Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 10:01 AM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times

Advertisements

Probably Reno. They're more similar in size. Which is more similar to Lincoln, NB; Topeka,KS or Sioux Falls,SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:43 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Probably Reno. They're more similar in size. Which is more similar to Lincoln, NB; Topeka,KS or Sioux Falls,SD?
I'll say Topeka for the simple fact that it's the capital of Kansas

Which city is more similar to Norfolk VA? Oakland CA or Tacoma WA?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:11 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'll say Topeka for the simple fact that it's the capital of Kansas

Which city is more similar to Norfolk VA? Oakland CA or Tacoma WA?
Neither are similar at all to Norfolk, but I'll guess Tacoma, because at least Tacoma is more green than Oakland.

Which is more similar to Houston? Vegas or Miami?

Old 06-13-2020, 12:10 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Neither are similar at all to Norfolk, but I'll guess Tacoma, because at least Tacoma is more green than Oakland.

Which is more similar to Houston? Vegas or Miami?
Really neither but if I had to pick I'd go with Miami.

Another one for Houston, is it more similar to Atlanta or Los Angeles?

Old 06-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Really neither but if I had to pick I'd go with Miami.

Another one for Houston, is it more similar to Atlanta or Los Angeles?
Atlanta all the way. Their MSAs are far closer in size, they are both humid subtropical climates, both are in states that are much more conservative than California, both have large black populations and hip hop culture, decent but smaller Asian populations compared to California. Both are rainy and lushly vegetated compared to the chaparral of LA. Both have Southern accents, soul food. Contrary to myth, LA is actually the densest urbanized area in the US, while Houston and Atlanta suburbs are more spread out than LA suburbs.

The only thing Atlanta has more in common with LA than Houston is the entertainment industry and MAYBE the hilly terrain, while Houston is flat and much more industrial. But it's a very different kind of hills.

Does New Orleans have more in common with Las Vegas in terms of both being infamous for their debauchery or does it have more in common with Houston for its weather?

I'm going to say Houston, because Las Vegas also seems flashier than NOLA.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:50 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Atlanta all the way. Their MSAs are far closer in size, they are both humid subtropical climates, both are in states that are much more conservative than California, both have large black populations and hip hop culture, decent but smaller Asian populations compared to California. Both are rainy and lushly vegetated compared to the chaparral of LA. Both have Southern accents, soul food. Contrary to myth, LA is actually the densest urbanized area in the US, while Houston and Atlanta suburbs are more spread out than LA suburbs.

The only thing Atlanta has more in common with LA than Houston is the entertainment industry and MAYBE the hilly terrain, while Houston is flat and much more industrial. But it's a very different kind of hills.

Does New Orleans have more in common with Las Vegas in terms of both being infamous for their debauchery or does it have more in common with Houston for its weather?

I'm going to say Houston, because Las Vegas also seems flashier than NOLA.
Houston due to proximity, industries, gulf coast culture etc.

Is Lexington, KY more similar to Louisville or Knoxville?

Old 06-13-2020, 03:32 PM

613 posts, read 327,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Houston due to proximity, industries, gulf coast culture etc.

Is Lexington, KY more similar to Louisville or Knoxville?
Louisville despite the Wildcats being in the SEC with UT. They are not in Appalachia proper like Knoxville and they share the same state as Louisville.

Is Bakersfield, California more similar to Los Angeles or does their historical Okie culture make it more similar to Oklahoma City?

Old 06-13-2020, 03:50 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
I'd say Oklahoma City because both cities have oil in common. Which is more similar to Billings, MT; Cheyenne, WY or Pocatello, ID?

Old 06-13-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'd say Oklahoma City because both cities have oil in common. Which is more similar to Billings, MT; Cheyenne, WY or Pocatello, ID?
Cheyenne. Pocatello is in the Mormon Corridor while the other two are less religious.

Does Oakland have more in common with Norfolk or Los Angeles?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:13 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Cheyenne. Pocatello is in the Mormon Corridor while the other two are less religious.

Does Oakland have more in common with Norfolk or Los Angeles?
Los Angeles. Cali swag, culture, arts, heavy gentrification, way more expensive to live.

Is Memphis more similar to Baltimore or Detroit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City