Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 11:42 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times

Advertisements

I'd say Louisville is more similar to Grand Rapids. Closer in distance and similar metro population.

Is Laredo, Texas more similar to Houston or Monterrey, Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 AM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'd say Louisville is more similar to Grand Rapids. Closer in distance and similar metro population.

Is Laredo, Texas more similar to Houston or Monterrey, Mexico?
Houston, because they share the same state

Is San Diego more like a bigger Daytona Beach, FL or a West Coast version of Denver, CO?

Old 06-27-2020, 07:35 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Houston, because they share the same state

Is San Diego more like a bigger Daytona Beach, FL or a West Coast version of Denver, CO?
Denver for sure... similar metro sizes, similar racial demographics, they boast low/moderate crime rates and strong local economies, and both are considered two of the most attractive major cities in the entire USA.

Is Rochester, MN more similar to Rochester Hills, MI or Rochester, NY?

Old 06-27-2020, 09:00 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Denver for sure... similar metro sizes, similar racial demographics, they boast low/moderate crime rates and strong local economies, and both are considered two of the most attractive major cities in the entire USA.

Is Rochester, MN more similar to Rochester Hills, MI or Rochester, NY?
Even though it’s a lot smaller I’ll say it’s more similar to Rochester NY since they are both core cities. Rochester Hills is just an affluent suburb of Detroit.

Is Grand Rapids more similar to Greenville SC, or Ashville NC?

Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Even though it’s a lot smaller I’ll say it’s more similar to Rochester NY since they are both core cities. Rochester Hills is just an affluent suburb of Detroit.

Is Grand Rapids more similar to Greenville SC, or Ashville NC?
Greenville. The downtowns are more comparable. Both have taken advantage of water features and have nicer museums.

Is Jackson, MS more similar to Tallahassee or Little Rock?

Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Greenville. The downtowns are more comparable. Both have taken advantage of water features and have nicer museums.

Is Jackson, MS more similar to Tallahassee or Little Rock?
Little Rock; Tallahassee is smaller than either of the other two and has a little less history attached to it.

Boy, this game sure took off! And I did a search for my hometown; I'd say most people got the parallels right, though Kansas City, Kan., is nowhere near as destitute as East St. Louis, Ill.

But: which is more like Kansas City, Minneapolis or Fort Worth? (There are superficial reasons to pick either of these.)

Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 AM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Little Rock; Tallahassee is smaller than either of the other two and has a little less history attached to it.

Boy, this game sure took off! And I did a search for my hometown; I'd say most people got the parallels right, though Kansas City, Kan., is nowhere near as destitute as East St. Louis, Ill.

But: which is more like Kansas City, Minneapolis or Fort Worth? (There are superficial reasons to pick either of these.)
Fort Worth. Both are beef eating, football loving cities

Is Springfield, MA more similar to Springfield, MO or Springfield, IL or Springfield, OH?

Old 06-27-2020, 11:18 AM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
I know that Springfield MO is the largest of the 3 but Springfield, OH is probably the most similar culturally so I chose Springfield OH. Which is more similar to Billings MT; Cheyenne WY or Idaho Falls ID?

Old 06-27-2020, 11:29 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Fort Worth. Both are beef eating, football loving cities

Is Springfield, MA more similar to Springfield, MO or Springfield, IL or Springfield, OH?
Just to jump in on the ties that support a KC-Minneaoplis similarity:

Minneapolis is the nation's leading grain milling and processing center. Kansas City ranks 2d.

Both take great pride in their many parks; most of Minneapolis's have lakes in them while most of KC's don't.

And the team the Kansas City Chiefs beat to win their first Super Bowl title in the fourth matchup in 1970 was the Minnesota Vikings.

Now where were we?

Which is more like Billings, Mont.: Cheyenne, Wyo., or Idaho Falls, Idaho?

Old 06-30-2020, 03:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just to jump in on the ties that support a KC-Minneaoplis similarity:

Minneapolis is the nation's leading grain milling and processing center. Kansas City ranks 2d.

Both take great pride in their many parks; most of Minneapolis's have lakes in them while most of KC's don't.

And the team the Kansas City Chiefs beat to win their first Super Bowl title in the fourth matchup in 1970 was the Minnesota Vikings.

Now where were we?

Which is more like Billings, Mont.: Cheyenne, Wyo., or Idaho Falls, Idaho?
I'm gonna say Idaho Falls is more like Billings because both are more isolated. Cheyenne is pretty much an extension of the high population centers of North Central Colorado. If it's not already officially a part of the Denver Metro, I bet it will be before too many more years go by.

Is Laredo, Texas more similar to Buffalo, New York, or Monterrey, Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City