Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 03:54 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I will simply note that, culturally and attitudinally speaking, I sensed I was no longer on the East Coast when I spent the night in the Pittsburgh suburb of Green Tree after helping a friend move there from Philadelphia.

And I would characterize the behavior of the people I ran across during my brief stay there, like the municipal employee who called out "Hello" to me from some distance as he was mowing a lawn in front of the municipal buildings while I was walking along the sidewalk to the nearest Starbucks, as more characteristic of Midwesterners than East Coast denizens. Sheesh, I'm about 45 years resident in the Northeast, and some people tell me I still have Midwestern attitudes and ways of dealing with people.

But I will also stipulate that Pittsburgh is not in the Midwest. Rather, it's the biggest city in Appalachia.
Yeah, you will also feel quite removed from the East Coast from most of Steuben County all the way to Erie County, NY. The Appalachian and Great Lakes culture is in fact something that connects New York to Pennsylvania. The two states are quite similar in cultural makeup, albeit with different portions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 04:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
However, there are lots of nuances that differentiate places like Upstate NY and rural PA from the actual Midwest if you actually get into the "nitty gritty"--aspects such as architecture, accents, industry types, religious identity, topography, history, and ethnic identity to name a few.
Those who call western New York and western Pennsylvania "Midwestern" are the same people who pop off about "Alabama in between" with zero nuance whatsoever. Simple minds hate nuance.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:24 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Those who call western New York and western Pennsylvania "Midwestern" are the same people who pop off about "Alabama in between" with zero nuance whatsoever. Simple minds hate nuance.
Very true. In many cases, it's also willful ignorance on behalf of many Americans to understand their own country. I love living on the East Coast, but the "bi-coastal bubble" is sadly very real.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:00 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The Pop/Soda line runs through Monroe and Livingston County. That is the official Midwest/Northeast Border. I will be accepting 0 challenges to this official designation ,

Old 08-12-2022, 07:25 AM

913 posts, read 559,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Pop/Soda line runs through Monroe and Livingston County. That is the official Midwest/Northeast Border. I will be accepting 0 challenges to this official designation ,
Visual: https://popvssoda.com/

Old 08-12-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Lol. Actually, I grew up right along that border, and thinking back, the term "pop" was more favorable in the 90s into early 00s, but by the time I was in high school, I am pretty sure most people were saying soda. I rarely say it, but mom and dad still slip a "pop" more than occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Yeah, I think the "pop" line used to go a bit farther east, at least in New York State. But now-a-days with social media and the slow dissolution of regional dialects, I think young people in most of those "pop" areas are more likely to say "soda."

Old 08-13-2022, 01:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
I guess that settles it, then. St. Louis and Milwaukee are Northeastern cities.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:16 PM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
New York is nothing like Pennsylvania. As far as I’m concerned, New York is a cross between Michigan and western New England. Unfortunately, people in the Northeast are very unfamiliar with Michigan and, therefore, could never draw comparisons between Michigan and New York.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
New York is nothing like Pennsylvania. As far as I’m concerned, New York is a cross between Michigan and western New England. Unfortunately, people in the Northeast are very unfamiliar with Michigan and, therefore, could never draw comparisons between Michigan and New York.
Sorry, but that makes you sound unfamiliar with both NYC and Philadelphia, and New York State pretty much anywhere northwest of the Catskills. In NYS, have you been to Binghamton, Syracuse, or Jamestown? How about Scranton, Williamsport, or Erie in PA? Or, have you visited most rural counties in both NY and PA? I have, and can assure you the majority of NYS rural counties are far more similar to PA than they are Western New England.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:18 AM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Sorry, but that makes you sound unfamiliar with both NYC and Philadelphia, and New York State pretty much anywhere northwest of the Catskills. In NYS, have you been to Binghamton, Syracuse, or Jamestown? How about Scranton, Williamsport, or Erie in PA? Or, have you visited most rural counties in both NY and PA? I have, and can assure you the majority of NYS rural counties are far more similar to PA than they are Western New England.
New York City covers an exceptionally small geographic area within New York State. The vast majority of geography in New York State, especially in the central, northern and western regions of the state, is reminiscent of Michigan and/or western New England.

Pennsylvania was initially settled and developed by an entirely different group of people than the states along the northern tier of the United States. Accordingly, the architecture, culture and patterns of community settlement and development are different in Pennsylvania, relative to Vermont, New York, Michigan, etc. For example, stone and Tudor-style houses are much more common in Pennsylvania than the states further north.

After New England Yankees exhausted all arable farmland in the core New England states, they began migrating westward. First, they settled throughout New York State. Then, one generation later, they fanned out across the Upper Midwest. That is the reason why people in Vermont and western Massachusetts have similar accents to people in Upstate New York and the Upper Midwest.

And of course, Long Island is part of the Outer Lands archipelagic region, which also includes Cape Cod and the nearby islands (i.e., Block Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket). Those land formations form a cultural region with their own identity that is distinct from nearby New England and New York City, never mind far-away Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City