Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Oklahoma City. Both large farm towns, nicer people, growing faster, nicer suburbs, less run down areas.
You haven't been to the east side of Kansas City then. Yes, the infrastructure is somewhat more intact than St. Louis' Northside, but then there's Kansas City, KS which is sort of their equivalent of East St. Louis, IL, being in another state. They're both major river cities and have both MLB and another pro sport, whereas OKC has just one and is considerably more southern/conservative. I was in both KC and St. Louis this time last year, and work for an agency that also has a branch in OKC. OKC lacks the historic architecture in its core like the other two do as well, and isn't nearly as diverse, except for more indigenous people. And there are lots of farms to the east, north, and west of St. Louis as well. STL has its share of nice suburbs as well, whereas most of OKC's are bedroom communities.

Since the poster above had no ideas, I'll go with mine:

Is Tampa more similar to Jacksonville or Miami?

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 06-18-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:08 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
You haven't been to the east side of Kansas City then. Yes, the infrastructure is somewhat more intact than St. Louis' Northside, but then there's Kansas City, KS which is sort of their equivalent of East St. Louis, IL, being in another state. They're both major river cities and have both MLB another pro sport, whereas OKC has just one and is considerably more southern/conservative. I was in both KC and St. Louis this time last year, and work for an agency that also has a branch in OKC. OKC lacks the historic architecture in its core like the other two do as well, and isn't nearly as diverse, except for more indigenous people. And there are lots of farms to the east, north, and west of St. Louis as well. STL has its share of nice suburbs as well, whereas most of OKC's are bedroom communities.

Since the poster above had no ideas, I'll go with mine:

Is Tampa more similar to Jacksonville or Miami?
I would say Miami based on size and influence. Tampa is often underrated. The region has improved significantly in the past 20 years.

Is Tulsa more similar to Ft. Worth or St. Paul?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Fort Worth. Both are in the southern plains region and have similar cultures. Which is more similar to Anchorage AK; Victoria,BC or Spokane,WA?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:00 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Fort Worth. Both are in the southern plains region and have similar cultures. Which is more similar to Anchorage AK; Victoria,BC or Spokane,WA?
I haven't had any experience with any of these, but I'm going to say Spokane because both are in the U.S., Victoria is a lot smaller than the other two, and I think Anchorage and Spokane lean more conservative than average, whereas that's unlikely on the west coast of Canada.

Is Kalamazoo, MI more similar to Muncie, IN or Ithaca, NY?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Probably Muncie since they're both Midwestern. Which is more similar to Abilene, TX; Topeka, KS or Lawton, OK?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:18 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Probably Muncie since they're both Midwestern. Which is more similar to Abilene, TX; Topeka, KS or Lawton, OK?
Topeka based on size and influence. Abilene has the large air force base and serves a larger region than its population suggests. Culture is similar among all three, so this could go either way.

Is Knoxville more similar to Bloomington, IN or Charlottesville, VA?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Quote:
Lawton... I'd imagine that due to geographic proximity that the two cities are more culturally similar. Topeka is more midwestern while the other cities aren't.

Is Grand Junction, CO more similar to Flagstaff, AZ or St. George, UT?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Topeka based on size and influence. Abilene has the large air force base and serves a larger region than its population suggests. Culture is similar among all three, so this could go either way.

Is Knoxville more similar to Bloomington, IN or Charlottesville, VA?
Charlottesville.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Lawton... I'd imagine that due to geographic proximity that the two cities are more culturally similar. Topeka is more midwestern while the other cities aren't.

Is Grand Junction, CO more similar to Flagstaff, AZ or St. George, UT?
Flagstaff. Which is more similar to Farmington, NM; Cheyenne WY or Billings MT?

Old 06-18-2020, 03:35 PM

309 posts, read 307,535 times
Quote:
Denver. Is Tulsa more similar to Wichita KS or Springfield MO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Wichita, large cities in Plains states
I'm going Springfield. Tulsa isn't really "Plains-y" in the same ways OKC and Wichita are. Tulsa and Springfield both sit at or near Ozark foothills in a similar transition zone between the Midwest & South

Which is more similar to Chicago: Detroit or LA?

Last edited by 2000_Watts; 06-18-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City