Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People don’t even know about Milwaukee to dislike it or feel superior to it.

People actively dislike Baltimore.
Most of what I know about Baltimore, living in the Midwest, isn't good. Plenty of eople do know about Milwaukee, if they're interested in cities beyond their own region. Seems like NEasternerers might be somewhat uninformed of cities that might not be top cities. It's not a good look, for anyone not to look beyond their noses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:12 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Most of what I know about Baltimore, living in the Midwest, isn't good. Plenty of eople do know about Milwaukee, if they're interested in cities beyond their own region. Seems like NEasternerers might be somewhat uninformed of cities that might not be top cities. It's not a good look, for anyone not to look beyond their noses.
Yea well.. Oh well. One has to go way out of their way to know about Milwaukee.

Never even heard the word Milwaukee said in real life not on a sports broadcast. I don’t know anyone from Milwaukee it any Milwaukee quirks. Don’t know any famous people from Milwaukee..I know and have herd more about Kansas City Minneapolis Cleveland Cincinnati Detroit Chicago St Louis....

You have this like deep seated dislike of the northeast and northeasterners can’t help but find kind of amusing. It comes out irrationally yet reliably whenever some Midwest city near Chicago is broughtup. No provocation. What happened to you dude? Did you/Chicago get dumped on in some other thread? Inquiring minds would like to know

Old 05-12-2020, 02:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Here's the thing, Milwaukee and Chicago are continuous. Their suburbs touch. You can live closer to Milwaukee, and be in the Chicago MSA. Chicago has swallowed up part of Milwaukee's MSA. People like to talk about the cities being 90 miles apart...that's city center to city center. Unless one needs to start and end at city center, chances are, your destination is a lot closer, than that. Also, there are 8 and soon will be 10, trains that run daily between the two cities. The two cities aren't dependent on each other, but they will, some day, be a part of the same CSA. Many people I know in Milwaukee work in the Chicago suburbs, and I know Chicagoans who have condos in Milwaukee, and spend the week-end there.

The person who thought Baltimore had more bars in one section, than the entire city of Milwaukee needs to rethink that. Clearly, they aren't at all familiar with Milwaukee.
While Providence is closer to Boston than Milwaukee is to Chicago, you are correct, Chicago and Milwaukee definitely have MSA overlap, and the more SE Wisconsin grows, the more this connection is likely to continue. Great America, which is seen as a theme park serving the Chicago metro, is actually closer to many parts of Milwaukee than many parts of metro Chicago, and ultimately serves both metros. Cubs fans routinely have mass migration trips up to Milwaukee to see Cubs/Brewers games at Miller Park. The two metros definitely have an exchange of folks living and/or working in each city and commuting to the other regularly. And yes, living in Milwaukee, it's definitely a benefit to be about an hour/half away from Chicago (the city), and much less than that for the north/northwest suburbs, with train service as an option.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Never even heard the word Milwaukee said in real life not on a sports broadcast. I don’t know anyone from Milwaukee it any Milwaukee quirks. Don’t know any famous people from Milwaukee..I know and have herd more about Kansas City Minneapolis Cleveland Cincinnati Detroit Chicago St Louis....

You have this like deep seated dislike of the northeast and northeasterners can’t help but find kind of amusing. It comes out irrationally yet reliably whenever some Midwest city near Chicago is broughtup. No provocation. What happened to you dude? Did you/Chicago get dumped on in some other thread? Inquiring minds would like to know
I don't have a dislike for northeasterners at all, but am amused, as are you, I guess. Milwaukee isn't a major city, but it's big enough one should know something. Not my shortfall, though.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
I still don't know why Providence is included in this comparison. The city of Providence is MUCH smaller than Milwaukee and Baltimore. If you want to compare the latter two, have at it. BTW, I would take Milwaukee over Baltimore, too, mostly because many of its neighborhoods are fairly pleasant, with tree-lined streets with bungalows and small, manicured lawns. Baltimore? Well... that's another story..

Old 05-12-2020, 02:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Seems like NEasternerers might be somewhat uninformed of cities that might not be top cities. It's not a good look, for anyone not to look beyond their noses.
Didn’t you just admit to not knowing much about PVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I still don't know why Providence is included in this comparison. The city of Providence is MUCH smaller than Milwaukee and Baltimore.
No it’s not. It’s about the same size as Milwaukee and both are about half the size of Baltimore.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:34 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:

In terms of name recognition in this thread, Milwaukee is way more known than Providence. It would go Baltimore > Milwaukee > Providence, quite easily. In fact, had I not known someone who moved to Rhode Island and currently works there, I'd barely ever think about it.

At least I could be able to associate Milwaukee with beer (Schlitz, Miller Brewing Company, Pabst, and more) as well as the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers. Milwaukee is also well known for being perhaps the biggest German enclave city in the U.S. With that, it's also known for Brats, beer, and frozen custard. I honestly couldn't point to anything to associate Providence with. Just another, small NE city? I really don't know anything about it.

Last edited by CCrest182; 05-12-2020 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
In terms of name recognition in this thread, Milwaukee is way more known than Providence. It would go Baltimore > Milwaukee > Providence, quite easily. In fact, had I not known someone who moved to Rhode Island and currently works there, I'd barely ever think about it.

At least I could be able to associate Milwaukee with beer (Schlitz, Miller Brewing Company, Pabst, and more) as well as the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers. I honestly couldn't point to anything to associate Providence with. Just another, small NE city? I really don't know anything about it.
Harley Davidson is a big Milwaukee name, as well.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Didn’t you just admit to not knowing much about PVD?

No it’s not. It’s about the same size as Milwaukee and both are about half the size of Baltimore.
I did admit that. Providence doesn't have sport teams, or a name associated with it, that one would attach to it. Brown University...that's it.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:45 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
In Baltimore the rats hang out on the sidewalk wrestle, shoot dice, smoke cigarettes and sell drugs in broad daylight.

No it in all seri users if your own mayor is walking around the neighborhood and gets caught on camera saying “ I can smell the rats, they need to knock this whole s**t down” you might have a problem. Way more rats evident to the naked eye in Baltimore than anywhere I’ve ever been in the US. Just my experience. I saw lots of rats in front of Union Station in DC but that’s it. I’ve heard of the problem but doesn’t seem as bad as Baltimore.
https://www.automatictrap.com/blogs/...ies-in-america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City