Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 11:02 AM

309 posts, read 307,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City is totally roofless. (It's part of a two-stadium complex that opened in the early 1970s. A rolling arched metal roof that would cover an entire stadium was supposed to be part of the package, but that got deleted to save money.)

Edited to add: I'm not 100 percent sure of this, but at age 50, I think Arrowhead may well be the oldest of the stadiums picked for the FIFA World Cup, though I think Gilette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., may be about as old.
You're probably thinking of the original Foxboro Stadium that dates from Arrowhead's era. The current Gillette opened around the early 2000's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So? I’m pretty sure there’s a larger stadium in Michigan and Ohio.

Foxboro is just so boring and out of the way. I literally just feel bad for visiting fans, to travel all that way

For those saying it’s Kraft didn’t they host in 1994, having won that bid before 1994 this before Kraft had ever owned the patriots or had been to Foxboro…
AT&T Stadium in DFW is pretty out of the way as well. So is Santa Clara (SF Bay Area). Anyway point is that Gillette is no Sofi, but most stadiums on here aren’t either or anything close to it. Gillette is fine and it’s not the only stadium that’s far out.

Boston is arguably America’s premier sports town and overall one of America’s principal cities. They deserved the spot they got.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:16 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So? I’m pretty sure there’s a larger stadium in Michigan and Ohio.

Foxboro is just so boring and out of the way. I literally just feel bad for visiting fans, to travel all that way

For those saying it’s Kraft didn’t they host in 1994, having won that bid before 1994 this before Kraft had ever owned the patriots or had been to Foxboro…
True but nothing in Michigan even was up for selection, and Cincinnati didn't make the cut. I guess they wanted Boston, and the only large stadium close enough to Boston or in that entire region is Gillette Stadium. The question was asked why Gillette, but there is no other option in that region that would qualify. It is what it is, fans are going to be spending their time discovering Boston when they are not at the games, I think they will enjoy it.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:19 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
AT&T Stadium in DFW is pretty out of the way as well. So is Santa Clara (SF Bay Area). Anyway point is that Gillette is no Sofi, but most stadiums on here aren’t either or anything close to it. Gillette is fine and it’s not the only stadium that’s far out.

Boston is arguably America’s premier sports town and overall one of America’s principal cities. They deserved the spot they got.
Absolutely, it's a beautiful historical city with so much history, the fans will enjoy walking around Boston when they are not at the games.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Yahoo sports say the two stadiums in the running for the final is Met Life and At&t according to their sources.

Their sources also state that DC didn't make it because of the stadium and they did not like the joint bid. Their sources said a last minute decision was made in favor of KC and Boston with a little coaxing from Robert Kraft.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:42 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Am I shouting into the wind, or what?

FIFA won't need to use New York as a media center. Comcast's facilities in Philadelphia are more technologically advanced (the studio NBC10 and Telemundo 62 share in the Comcast Technology Center is the first all-IP-based broadcast TV studio in the country), and the company has NBC10's old Bala-Cynwyd studio in mothballs and could certainly get it in shape to use again four years hence.

Once again: 30 Rock is now a branch office. (Shoot, the Comcast acquisition of NBC even became part of the plotline of an NBC sitcom whose name escapes me right now.) Philadelphia has all the media facilities FIFA will need.

I told a fellow reporter at the Pen & Pencil Club last night that the funny thing about Philadelphia is: It's the fifth-biggest media market in the country, but thanks to its location, one gets the feeling that working in that market is like playing on the Triple-A farm team of a Major League Baseball franchise. This event will become Philly's star turn, God bless our world-class municipal inferiority complex.
Good posts.
I still think people on here (and in general) downplay Philadelphia, and in this instance Comcast.
My guess is New York will be the broadcast hub, based on last night. But Philadelphia likely has the next strongest case. And in the world of media conglomerates, Comcast has a heck of a lot more money, power and sway than CNN.

And per early sources I'm researching, Philadelphia was a lock host city from the start, DC and Boston were not, contrary to most early predictions.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:05 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Kansas just really sticks out badly imo. Several other cities would have been the better pick... Chicago, DC, Denver even Vegas. But still, happy for fans in KC.

Nice pairs of cities for huge fans to be able to attend games in either place... NYC/Philly, Dallas/Houston, SF/LA, Seattle/Vancouver

Old 06-17-2022, 12:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Kansas just really sticks out badly imo.
Kansas City is in Missouri and is one of the most soccer crazed cities in the US.

Chicago and DC both dropped out of the running, and **** anyone who thinks there shouldn't be some sort of Midwestern representation.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:26 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Kansas City is in Missouri and is one of the most soccer crazed cities in the US.

Chicago and DC both dropped out of the running, and **** anyone who thinks there shouldn't be some sort of Midwestern representation.
DC did not drop out. They combined there bid with Baltimore and still did not get selected. Very unfortunate.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
DC did not drop out. They combined there bid with Baltimore and still did not get selected. Very unfortunate.
Oh come on. They "merged" but we all know that was not an honestly viable bid once that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City