Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 02:11 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Is Danville VA more similar to Danville ILL or Danville CA?
Danville, IL. Unlike Danville, CA, both Danville, VA and Danville, IL have been losing residents. Also, Danville, CA is an obvious suburb, unlike the other two.

Is Danville, IL more similar to Davenport, IA or Evansville, IN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 07:32 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Danville, IL. Unlike Danville, CA, both Danville, VA and Danville, IL have been losing residents. Also, Danville, CA is an obvious suburb, unlike the other two.

Is Danville, IL more similar to Davenport, IA or Evansville, IN?
I said Evansville based on the fact that they're closer in size. Is St. Petersburg FL more similar to Virginia Beach or Corpus Christi TX?

Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Is St. Petersburg FL more similar to Virginia Beach or Corpus Christi TX?
Virginia Beach. They have St. Petersburg has a climate closer to Virginia Beach. Also, both St. Petersburg and Virginia beach get overshadowed by Tampa and Norfolk, respectively (even though Virginia Beach is larger than Norfolk).

Is Virginia Beach, VA more similar to Raleigh, NC or Washington, DC?

Old 12-13-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Virginia Beach. They have St. Petersburg has a climate closer to Virginia Beach. Also, both St. Petersburg and Virginia beach get overshadowed by Tampa and Norfolk, respectively (even though Virginia Beach is larger than Norfolk).

Is Virginia Beach, VA more similar to Raleigh, NC or Washington, DC?
I said Raleigh. Neither of them are as dense as Washington. Which is more similar to Galveston, TX; Santa Monica CA or Daphne AL?

Old 12-13-2020, 10:46 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
I said Raleigh. Neither of them are as dense as Washington. Which is more similar to Galveston, TX; Santa Monica CA or Daphne AL?
Santa Monica. Galveston is bigger, more urbane and more beach-oriented than Daphne appears to be, and it has more of a tourist economy, which Daphne seems to lack but Santa Monica does have. I don't see an equivalent of either the Strand or the Santa Monica Pier in Daphne.

Which is more like Pittsburgh: Birmingham, Ala., or Baltimore, Md.?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Santa Monica. Galveston is bigger, more urbane and more beach-oriented than Daphne appears to be, and it has more of a tourist economy, which Daphne seems to lack but Santa Monica does have. I don't see an equivalent of either the Strand or the Santa Monica Pier in Daphne.

Which is more like Pittsburgh: Birmingham, Ala., or Baltimore, Md.?
I'd say Birmingham because of their shared history with the steel Mills. Which is more similar to Jacksonville FL; Louisville or Nashville?

Old 12-14-2020, 08:32 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
I'd say Louisville, since both are seen as relatively under-the-radar southern metros that have a somewhat more similar downtown setup, don't have much of a country music industry, and don't have too many transplants. But Jacksonville doesn't remind me of either that much, other than the poor transit for a metro its size.

I'll have the disagree on Brock's opinion. Baltimore did have the largest steel mill in the country in Sparrows Point, and the two cities share a lot of things in common with each other (rowhouses, more similar accents, NFL rivalry, more prominent bodies of water, tunnels, a prominent university) than Pittsburgh does with Birmingham, other then its topography.

Is Detroit more similar to St. Louis or Toronto?

Old 12-14-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post

Is Detroit more similar to St. Louis or Toronto?
St. Louis. They are both obviously in the United States, and Toronto never experienced much population decline as St. Louis. Furthermore, Toronto has very few African-Americans, especially compared to St. Louis and Detroit.

Is St. Louis, MO more similar to Louisville, KY or Milwaukee, WI?

Old 12-14-2020, 10:29 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
St. Louis. They are both obviously in the United States, and Toronto never experienced much population decline as St. Louis. Furthermore, Toronto has very few African-Americans, especially compared to St. Louis and Detroit.

Is St. Louis, MO more similar to Louisville, KY or Milwaukee, WI?
I'd say Milwaukee due to their sizes, both in the Midwest, and both having large breweries.

Is Miami more similar to Atlanta or Houston?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'd say Milwaukee due to their sizes, both in the Midwest, and both having large breweries.

Is Miami more similar to Atlanta or Houston?
I'd say Houston. Both are more diverse than Atlanta and both are larger although not by a whole lot in Miami's case. Which is more similar to Lincoln NB; Lafayette LA or Tuscaloosa AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City