Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2023, 11:36 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'd say Boise is more similar to Tulsa based on overall size and the fact that it's a main hub. Quad Cities are as there name would imply four separate cities which is unlike Boise.

Is Charleston SC more similar to Alexandria VA or Tampa FL?
Tough one. I'd say Tampa. IT's a little more laid back and both are influenced by the ocean.

Is Columbus more similar to Cleveland or Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 05:34 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Tough one. I'd say Tampa. IT's a little more laid back and both are influenced by the ocean.

Is Columbus more similar to Cleveland or Cincinnati?
Lean to Cleveland. Both cities I think are more educated or at least more known for education (An Ohio State University* vs. Case Western/Kent). Both have a more similar grid-based urban fabric on flat terrain, vs. Cincinnati's more Appalachian-style layout --- hilly, disconnected neighborhoods, rowhouses, more trees.

East vs. west. Is Wichita, KS more similar to Sacramento or Philadelphia?

*sorry, as a Miami of Ohio guy I cannot let them have this one

Old 03-09-2023, 10:16 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Lean to Cleveland. Both cities I think are more educated or at least more known for education (An Ohio State University* vs. Case Western/Kent). Both have a more similar grid-based urban fabric on flat terrain, vs. Cincinnati's more Appalachian-style layout --- hilly, disconnected neighborhoods, rowhouses, more trees.

East vs. west. Is Wichita, KS more similar to Sacramento or Philadelphia?

*sorry, as a Miami of Ohio guy I cannot let them have this one
I'd say that's a stretch in both directions.

But it's more of a stretch, IMO, to pair Wichita with Philadelphia than with Sacramento.

Like many cities and towns west of the Mississippi, Wichita has wider streets than Philadelphia does and a lower-rise skyline to boot. ISTR that Sacramento's skyline doesn't rise all that high, either, perhaps out of deference to the California state Capitol building. The Sacramento suburb of Davis is home to "Cal Aggie," the University of California's agricultural campus, and Wichita has stronger ties to the farmland surrounding it than Philadelphia does to the farmlands of Lancaster County or the cranberry bogs and farms of southern New Jersey.

BTW, nice dig at OSU's presumptuousness. I wonder what they think of that at Ohio University?

But now that you've done a rather stretchy comparison, I'm going to go one further:

Is Kansas City more like New York or more like Los Angeles?

Old 03-12-2023, 10:52 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Los Angeles. When I visited in 2019, I noticed a CA plate at my hotel, plus Amtrak has a line at Union Station that goes all the way there. Like LA, it has a freeway loop around its downtown (LA's is wider, but justifies itself for being a larger city), and it has narrow rivers close to its core compared to the numerous bodies of water from NYC. Street numbers also increase from north to south unlike Manhattan, and Main Street is the east-west divider in street addresses in both KCMO and LA. Johnson County is sort of like KC's version of the Inland Empire. Country Club Plaza is sort of a junior version of Beverly Hills as well. The biggest similarities to NYC are probably climate and vegetation, and I find that NYC has much more of a unique brand.

Is Jacksonville more similar to Baltimore or San Diego?

Old 03-13-2023, 10:00 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Los Angeles. When I visited in 2019, I noticed a CA plate at my hotel, plus Amtrak has a line at Union Station that goes all the way there. Like LA, it has a freeway loop around its downtown (LA's is wider, but justifies itself for being a larger city), and it has narrow rivers close to its core compared to the numerous bodies of water from NYC. Street numbers also increase from north to south unlike Manhattan, and Main Street is the east-west divider in street addresses in both KCMO and LA. Johnson County is sort of like KC's version of the Inland Empire. Country Club Plaza is sort of a junior version of Beverly Hills as well. The biggest similarities to NYC are probably climate and vegetation, and I find that NYC has much more of a unique brand.

Is Jacksonville more similar to Baltimore or San Diego?
I'll say Jacksonville is more similar to San Diego. Warmer climate and more sunbelt development.

Is Pittsburgh PA more similar to Asheville NC or Phoenix AZ?

Old 03-13-2023, 12:12 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'll say Jacksonville is more similar to San Diego. Warmer climate and more sunbelt development.

Is Pittsburgh PA more similar to Asheville NC or Phoenix AZ?
Asheville. Both are compact, hilly, forest cover, weather is more similar though not identical.

Birmingham is more similar to Ann Arbor or Philly?

Old 03-14-2023, 07:37 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Asheville. Both are compact, hilly, forest cover, weather is more similar though not identical.

Birmingham is more similar to Ann Arbor or Philly?
Ann Arbor based on size and infrastructure. Both have significant histories, decent higher education, and access to several waterways. Both can be provincial, especially in their wealthier areas. Both play second fiddle to their regional counterparts (Detroit and Atlanta). Education and healthcare are critical to both economies.

Is Nashville, TN more similar to Minneapolis, MN or Orlando, FL?

Old 07-21-2023, 03:49 PM

613 posts, read 327,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Ann Arbor based on size and infrastructure. Both have significant histories, decent higher education, and access to several waterways. Both can be provincial, especially in their wealthier areas. Both play second fiddle to their regional counterparts (Detroit and Atlanta). Education and healthcare are critical to both economies.

Is Nashville, TN more similar to Minneapolis, MN or Orlando, FL?
Orlando. Sun Belt, touristy, country music loved in each city, SEC territory

Is Miami more similar to Houston or San Diego

Old 07-22-2023, 06:35 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
I'll go out on a limb and say Houston here. Both are in high impact zones for tropical systems, have lots of thunderstorms, humid, flat, have a big corporate presence with less of a defense/government sector, have most major league sports teams, high black population, and are known for megamalls.

Here's an inner suburban vs. urban/outer suburban comparison: Is Irvington, NJ more similar to Jersey City or Morristown, NJ?

Old 07-22-2023, 08:56 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say Houston here. Both are in high impact zones for tropical systems, have lots of thunderstorms, humid, flat, have a big corporate presence with less of a defense/government sector, have most major league sports teams, high black population, and are known for megamalls.

Here's an inner suburban vs. urban/outer suburban comparison: Is Irvington, NJ more similar to Jersey City or Morristown, NJ?
Hmmm. I'd say it's a blend of the two, combining JC's demographics (sort of; JC's more polyglot) with Morristown's built form (sort of).

I'm going to lean towards the built form, for Jersey City is clearly more urban than Morristown thanks both to the density of its residential neighborhoods and districts like Newport and Journal Square (though downtown Morristown does come close to the latter). Slight edge to Morristown.

Now for some disinvested cities:

Is East St. Louis, Ill., more like Gary, Ind., or Camden, N.J.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City