Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami and Seattle are getting big and tall... which city will be grander?
Miami 29 40.85%
Seattle 32 45.07%
other US city (not called LA, Chicago, or NYC) 10 14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 02:42 PM

365 posts, read 229,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Well, yeah. That's what I thought was being discussed here.

Although both really do quite poorly outside of their downtowns, barring Miami Beach. For instance, I was surprised at how much of a snoozefest Downtown Fort Lauderdale is during my last visit there. Looks great from a distance, but at street level, there didn't seem to be much of anything going on there.
This was during a weekend, and with the Thunderbirds in town as well.
Capitol Hill, U District, Ballard, Fremont, West Seattle - all have plenty of pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 PM

22 posts, read 14,396 times
Quote:
Well, yeah. That's what I thought was being discussed here.

Although both really do quite poorly outside of their downtowns, barring Miami Beach. For instance, I was surprised at how much of a snoozefest Downtown Fort Lauderdale is during my last visit there. Looks great from a distance, but at street level, there didn't seem to be much of anything going on there.
This was during a weekend, and with the Thunderbirds in town as well.

That's funny because all these people in the videos below seem to not be in "snoozefest" mode. Keep in mind that these places get even wilder at night.

Fort Lauderdale Beach

Las Olas

I'll even throw in Hollywood Beach for good measure

Last edited by retslow105; 06-24-2022 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 03:27 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retslow105 View Post
That's funny because all these people in the videos below seem to not be in "snoozefest" mode. Keep in mind that these places get even wilder at night.

Fort Lauderdale Beach

Las Olas

I'll even throw in Hollywood Beach for good measure
I’m aware that the beaches are busy. Heck, even in my small suburban town, the beach areas are packed.

Downtown is what I was referring to. It certainly was nowhere near busy like shown in that video. Granted, I did not go out at night, but during the daytime, both on a Saturday and Sunday, it was completely dead. Certainly not what I expected.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I’m aware that the beaches are busy. Heck, even in my small suburban town, the beach areas are packed.

Downtown is what I was referring to. It certainly was nowhere near busy like shown in that video. Granted, I did not go out at night, but during the daytime, both on a Saturday and Sunday, it was completely dead. Certainly not what I expected.
But the middle Las Olas video is downtown.. and that video was even shot on a Monday. You sure you didn't visit an Everglades outpost by mistake?

And yes please show me a comparable video without an event going on of how packed your small suburban Florida beach town area is compared to the videos I posted. (or post any city or town outside of South Florida for that matter)

Old 06-24-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
But the middle Las Olas video is downtown.. and that video was even shot on a Monday. You sure you didn't visit an Everglades outpost by mistake?

And yes please show me a comparable video without an event going on of how packed your small suburban beach town area is compared to the videos I posted. (or post any city outside of South Florida for that matter)
LOL. Yes, I was downtown. I was there for a weekend as my son had a sports game, and it also happened to be the weekend the Thunderbirds were performing air shows. I'm not doubting that it perhaps does get busy during evenings and at night. It just was not when I was there, in the middle of the city, during daytime hours, on a weekend. We got bored, and went to Miami for entertainment. Bayfront was very nice. Teeming with activity, and beautiful views.

As for the second paragraph of your post, I'm not going to post videos that are unrelated to the topic at hand, as I'll get flagged for being off-topic. You're free to create a new thread if you really want to debate anything of the sort.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 06-24-2022 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 04:23 PM

141 posts, read 90,441 times
I see lots of pedestrians in a non-Downtown urban area here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaqD7aJ43A

Old 06-24-2022, 04:42 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN7kzE9NUxs

Seattle Alaskan Way area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6KWvkqVgEI
Seattle downtown

Old 06-24-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:

And yes please show me a comparable video without an event going on of how packed your small suburban Florida beach town area is compared to the videos I posted. (or post any city or town outside of South Florida for that matter)
I created this thread so that we can share this info without derailing someone else's topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...l#post63680579

Old 06-24-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Top video screams Toronto to me. Some parts of Toronto could pass for that.

As far as the skyline and massive residential towers go, however, Miami is closest, by far. Miami's skyline looks quite bonkers when looking in from Biscayne Bay. I think it's hideous during the day (bland blue condos) but GORGEOUS at night with the lights.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Top video screams Toronto to me. Some parts of Toronto could pass for that.

As far as the skyline and massive residential towers go, however, Miami is closest, by far. Miami's skyline looks quite bonkers when looking in from Biscayne Bay. I think it's hideous during the day (bland blue condos) but GORGEOUS at night with the lights.

I'm not really understanding how someone could say this looks hideous. Not preferable to you, sure. But come on "hideous?"

Last edited by retslow105; 06-24-2022 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City