Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 01:27 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle and Vancouver would be a cluster BTW.

I really like Seattle's chances.
Seattle has a decent chance. I was just calling out why arguing their stadium isn't a good point.

Heck, if anything, I'd even say that having an MLS specific stadium would be a benefit. It just doesn't make sense to rank MLS team stadiums that play in NFL stadiums versus teams that play in MLS specific stadiums. But in general, factoring the MLS isn't a good argument overall regardless which people seem to pay too much of an emphasis on.

To the cluster point, yes Seattle and Vancouver can form well on top of LA and SF being on the West Coast. FIFA would like this. The one place that gets hurt by being "too far out from everything" is Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:11 PM

45 posts, read 42,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Wonder if the committee will be lenient on allowing a MLS stadium. Sporting KC's field was literally made for the purpose of eventually hosting a world cup game.

Sporting's stadium is nice but it can't host a WC game. It doesn't get anywhere close to meeting FIFA requirements. The folks who built probably knew that (or at least SHOULD HAVE). Their objective was to boost soccer's profile in KC (winning titles, selling out MLS games, make money, and eventually hosting a WC in Arrowhead). It's all about making money.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:40 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Okay and good luck. Chicago dropped out back in 2018, so did some other cities around the U.S. If they had it to do all over again, they probably wouldn't have dropped out. These games should be a boost to the local economy.
I can tell you a good amount of people I work with in the city are still bitter at the decision, but unfortunately that's what happens when you have a nationalist government in place. It would've been a huge economic boost for the city and a rare opportunity to host the games, and they blew it. Typical

Old 06-15-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I can tell you a good amount of people I work with in the city are still bitter at the decision, but unfortunately that's what happens when you have a nationalist government in place. It would've been a huge economic boost for the city and a rare opportunity to host the games, and they blew it. Typical
Yeah it’s a bummer Chicago isn’t in. But even more of a bummer that Vegas isn’t.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:40 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle and Vancouver would be a cluster BTW.

I really like Seattle's chances.
Yes it would be but I'm strictly speaking of within the US. Much easier for folks in the same country to travel around, especially if Canada has strict requirements. This is why I didn't include Monterrey with the Texas group.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
At least one oddsmaker has weighed in on which cities he thinks will be selected:

https://bookies.com/picks/2026-world-cup-host-city-odds

NY
LA
Miami
Seattle

Dallas
Atlanta

SF
Philadelphia
Baltimore/DC
Houston

It is unfathomable, most experts agree, for FIFA to bypass New York or Los Angeles, or the soccer-crazed areas of Seattle and Miami. They’re all-but guaranteed four of the 10 U.S. spots.

Dallas and Atlanta, with expansive indoor stadiums and proximity to Mexico (with accommodating airports) give them an edge. San Francisco is considered a favorite as well…. After that, it gets a little hairier. .”
Weird. Houston meets this criteria as well. I mean, it's even closer to Mexico than Dallas and Atlanta if he used that reasoning.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Weird. Houston meets this criteria as well. I mean, it's even closer to Mexico than Dallas and Atlanta if he used that reasoning.
It was on the list tho

Old 06-15-2022, 06:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It was on the list tho
I was responding to the last part that was said.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Wasn’t this announcement supposed to come yesterday?

Edit: Oh wait. It’s today isn’t it? Exciting!

Old 06-16-2022, 07:45 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Wasn’t this announcement supposed to come yesterday?

Edit: Oh wait. It’s today isn’t it? Exciting!
Yes around 5pm EST. There are watch parties scheduled in certain cities, makes me wonder if there is secret intel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City