know if I would have lived here had I already had a child.

Resident, within the first 3 months of living in Baltimore two people were killed within 1000 ft of my home. One on my street and my wife LITERALLY saw him bleed out. Leverton Street 2018 look it up. She saw it from our back porch/balcony

Detectives came to my house asks questions twice. Multiple times homeless folks have camped out on y steps. Last night we watched video in a Facebook group of one of our neighbors getting jumped by6 kids. At 230 pm. We see these videos literally every single day.
Unfortunate that you had to experience that, and no one denies the crime/ socioeconomic issues there. But that said, the cache or standing of where greater Baltimore stands, would have to drop even further for Providence or Milwaukee to catch it IMO.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
LOL no it does not. I much rather eat on Federal Hill and go to local bars and restaurants than in Baltimore. Providence has one of the best small city downtowns of any city in America. Baltimore is great.. but better than Providence? Very few cities in the category can top PVD.
Subjective.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:25 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:

It’s honestly and insult to Syracuse and the Seneca to call Baltimore that Capital of Lacrosse.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:26 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
When I lived in Federal Hill (Providence), I saw rats every single day. Rats the size of squirrels. They were all over the neighborhood.

But, for the most part, you're not wrong. I've lived in several areas of Providence and rats were never an issue other than in Federal Hill.

That said, not too long ago I read that there were rats in the classrooms at some of the Providence public schools.
This whole point is kind of silly. There are basically rats in every city in this country, including all three of these in the polls. Just because you don't see them, that doesn't mean they're not there...

I remember when I lived in Back Bay in Boston and I had a rat the size of a small terrier accompany me for nearly 10 minutes on my walk home. What a gentleman that one was.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:

Yea Baltimore has some upside of course. The blight is not just West Baltimore. We all know that. Plenty blight in East, Northeast, South, Southwest andNorthwest Baltimroe

The Inner Harbor flat out sucks. Harbor East Canton and Fells are much better.

Baltimore has better urban neighborhoods but many more worse urban neighborhoods.

Beaches and mountains are closer to Providence. Baltimore is a more prosperous metro. Brown is much better integrated into the neighborhood and more prestigious than Hopkins. Baltimroe has a “subway” it one line headed to the Northwest thru a bunch of low economic activity areas before it hits downtown or Owings Mills.

Lacrosse is irrelevant.

Providence has the Patriots which is a franchise of the highest order.

It’s just never gonna be a “landslide” even if Bmore is better because Providence one of the beat small cities in the US.

I’m not so far as Massachoicesetts-id rather eat in Bmore than Providence. And I would nolever say if Prov is a 1-0 Baltimore is a 6. But Providence is good in that regard. Nightlife might even feel safer/better in Prov. When I used to go out there it certainly felt alive and fun. Safe but not sterile or bland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City