Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 09:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
[/b]

The MLS has almost nothing to do with with venue selection.
No but he is a popular soccer figure and ambassador, not to mention—as you are aware—Miami remains popular with Euro and South American tourists even in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 09:46 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
They’ve also hosted the Super Bowl more than any other US city so they are used to hosting premier events (not to mention Formula 1)and since the last time they lost out (1) Hard Rock Stadium has been completely remodeled; (2) soccer legend David Beckham has become an owner of the Inter Miami MLS team.
1.They've hosted 6 Super Bowls prior to '93 and still failed to make the cut 3 times.

2. Hard Rock Stadium went through multiple minor renovations prior to 2016 and still lost the Copa America bid.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:46 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
NY/NJ
LA
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas
Philadelphia
Boston
San Francisco/Bay Area
Baltimore
Seattle

Old 06-14-2022, 09:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I feel like Foxborough misses the cut because of remoteness and there is no stadium in Boston.
I agree with you. But I think the pitch for Foxboro is that it will have been very recently updated (undergoing renovations now) and that there's a train station at Gillette which is already used for Patriots game days. So they'll say that the stadium location is not only a non-issue because trains will run from both Boston and Providence for games and events, but it's actually an advantage because of the added hotel capacity of essentially being a joint Boston-Providence bid. I still think it's likely that Boston ultimately won't make the cut, but I would argue that it's at least on the bubble.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:50 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
1.They've hosted 6 Super Bowls prior to '93 and still failed to make the cut 3 times.

2. Hard Rock Stadium went through multiple minor renovations prior to 2016 and still lost the Copa America bid.
And yet they hosted El Clasico with Barcelona v Real Madrid in 2017–only second time ever hosted outside Europe and first time in 35 years (first and only time ever on US soil).

https://www.internationalchampionscu...ico-miami-2017

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/m...164412687.html

Last edited by elchevere; 06-14-2022 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-14-2022, 09:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Those minor renovations are nothing compared to the 180 renovation that followed. Miami is almost a lock. I’m not going to say it’s guaranteed like LA but it’s certainly among the most likely

Old 06-14-2022, 09:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree with you. But I think the pitch for Foxboro is that it will have been very recently updated (undergoing renovations now) and that there's a train station at Gillette which is already used for Patriots game days. So they'll say that the stadium location is not only a non-issue because trains will run from both Boston and Providence for games and events, but it's actually an advantage because of the added hotel capacity of essentially being a joint Boston-Providence bid. I still think it's likely that Boston ultimately won't make the cut, but I would argue that it's at least on the bubble.
One thing is for sure. NYC won’t be the only place in the east coast. I think DC-Bmore is a lock. And FIFA will choose between Boston and Philly for the third and last northeast city

Old 06-14-2022, 09:59 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I'd start with places that have sold out American football stadiums for soccer.

And where tends of thousands of visitors can walk from hotels to the stadium.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:05 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
One thing is for sure. NYC won’t be the only place in the east coast. I think DC-Bmore is a lock. And FIFA will choose between Boston and Philly for the third and last northeast city
I tend to think Philadelphia due to location, major FIFA connections, the Union (soccer team), a strong pitch, stadium accessibility, and maybe America's birthday might add that little extra oomph. Plus Philly is hosting the PGA and MLB Allstar game that summer too. That was mentioned in their pitch.

But agree NYC and DC/Baltimore are locks.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:49 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Any chance 2026 could line up with the opening of a new stadium in Everett?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City