Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 06:58 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Thanks. I'm confusing Gillette with its predecessor, then.

So now I'm pretty certain that Arrowhead will be the oldest of the stadia hosting FIFA World Cup games.
Oldest of the U.S. stadiums, but the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City is the oldest. It opened in 1966 and is 56 years old, several years older than Arrowhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 06:59 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I would imagine FIFA would select a city with access to TV stations in English and, at minimum, Spanish…if Philly meets that criteria, great. It’s the World Cup, after all—not the America Cup with English only broadcasting. NYC remains my guess.
I added to my prior post a note that Comcast NBCUniversal has two TV stations in the city:

One is the NBC O&O, NBC10 (WCAU).

The other is the Telemundo O&O, Telemundo 62 (WWSI).

Philly checks off that box. And remember, Comcast is headquartered here. That probably did factor into FIFA's calculus. 30 Rock is now a branch office.

There's buzz around here that the final might be held here because of the location (New Yorkers can get here in very short order).

Old 06-17-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Oldest of the U.S. stadiums, but the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City is the oldest. It opened in 1966 and is 56 years old, several years older than Arrowhead.
Got it. Six years older, to be specific.

Didn't that stadium host events in the 1968 Summer Olympics?

Old 06-17-2022, 07:09 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
i dont know why they picked Gillette stadium...
Its pretty self explanatory

Old 06-17-2022, 07:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Yes that is literally what it was built for.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Got it. Six years older, to be specific.

Yes it did.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's cool and sounds like it was a lot of fun. I guess a nearly 20 year old Giants stadium at the time wasnt enough to overcome LA's advantages at the time, including several thousand more seats.

This is why ATL was my original pick. Philly can make a case with Comcast, and of course LA or NYC can always fill in. Dont think Dallas has a shot at hosting the media this time around. It's been passed up in the media game since 1994.
New York of course can be the media center, it's already the media center of the U.S. I believe Atlanta is in the mix because of CNN being headquartered there, and it's the home of the world busiest airport. Also CNN have lots of international correspondents and bureaus and they operates in 6 continents.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
New York of course can be the media center, it's already the media center of the U.S. I believe Atlanta is in the mix because of CNN being headquartered there, and it's the home of the world busiest airport. Also CNN have lots of international correspondents and bureaus and they operates in 6 continents.
Am I shouting into the wind, or what?

FIFA won't need to use New York as a media center. Comcast's facilities in Philadelphia are more technologically advanced (the studio NBC10 and Telemundo 62 share in the Comcast Technology Center is the first all-IP-based broadcast TV studio in the country), and the company has NBC10's old Bala-Cynwyd studio in mothballs and could certainly get it in shape to use again four years hence.

Once again: 30 Rock is now a branch office. (Shoot, the Comcast acquisition of NBC even became part of the plotline of an NBC sitcom whose name escapes me right now.) Philadelphia has all the media facilities FIFA will need.

I told a fellow reporter at the Pen & Pencil Club last night that the funny thing about Philadelphia is: It's the fifth-biggest media market in the country, but thanks to its location, one gets the feeling that working in that market is like playing on the Triple-A farm team of a Major League Baseball franchise. This event will become Philly's star turn, God bless our world-class municipal inferiority complex.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:12 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Isn't it the largest stadium in that state and all New England.
Yep. It’s also configured for soccer so it’s not a great NFL stadium because the stands are far from the field.

The biggest problem is laying turf over the artificial surface. Ideally, you want to do it a full month in advance and you can’t use the stadium for anything else. I saw Honduras-Panama an US-Haiti there in 2015 and the pitch was failing.

I used to have Revolution season tickets a few rows up from the corner flag by the lighthouse.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Am I shouting into the wind, or what?

FIFA won't need to use New York as a media center. Comcast's facilities in Philadelphia are more technologically advanced (the studio NBC10 and Telemundo 62 share in the Comcast Technology Center is the first all-IP-based broadcast TV studio in the country), and the company has NBC10's old Bala-Cynwyd studio in mothballs and could certainly get it in shape to use again four years hence.

Once again: 30 Rock is now a branch office. (Shoot, the Comcast acquisition of NBC even became part of the plotline of an NBC sitcom whose name escapes me right now.) Philadelphia has all the media facilities FIFA will need.

I told a fellow reporter at the Pen & Pencil Club last night that the funny thing about Philadelphia is: It's the fifth-biggest media market in the country, but thanks to its location, one gets the feeling that working in that market is like playing on the Triple-A farm team of a Major League Baseball franchise. This event will become Philly's star turn, God bless our world-class municipal inferiority complex.
Why would Fox Sports use a competitors (Comcast) facilities instead of their own ?…or will Comcast, via its CT based Telemundo Deportes split responsibilities, handling the international coverage ??? Looks like there could be 2 media centers.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...spn-univision/

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...l-live-june-16

Last edited by elchevere; 06-17-2022 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City