Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 12:24 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ll say it’s possible but I wouldn’t think so. I think Orlando in the past hosted big matches because of the stadium situation in Miami. But with Miami’s remodeled stadium, they’re a no brainer now. And this likely takes the Florida market
So ridiculous that Orlando didn't implement a weatherproof system when they built that thing. Beautiful stadium, but with daily monsoons for half of the year in Florida, it is an absolute necessity if they want to host big games. Can't tell you how many times we got drenched while at an MLS game, waiting for storms to pass (concourse would get wet too. And flooded with crowds... And become a smelly, humid sauna.)
They have the money for it. No excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 12:45 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
A few things that I wish we wouldve done different.

1. LAS VEGAS. Las freaking Vegas. It’s one of the worlds most attractive locations to visit. And Allegiant Stadium is a top 2 stadium in tbe NFL (competing for the top with Sofi). The World Cup in that stadium. In that town. Followed by a night on the strip! It was meant to be.

2. Chicago. I understand the issues and the backstory but come on. Worlds biggest event and we won’t get the #3 city? Come on. Set that local government beef aside for one event! Coincidentally precisely this year when selections are announced, two of Chicago’s biggest companies announced they’re leaving town to go with the local government soap opera that everyone here’s about (btw send United to Houston next ).

3. Would be cool if there were a couple more spots so more regions would be represented.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:19 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
I’ll say it’s possible but I wouldn’t think so. I think Orlando in the past hosted big matches because of the stadium situation in Miami. But with Miami’s remodeled stadium, they’re a no brainer now. And this likely takes the Florida market
The stadium was o reason I did not include Miami in my list. Had I known Hard Rock stadium underwent an entire 360 renovation I would have have included it. To Elchevere's point; Internationals cup was a major boost, FI was the icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to eating crow later on today when it's announced Miami will be a host city.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:21 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:

3. Would be cool if there were a couple more spots so more regions would be represented.
FIFA can make up their own rules.
Nothing is written in stone.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:24 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:

1. LAS VEGAS. Las freaking Vegas. It’s one of the worlds most attractive locations to visit. And Allegiant Stadium is a top 2 stadium in tbe NFL (competing for the top with Sofi). The World Cup in that stadium. In that town. Followed by a night on the strip! It was meant to be.

2. Chicago. I understand the issues and the backstory but come on. Worlds biggest event and we won’t get the #3 city? Come on. Set that local government beef aside for one event! Coincidentally precisely this year when selections are announced, two of Chicago’s biggest companies announced they’re leaving town to go with the local government soap opera that everyone here’s about (btw send United to Houston next ).

Do you know why Cincinatti was chosen over Columbus? If i'm reading it correctly, it's possible to use football stadiums to host the games? Ohio Stadium sits 104k people far more than any stadium in Ohio. Only thing I can think of is the NCAA has some rule prohibiting the use of their football stadiums for different sports.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Santa Clara sucks. The Northern half of the Bay needs a world class stadium but alas we have none.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:43 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
[/b]

Do you know why Cincinatti was chosen over Columbus? If i'm reading it correctly, it's possible to use football stadiums to host the games? Ohio Stadium sits 104k people far more than any stadium in Ohio. Only thing I can think of is the NCAA has some rule prohibiting the use of their football stadiums for different sports.
Columbus doesn’t have an NFL stadium. College stadiums may have higher capacity but are still lower quality

Old 06-16-2022, 02:35 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:

Yeah that's too bad because Chicago is an amazing city, so much to see and do. But the decision to withdraw its bid from the World Cup, was mad under a previous administration, when Rahm Emanuel was still mayor. Not sure if the current administration would have made any difference, but they couldn't change what was already done under Mayor Emanuel.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:37 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Curious... Would the Dallas games be played in the Cotton Bowl or the Stadium in Arlington??
The Dallas games would be at AT&T Stadium. I just read something that states, New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Dallas were a lock to host games.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:37 PM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Hard to understand how Nashville can be left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City