Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,023,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I'm a firm believer in "walking", but, and this is a big BUT, what happens when the examples I just listed ain't within walking distances. Take a 1hr round trip bus ride to simply get a movie? 'Real' grocery stores in NYC? Sure NYC has them, but they are far and few in between. Book stores? ETC... NYC as a whole, ain't nearly as convienent as people make it out to be. Sure, certain nabes are, but what's the sticker price on rent in those nabes? Do you realize how many areas of Mannhattan that have NO CONVIENENCE to them what-so-ever?

I've lived in both cities, I'm not just talking to talk. I never said the "deli's", or "bodegas" as they call them, ain't good, some are great. Great in terms of getting a sandwhich or six-pack. But NOT "great" in terms of buying grocery's. That charge a FORTUNE for just about everything they have in them (which is a small section anyway).

P.S. Some of the laziest people I ever met were in NYC. I'm talking in terms of walking (also in regards to manual labor too though). You tell them to walk 5 or 6 city blocks, you'd thought you asked them to walk to Jersey or something. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 people I met either, quite a few.
Um i dont know what you are talking about but manhattan is the most convient place in the country if not the world. Ive been to every neighborhood in manhattan and i can sure tell you that it is. How did you get from suburbs to manhattan. To reah a suburb in nyc you would have to go really far. Also about those stores you listed. Many people dont care for blockbuster here. Alot of them goin out of buisness. Most people either buy dvds or rent them from their cable or directtv provider or online. Barnes and noble, ok there are hundreds of private book stores across the city you dont need to go to there. Theres a store for everthing you dont have to go to branch stores.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
I voted Chicago because Evanston and Naperville always seemed so clean to me. NYC has too many factories surrounding it. The only appealing thing about NYC is Manhattan.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,378,572 times
The Northshore suburbs of Chicago can hold their own against any in the Tri-State area, including the coastal CT ones.

To anyone that has not been there in person, you have no idea.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The Northshore suburbs of Chicago can hold their own against any in the Tri-State area, including the coastal CT ones.

To anyone that has not been there in person, you have no idea.
Agreed, sort of. I think Chi and NYC both have the best burbs in the country. That being said, there is something about the demeanor of those in the CT burbs that make them premier suburbs. Greenwich, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Madison, Guilford, etc all have a classy, refined vibe with intelligence and among the best schools in the country. I'm not just saying this because I live here, because trust me, we have our problems too - but when you walk around downtown New Canaan, CT you think "utopia." Most CT suburbs are similar to the vibe in Winnetka.

I don't get it but so many in the Chicago area try to boast about how "wealthy" they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I voted Chicago because Evanston and Naperville always seemed so clean to me. NYC has too many factories surrounding it. The only appealing thing about NYC is Manhattan.
LOL - sounds like you've never been to Connecticut, Westchester, North Jersey outside of Newark and the turnpike, the North Shore of Long Island. Take a trip sometime. I'll bet you won't see one factory.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Um i dont know what you are talking about but manhattan is the most convient place in the country if not the world. Ive been to every neighborhood in manhattan and i can sure tell you that it is. How did you get from suburbs to manhattan. To reah a suburb in nyc you would have to go really far. Also about those stores you listed. Many people dont care for blockbuster here. Alot of them goin out of buisness. Most people either buy dvds or rent them from their cable or directtv provider or online. Barnes and noble, ok there are hundreds of private book stores across the city you dont need to go to there. Theres a store for everthing you dont have to go to branch stores.
Really? lol Walking to 'real grocercy' stores is convient in Mannhattan? Let me guess, taking the subway or cab is considered convient to you (not to mention the PRICES they charge). I just talked to a guy 2 days ago who lived in Mannhattan, and who moved just cause of that (he said it was NOT convienent). Parts of Mannhattan, can be convient, most ain't though.

The statement about Blockbusters? $32 bucks a month, and you get the UNLIMITED 2 movies pass. Ya, I bet MOST people would rather just go out and buy a movie instead? Hundreds of "private book stores"? Maybe in the 'trendy and chic' nabes of NYC, but not the others.

Mannhattan is in no way, shape, or form, the most convient area in America, let alone the world. Thing is, I've lived in NYC, so you can't bs me with this statement. If it was, I'd say so. I got no 'axe to grind' with NYC what-so-ever. I call it like I see it!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Really? lol Walking to 'real grocercy' stores is convient in Mannhattan? Let me guess, taking the subway or cab is considered convient to you (not to mention the PRICES they charge). I just talked to a guy 2 days ago who lived in Mannhattan, and who moved just cause of that (he said it was NOT convienent). Parts of Mannhattan, can be convient, most ain't though.

The statement about Blockbusters? $32 bucks a month, and you get the UNLIMITED 2 movies pass. Ya, I bet MOST people would rather just go out and buy a movie instead? Hundreds of "private book stores"? Maybe in the 'trendy and chic' nabes of NYC, but not the others.

Mannhattan is in no way, shape, or form, the most convient area in America, let alone the world. Thing is, I've lived in NYC, so you can't bs me with this statement. If it was, I'd say so. I got no 'axe to grind' with NYC what-so-ever. I call it like I see it!
While I understand this thread is NOT about Manhattan - I'm curious to hear where you lived that was more convenient than that?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Buy movies, you dont have to return it and u dont have to worry about who had it before you. Since electronic stores or mostly any store that sells movies is more convient than blockbsters. Subway and Bus is $2. Pitty you if you cant afford a cab. Especially if you are not going too far. Just to show you how convient it is i used to live in harlem. in my reach my school was 2 blocks away Supermartket 2 blocks way. 15 or more fastfood chains and local resturaunts in a 2 to 3 block radius, park right across the street and anothe park 4 blocks away, subway station 2 blocks, bus sto 2 blocks away, a whole bunch of other stores in a 2-3 block radius, school right across the street, DMV 2 blocks away, car dealerships, 3-4 blocks away, etc My neighborhood seemed secluded and small. You know what i think it is is that people really lazy because i see a whole bunch of local resturaunts and stores and dont see alot of people in them all the time just probably the people who live on the same street or atleast in a 1 block radius.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,690,866 times
Quote:
P.S. Some of the laziest people I ever met were in NYC. I'm talking in terms of walking (also in regards to manual labor too though). You tell them to walk 5 or 6 city blocks, you'd thought you asked them to walk to Jersey or something. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 people I met either, quite a few.
I thought we were talking about the NYC and Chicago BURBS, not the city in its self.
Because you can say the same about Chicago, but there's no point because it's a stupid point.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
While I understand this thread is NOT about Manhattan - I'm curious to hear where you lived that was more convenient than that?
All Mannnhattan is, is a "downtown". The thing that makes it different than other city's, besides all the highrise buildings, is the amount of people that live in it. Would you consider living in "downtown" Chicago, more convient than a nabe like Lakeview or Edgewater, etc.

A great and convient 'city nabe', should have a 'real' grocery store, banks, coffee shops, bars, etc. Once you have to start hopping on trains or buses to get everyday items, I know longer consider it to be convient.

I LOVE the nabe of Edgewater in Chicago. It has everything that I listed, reasonable rents, and you can walk right to the lake. That nabe is WAY more convient than ANYTHING in Mannhattan.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why not jump on the "train" and be there in a "few minutes"? You act like as soon as you open you front door, you walk right into the subway. Alot of people have a decent walk to the subway (if not downright far) to begin with, not to mention "waiting" on the train. NOTHING in NYC ONLY takes a "few minutes". All that, to get something that in other places would be right in the nabe.

You say "corner deli'es". That makes me think that you're not even from NYC, or never lived there. They call them "Bodegas", not "deli'es" like you're calling them. Alot of them are open 24/7. But what kind of selection do you think they have? Great for a hogie, smokes, soda or six-pack, but for ACTUAL grocery shopping? Not to mention how HIGH the prices are in them!

The high rents in those "chic and trendy nabes", MOST people can't afford. Or they have to live like animals with a bunch of roommates.

You saying that in NYC, you can get "anything at anytime", now PROVES to me you've NEVER lived there. It just ain't the case, sorry been there and done it.
It doesnt matter becuase when you have the most extensive transportation system in the country and its up there with best in the world it should only take you a couple of minutes. It takes me only 20-30 minutes to get from midtown to north part of yonkers to my grandmothers house by car(not even speeding).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City