Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 06:23 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
NYC didn't have a nice stadium back then, and although LA didn't either the Rose Bowl at least had some upgrades plus the scenery is hard to match. With NYC's new stadium, I think they have a great shot at hosting the Finals, although I like the idea of Philly hosting it with the 250th anniversary going on.
That's not true. NYC had Giants Stadium back then which was more than adequate. I was at the World Cup in 1994 at Giants Stadium as a 17 yr old watching Ireland-Italy. Really no place on Earth better to be Irish and/or Italian than the Tri-State and the Stadium was electric! The tailgate and atmosphere everywhere in the area was rocking. The "new" stadium, not that it's really new anymore is Meh. But it serves the needs of the corporate sponsors, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 06:27 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
So Philly could be a dark horse for the media center? With the 250th anniversary and Comcasr, I can see it. Would be a fun city for the media too IMO (better than ATL and DFW).
Atlanta is the world headquarters of CNN, they have a huge complex in downtown Atlanta. Being the media center will be easy for them to accommodate.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:36 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
FedEx Field is slightly newer than M&T Bank Stadium, so how do it get so bad so fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWmwc-q4qc

Old 06-17-2022, 06:37 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Atlanta is the world headquarters of CNN, they have a huge complex in downtown Atlanta. Being the media center will be easy for them to accommodate.
Maybe NYC/metro—which, besides English language media, is home to Univision and relatively close ESPN Deportes (though the games will be broadcast by Fox Sports—LA HQ—and Telemundo—Miami HQ, with offices in LA and NYC). The games aren’t broadcast only in English.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...spn-univision/

Last edited by elchevere; 06-17-2022 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
No not even close, Arrowhead is nearly 30 years older than Gillette Stadium, Gillette opened in 2000, Arrowhead in 1972.
Thanks. I'm confusing Gillette with its predecessor, then.

So now I'm pretty certain that Arrowhead will be the oldest of the stadia hosting FIFA World Cup games.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:47 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And/or NYC/metro—which, besides English language media, is home to Univision and ESPN Deportes (though the games will be broadcast by Fox—LA HQ and Telemundo—Miami HQ).
Telemundo is owned by NBCUniversal, which is the broadcast network/movie studio arm of...

Comcast.

The company's two headquarters towers in Center City Philadelphia are the tallest and second-tallest buildings in the city, and the taller of the two is the tallest building located outside NYC or Chicago.

Its local TV station's* studio is housed in the newer second tower — I took a tour of it a while back; it's the first all-IP-based broadcast TV studio in the country. I suspect Comcast will be able to make room for its stablemates at its various facilities in the city; jeez, they can probably pull the old NBC10 studios on City Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd out of mothballs if need be.

*edited to add: Make that "stations'" plural possessive. Both NBC10 (WCAU) and Telemundo 62 (WWSI) have studios in the building.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:49 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Telemundo is owned by NBCUniversal, which is the broadcast network arm of...

Comcast.

The company's two headquarters towers in Center City Philadelphia are the tallest and second-tallest buildings in the city, and the taller of the two is the tallest building located outside NYC or Chicago.

Its local TV station's studio is housed in the newer second tower — I took a tour of it a while back; it's the first all-digital broadcast TV studio in the country. I suspect Comcast will be able to make room for its stablemates at its various facilities in the city; jeez, they can probably pull the old NBC10 studios on City Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd out of mothballs if need be.
Again Qatar and South Africa hosted (or will host) World Cups, in the US it’s not really about what city can do X, LA, Ny, Philly, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Chicago etc could easily be the media center, it’s about who gets picked based on FIFA’s whims (or chamber of Commerce Bribes)

Old 06-17-2022, 06:50 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
That's not true. NYC had Giants Stadium back then which was more than adequate. I was at the World Cup in 1994 at Giants Stadium as a 17 yr old watching Ireland-Italy. Really no place on Earth better to be Irish and/or Italian than the Tri-State and the Stadium was electric! The tailgate and atmosphere everywhere in the area was rocking. The "new" stadium, not that it's really new anymore is Meh. But it serves the needs of the corporate sponsors, etc.
That's cool and sounds like it was a lot of fun. I guess a nearly 20 year old Giants stadium at the time wasnt enough to overcome LA's advantages at the time, including several thousand more seats.

Quote:
This is why ATL was my original pick. Philly can make a case with Comcast, and of course LA or NYC can always fill in. Dont think Dallas has a shot at hosting the media this time around. It's been passed up in the media game since 1994.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Telemundo is owned by NBCUniversal, which is the broadcast network/movie studio arm of...

Comcast.

Its local TV station's studio is housed in the newer second tower — I took a tour of it a while back; it's the first all-IP-based broadcast TV studio in the country. I suspect Comcast will be able to make room for its stablemates at its various facilities in the city; jeez, they can probably pull the old NBC10 studios on City Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd out of mothballs if need be.
I would imagine FIFA would select a city with access to TV stations in English and, at minimum, Spanish…if Philly meets that criteria, great. It’s the World Cup, after all—not the America Cup with English only broadcasting. NYC remains my guess with a few others close behind.

Yesterday’s host cities announcement was made at Fox Studios in…..NYC.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-17-2022 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 06:57 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I would imagine FIFA would select a city with access to TV stations in English and, at minimum, Spanish…if Philly meets that criteria, great. It’s the World Cup, after all—not the America Cup with English only broadcasting.
North America hosting the World Cup is like the Warriors trying to win March madness, there are like a dozen cities capable of doing anything FIFA asks. Texas, California or Mexico alone could host the WC if they wanted to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City