Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 07:19 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
The Sounders play in an NFL stadium.
They sure do, and they get big crowds as well. I did read somewhere they are looking to build their own stadium by 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Atlanta and Seattle are guaranteed, especially because Canada is likely going to be Vancouver and Toronto, and the third spot is going to an American city.

NYC, LA are the other shoe-ins. Probably Dallas and Miami as well.
I read that Edmonton took the place of Montreal for the 3rd Canadian city. Hopefully they won't get disappointed again after what happened to their Oilers.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:29 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
At least one oddsmaker has weighed in on which cities he thinks will be selected:

https://bookies.com/picks/2026-world-cup-host-city-odds

NY
LA
Miami
Seattle

Dallas
Atlanta

SF
Philadelphia
Baltimore/DC
Houston

It is unfathomable, most experts agree, for FIFA to bypass New York or Los Angeles, or the soccer-crazed areas of Seattle and Miami. They’re all-but guaranteed four of the 10 U.S. spots.

Dallas and Atlanta, with expansive indoor stadiums and proximity to Mexico (with accommodating airports) give them an edge. San Francisco is considered a favorite as well…. After that, it gets a little hairier. .”

Last edited by elchevere; 06-15-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 08:49 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I read that Edmonton took the place of Montreal for the 3rd Canadian city. Hopefully they won't get disappointed again after what happened to their Oilers.
Vancouver was the city that replaced Montreal, but that is because our very short sighted/nationalist government in Quebec decided to drop out (even though we were essentially locked in) since to them, it would cost more to host the games and they won't make much profit and they'd rather spend that money on local events that mainly promote French/won't cost taxpayers too much money.

I think if all went according to plan, we were supposed to host 4 games? Which would have brought in more money than essentially every event outside F1.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Vancouver was the city that replaced Montreal, but that is because our very short sighted/nationalist government in Quebec decided to drop out (even though we were essentially locked in) since to them, it would cost more to host the games and they won't make much profit and they'd rather spend that money on local events that mainly promote French/won't cost taxpayers too much money.

I think if all went according to plan, we were supposed to host 4 games? Which would have brought in more money than essentially every event outside F1.
Okay and good luck. Chicago dropped out back in 2018, so did some other cities around the U.S. If they had it to do all over again, they probably wouldn't have dropped out. These games should be a boost to the local economy.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:43 AM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Not true. Dallas is a lock for the stadium alone. DC/Bmore I don't believe is a lock, but they have more of a chance than Seattle. Here's how I think it'll play out:

NYC
Boston
Philly
DC/Balt

ATL + Media Center
MIA

HOU
DAL

LA
Bay Area

You got pretty much each region of the US covered, outside of the Midwest, but you could call DFW a Midwest-lite.
Replace Houston with Denver and potentially replace one of Boston/Philly with Seattle.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Replace Houston with Denver and potentially replace one of Boston/Philly with Seattle.
If they are worried at all about clusters, then replacing Houston with Denver doesn't make sense. I grouped the cities on my list based on closeness. You can have local branding/marketing within the national branding, within the continental branding. The "Texas games" would be DAL/HOU. The "California Games" would be LA/Bay Area, "Northeast Games" would be the NE corridor, etc.

Now I could see one of Philly or Boston (probably Boston) going to Seattle instead. I think they'll use Dallas as the city which is close enough to cover middle America. Plus with Denver I think it's altitude may play a factor. I don't know if FIFA wants two high altitude cities (MDX being the other) but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:57 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
The Sounders play in an NFL stadium.
The my point. The poster that I responded to was judging the Sounder’s stadium versus other teams that have MLS specific stadiums. The only thing that matters in terms of stadiums is where they would be played which for any team and city will be the NFL stadium regardless of them having an MLS specific stadium. There’s no point on taking the MLS stadiums into the equations because they won’t have any games played there.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:15 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Seattle and Vancouver would be a cluster BTW.

I really like Seattle's chances.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:25 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree with you. But I think the pitch for Foxboro is that it will have been very recently updated (undergoing renovations now) and that there's a train station at Gillette which is already used for Patriots game days. So they'll say that the stadium location is not only a non-issue because trains will run from both Boston and Providence for games and events, but it's actually an advantage because of the added hotel capacity of essentially being a joint Boston-Providence bid. I still think it's likely that Boston ultimately won't make the cut, but I would argue that it's at least on the bubble.
This venue next to the stadium doesn't hurt either: https://www.patriot-place.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City