Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 06:52 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
How is NYC more similar to Boston than Philadelphia? Also, I was just in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, NY, and it could easily be thrown onto the Main Line and fit right in. Not that there isn't a connection to Connecticut (the prevailing single family home architectural style is certainly more similar to Connecticut), but much of Westchester is not too different from our affluent suburban areas.
NYC and Boston are noticeably more affluent, more international populace, much safer, Atlantic Ocean access, more powerful economies, more walk up apartments, it’s easily debatable but the post overall between NYC being more similar to Boston or Philly. is the most accurate one here- I didn’t say it was perfect.

But yea naw Westchester and most of Easteen/downstate is more like New England than anywhere in PA I don’t find that to be all that debatable. Historically/culturally and the vibe in general is very very familiar to me. Many New York schools in that area compete in the NEPSAC (New England Private School Athletic Association) or NESCAC (New England Small Colleges Athletic Conference). In fact my private school in Noston played Rye Country Day for New England football championships when my brother played. Orange County/Nyack gives me a lot of Connecticut vibe. Albany absolutely feels like Western Massachusetts.

Glen Falls is the most New England place I’ve been o it side of New England. While I’m sure the majority of the land Mass in NY is more like PA. I’m thinking places like( Elmira) I’ve just never been to western NY. I’ve been to Philly and it’s burbs, York and Pittsburgh in PA, that’s it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 07:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NYC and Boston are noticeably more affluent, more international populace, much safer, Atlantic Ocean access, more powerful economies, more walk up apartments, it’s easily debatable but the post overall between NYC being more similar to Boston or Philly. is the most accurate one here- I didn’t say it was perfect.

But yea naw Westchester and most of Easteen/downstate is more like New England than anywhere in PA I don’t find that to be all that debatable. Historically/culturally and the vibe in general is very very familiar to me. Many New York schools in that area compete in the NEPSAC (New England Private School Athletic Association) or NESCAC (New England Small Colleges Athletic Conference). In fact my private school in Noston played Rye Country Day for New England football championships when my brother played. Orange County/Nyack gives me a lot of Connecticut vibe. Albany absolutely feels like Western Massachusetts.

Glen Falls is the most New England place I’ve been o it side of New England. While I’m sure the majority of the land Mass in NY is more like PA. I’m thinking places like( Elmira) I’ve just never been to western NY. I’ve been to Philly and it’s burbs, York and Pittsburgh in PA, that’s it.
On a per capita basis, NYC is notably safer than Boston. Downtown Boston feels nothing like Manhattan. Center City, especially Center City West (Rittenhouse), is the closest thing in the USA to Manhattan. Fishtown/East Kensington feels like Bushwick. And parts of the Northeast are even akin to Queens. Our early settlers and immigrants were much more similar in background and cultural makeup, which has lasting effects on our built environment. Boston is a (relatively) sleepy ed-med-biotech town. NYC and Philadelphia are vibrant even into the wee hours of a weekend night. They both rock Boston's restaurant scene for diversity of experience. One can get something akin to a NYC lifestyle in Philadelphia. If you move from NYC to Boston, you have to accept the very real difference in pace of life. Boston may be affluent, but NYC-lite it is not.

But yeah no, that wasn't my point. My point is that even the more New Englandy parts of NYS aren't as far off from parts of PA, as are the more Pennsylvania-esque parts of NYS from New England. There is really nothing like Olean, Woodhull, Jamestown, or Buffalo in New England.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
On a per capita basis, NYC is notably safer than Boston. Downtown Boston feels nothing like Manhattan. Center City, especially Center City West (Rittenhouse), is the closest thing in the USA to Manhattan. Fishtown/East Kensington feels like Bushwick. And parts of the Northeast are even akin to Queens. Our early settlers and immigrants were much more similar in background and cultural makeup, which has lasting effects on our built environment. Boston is a (relatively) sleepy ed-med-biotech town. NYC and Philadelphia are vibrant even into the wee hours of a weekend night. They both rock Boston's restaurant scene for diversity of experience. One can get something akin to a NYC lifestyle in Philadelphia. If you move from NYC to Boston, you have to accept the very real difference in pace of life. Boston may be affluent, but NYC-lite it is not.

But yeah no, that wasn't my point. My point is that even the more New Englandy parts of NYS aren't as far off from parts of PA, as are the more Pennsylvania-esque parts of NYS from New England. There is really nothing like Olean, Woodhull, Jamestown, or Buffalo in New England.
Yea but I’ve heard from many a New Yorker that it’s nyc m-lite like while standing IN Boston. So that Ms just an opinion.

Downtown crossing/Chinatown feels much more like Midtown than Center City. Manhattan generally has much much wider streets than Center City. Which feels more like it’s own thing.

Dorchester basically serves as Brooklyn/Queens (Hyde Park is more Akin to southern Queens) Roxbury has always been called little Harlem (in fact, a Bostonian curates the Harlem Culture Festival). I really don’t find Philly life and NYC life that similar. Philly is way less transient and global and the liquor store laws are weird. Public transit isn’t used as heavily as Boston let alone NYC.

West Roxbury is Staten. We’re kind of just missing the Bronx which would e have historically been Roxbury or Chelsea an East Boston. Even if NYC is safer than Boston most people sit. Perceive it to be that way and the two cities are much much closer to each other than NYC is to Philly.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:04 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Yea but I’ve heard from many a New Yorker that it’s nyc m-lite like while standing IN Boston. So that Ms just an opinion.

Downtown crossing/Chinatown feels much more like Midtown than Center City. Manhattan generally has much much wider streets than Center City. Which feels more like it’s own thing.

Dorchester basically serves as Brooklyn/Queens (Hyde Park is more Akin to southern Queens) Roxbury has always been called little Harlem (in fact, a Bostonian curates the Harlem Culture Festival). I really don’t find Philly life and NYC life that similar. Philly is way less transient and global and the liquor store laws are weird. Public transit isn’t used as heavily as Boston let alone NYC.

West Roxbury is Staten. We’re kind of just missing the Bronx which would e have historically been Roxbury or Chelsea an East Boston. Even if NYC is safer than Boston most people sit. Perceive it to be that way and the two cities are much much closer to each other than NYC is to Philly.
Comparing Dorchester and Brooklyn/Queens?

I'm not trying to be flip, but that's literally one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever heard. Sorry, not a chance.

And if we're getting into the wealth/diversity argument, NYC has astronomically more wealth and FAR more diversity and obscene amounts of HNW individuals than either Boston or Philadelphia. It's a global city in a sense that Boston or Philly don't touch. That's just a fact of the matter. No comparison to any city in that regard.

Re: Westchester and environs, we'll have to agree to disagree (as I think most would with your assessment). When I come from the Boston area into metro NYC, I feel like I've reached a markedly different region of the US. It feels like the beginning of the "rest of America." New England is very much a cultural "bubble" in that regard.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I guess how I can see how the pedestrian passageway in Downtown Crossing would be reminiscent of Times Square/Midtown Manhattan. Is Downtown Crossing a very touristy area too? Most New Yorkers avoid Times Square if possible, lol.

For Chinatown, I am not seeing anything more Mannhattan-esque than Rittenhouse Square. Rittenhouse's mingling of Brownstones with high-rises is what's truly noteworthy. If anything, I'd give Back Bay a nod, but the underwhelming vertical cityscape there makes the Manhattan vibes fall off.

I just took a little tour of Dorchester here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpI8l-YrPFM

I'm not getting Brookyln, lol. To me, it looks very quintessential-Boston/New England. The closest thing to Brookyln I saw was around the 10:00 mark with the elevated train, but that pales in comparison to this Brookyln-lite scene in Fishtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9688...4!8i8192?hl=en

To your point re: New Yorkers saying Boston is NYC-lite, I've honestly had the exact opposite experience. My family and friends who live in NYC range from startup and biotech employees, educators, laywers, and film industry PAs. When I get any of them going about Boston (which is frequently, because I am a city and geography nerd), they all merrily sh*t on the city. Lol. Obviously a big part of that is the ongoing inter-city rivalry. But there is some truth to it when they talk about it being boring, stiff, and full-of-itself. And any of them who have visited me here in Philly really love it, and will draw the comparisons themselves.

To use a bit of hyperbole here, I think if you were a 30+ y/o finance bro from NYC, partaking in stereotypical "mature" finance bro activities (5 star hotels, 5 star restaurants, expensive tourist-trap excursions) and took a trip to Boston and Philadelphia, you may find Boston to speak more to your sensibilities. But if you are someone who doesn't mind a bit of grit and grime, and all of the eccentricity than comes with these parts of cities, you will find the quirky parts of Philadelphia (which is a lot of Philly) to resonate with the quirky parts of NYC (which is a lot of NYC).

Old 08-21-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
*My cut*

I am glad you did note this, though. I think many (presumably) East Coasters visit Kingston, NY and think they understand the entirety of Upstate (deploying this term in the sense of all of NY that is not Downstate).

I guess in sum: Eastern Upstate NY is way less different from Pennsylvania than Western/Southern Tier NY is from New England. There is a reason Pennsylvania took this poll so handily.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:28 AM

Dorchester and Brooklyn are both the largest and most diverse areas of each city with a plurality African American populace (well Brooklyn sure to). Both have hipster/yuppie areas, both have grittier hoods, both have massive West Indian and Irish populations both are the most well known subsections of their city. I think it’s a perfect anaology. significant portions of Dorchester is rowhomes and walk up apartments.

Dorchester Ave really isn’t representative of what it feels or looks like in the side streets. You’d have to go down Talbot Ave, Blue Hill Ave more and Columbia Road and Geneva Avenue.

I also don’t find NYC nearly as gritty or grimey as Philly. Not even close. Most of the New England mill cities feels significantly grittier and grimier than NYC…

Old 08-21-2022, 09:33 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
No one is addressing the connections that Michigan and New York share, either.
Outside of the immediate Great Lakes region, I'm not seeing any huge comparison between MI and NY. MI is pretty much THE Great Lake-yist state of the US, given how much it's defined by those bodies of water. In NY, it's maybe 15-20% defined by the Great Lakes region.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Dorchester and Brooklyn are both the largest and most diverse areas of each city with a plurality African American populace (well Brooklyn sure to). Both have hipster/yuppie areas, both have grittier hoods, both have massive West Indian and Irish populations both are the most well known subsections of their city. I think it’s a perfect anaology. significant portions of Dorchester is rowhomes and walk up apartments.

Dorchester Ave really isn’t representative of what it feels or looks like in the side streets. You’d have to go down Talbot Ave, Blue Hill Ave more and Columbia Road and Geneva Avenue.

I also don’t find N YG nearly as gritty or helmet as Philly. Not even close. Most of the New England mill cities feels grittier and grimier than NYC…
It might be Boston's closest analogy (I don't actually know), but from anything I can see on YouTube and Google Maps, it is seriously very dissimilar from Brooklyn. Even if you think demographically it is similar, the huge gap in built environment is going to have a real impact on how people live, commute, socialize, etc. to the extent that even from a cultural perspective, it's going to be a stretch. Philadelphia's No. Libs./Riverwards area is a much better analogy (of course imperfect, but much closer than Dorchester).

Old 08-21-2022, 09:44 AM

Also, where do the gays go out in Boston? I am looking at Southend and feeling very sad. NYC and Philadelphia also share having an (at-once) cohesive and beautifully chaotic LGBTQ scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City