Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:43 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

3 million people in the city, 10 million people in the metro, 28 Fortune 500 companies, can't be wrong about picking Chicago as their spot.

I mean there's obviously a reason why they're still there.

37 million people visiting it annually, with nearly 40% being out of the country tourists, they can't be wrong. By the way, 37 million means one of the top 5 visited cities in the country...

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

245 posts, read 215,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
3 million people in the city, 10 million people in the metro, 28 Fortune 500 companies, can't be wrong about picking Chicago as their spot.

I mean there's obviously a reason why they're still there.

37 million people visiting it annually, with nearly 40% being out of the country tourists, they can't be wrong. By the way, 37 million means one of the top 5 visited cities in the country...
Yeah, ever wondered why nobody "with a name" ever choses to live in Chicago? Why Oprah ditched the city for California? Why Kanye West ditched Chicago for New York? We are not simply talking about celebrities but the virtual lack of cultural elites in the city: no renowned film directors, actors, musicians etc etc.

By the way, I think Chicago has 10 Fortune 500 companies not 28 and the number of visitors to Chicago is inflated as Chicago calculates tourist differently than other US cities (does not require an overnight stay) so all the suburban commuters are included in calculations with actual tourists from out of the area.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
Yeah, ever wondered why nobody "with a name" ever choses to live in Chicago? Why Oprah ditched the city for California? Why Kanye West ditched Chicago for New York? We are not simply talking about celebrities but the virtual lack of cultural elites in the city: no renowned film directors, actors, musicians etc etc.

By the way, I think Chicago has 10 Fortune 500 companies not 28 and the number of visitors to Chicago is inflated as Chicago calculates tourist differently than other US cities (does not require an overnight stay) so all the suburban commuters are included in calculations with actual tourists from out of the area.
Metro Chicago has 28, I believe.

Yeah, I would like to see the source for your claims, where does it say that?

Tina Frey, Betty Ford (Former first lady), Shani Davis, Phil Foglio, etc... and these are just names of certain people from one area... there's quite a lot more.

I don't know why, but you always sound so bitter in your posts man. Calm down, you don't have to get so worked up.

By the way, I could hardly care less about Kanye, I don't really like his work very much..

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sorry but Chicago is better than ANY city in California, it is like night and day. The same way the natural stuff in California is over most of the midwest...
That is my impression too. I don't know why people can't accept the obvious.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is my impression too. I don't know why people can't accept the obvious.
Mine also, and why are people even talking about NYC here? Give it a break for once.... I'm seriously tired of hearing other city names in threads they don't belong in.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
CarverR is Dementor. That's a recycled argument. Please do not feed the animals.

So are Chicago skyscrapers and beach on the lake. All recycled arguments...

Seriously, one thing that Chicago lacks is cultural elites and as a result lack of significant cultural life. Another is public safety as the numbers prove both LA and NYC are much safer than Chicago.

PS. I think YOU are Dementor.

Last edited by carverR; 05-06-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well I am moving back, so is my gf a native californian..., sorry but Chicago is better than ANY city in California, it is like night and day. The same way the natural stuff in California is over most of the midwest... You are right people usually do go to nyc and dc too though, or miami vegas...etc But hey I would live in New York too, no problem. California is definitely great for the outdoors, its somewhat become my 2nd home, but it gets trumped by several for "city life" across the u.s.

hrrm... I wouldn't really call those hoods "quiet areas" he is probably just used to it. It is certainly quiet compared to the Loop though... Probably just perspective. Same thing with the "commute" that isn't much of a commute, he could walk or bike if he wanted.

for NW and UC can't go wrong with either, both t14 law... if you are applying to those though, you probably won't be interested in the other tier 1's in chicago, depaul, loyola, kent... they are only regional schools, but Kent is top 10 IP Law.
notre dame is top 20 though, and close.
also don't look over Michigan... they place most of their grads in either NY/Chicago markets.
Great point. However, there are "quiet, wooded streets" in Lincoln Park. They're not suburban-quiet, but there are little hideaway streets, especially south of Fullerton.

Also, are you sure you're from Chicago? I don't think anyone would ever want to walk to work in the Loop from Lincoln Park (three miles to State and Madison) or Lake View/Wrigleyville (five miles from Wrigley Field to Downtown).

A seventy-five minute walking commute? No thanks.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
LA is basically a large version of Miami + Orlando

Whereas Chicago is a CITY.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
LA is basically a large version of Miami + Orlando

Whereas Chicago is a CITY.

I agree that Chicago is much more city-like then most of LA but when it comes to urban culture Chicago does not have much to offer while LA is a giant.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times
Default What you really should have said.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood inquirer View Post
people in my generation don't even care about chicago. When we talk about places we want to visit it's always new york, miami, san francisco, chicago never gets mentioned. As a matter of fact most of my age level don't even know what's in chicago, showing my complete ignorance and lack of appreciation for anything not hammered into my brain by the media i so joyfully and passively imbibe without rational examination or critical thought..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City