Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sandy Springs,Ga - Google Maps

Do I really need to visit this area to tell if it's walkable???? Didn't think so.
Uh, yeah.
The CBD of Sandy Springs (take out your little map and refer to Roswell Rd. at the intersections of Copeland/285/Hammond/Mt Vernon) is quite walkable and becoming more so with more dense residential development coming online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Uh, yeah.
The CBD of Sandy Springs (take out your little map and refer to Roswell Rd. at the intersections of Copeland/285/Hammond/Mt Vernon) is quite walkable and becoming more so with more dense residential development coming online.
Parts. Sandy Springs as a whole is not walkable.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Houston is the most diversity city of the four with over 90 languages spoken here. I believe just in the Alief area alone; about 70 languages are spoken alone.
Yes I know.This guy does this in every Atlanta thread.He claims to hate the city so much yet ;THERE HE IS!!!He lumps all the South as if it is SO different from anywhere else.Just B.S.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Parts. Sandy Springs as a whole is not walkable.
So, what are you saying? That none of SS is walkable? That parts of it are not walkable? I was simply saying that not all of the city is single family residential and unwalkable, which is what I inferred from your earlier posts.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ you must be joking about Dallas. I have lived in many parts of Miami with out the use of a car. I spent 7 years in North Miami (a inner ring suburb) and we never owned a car since everything was within walking distance & my college was a 25 minite bus ride away across town.
Grew up on the northside of Miami Beach again without a car and walked or used mass transit. Most people don't walk several miles but you can in most of greater Miami because we have sidewalks unlike some of the cities listed.
Miami at close to 12,000 people per square mile is the most urban of the four period.
Urban and density are not always mutual.Having 400ft condo towers do not make a city urban if there is not enough street level activity.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 AM

183 posts, read 230,713 times
The thing that kills me on this site is Atlanta is always the city that is so hated on this site. I mean know one. From any other citys gives Atlanta credit for all the great things. There is actually more positives about the city than negative. Every one on here has there own definition of urbanism. Atlanta itsself have pockets of urbanism just like Houston Dallas and Miami. Every city has there own style of urbanism. Atlanta will definitly have that urban. Walkable feel whenthese few projects get threw like MIDTOWN MILE and streets of Buckhead etc . There aren't many citys in the South were you can have upscale shops resturants and clubs etc . Something like newburry st or. Soho. Atlanta is going to have that once the midtown mile is complete. It seems like nothing Atlanta does gets respect so maybe when all these profects are complete we will get that

Last edited by AtlantaGuy21; 09-24-2009 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So, what are you saying? That none of SS is walkable? That parts of it are not walkable? I was simply saying that not all of the city is single family residential and unwalkable, which is what I inferred from your earlier posts.
As a whole dosen't necessarily mean I'm referring to all of it. I never stated SS didn't have any walkable areas, but to call the whole area walkable and urban (which some Atlantians already have) is beyond exaggeration. It's near an urban area, but it's suburban in my eyes.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You need a car for all 4, not just Miami. Miami has metro rail, tri-rail, and the downtown metro mover. How are the other 3 urban, but Miami not? And how is Dallas by far the most pedestrian friendly? I'd go on to say that Miami has a better downtown transportation system then any of the 4, and don't forget Tri-rail which goes 72 miles from West Palm to Miami.
What?You talking about that "monrail thing"?LOL.Its cool but its not nearly as extensive as MARTA is to downtown Atlanta.You can walk off your plane at the airport in Atlanta,pick up your bags and hop on MARTA trains to go to a convention or a football game downtown without EVER leaving outside of the Airport in Atlanta.Peachtree Center is basically a subterranean mall.You can (as people often do)walk all the way to Centennial Olympic Park and the Aquarium.I have a house less thant a mile west of downtown Atlanta.I can walk 3blocks in less than 10 minutes to get to the closest MARTA station.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM

183 posts, read 230,713 times
Quote:
As a whole dosen't necessarily mean I'm referring to all of it. I never stated SS didn't have any walkable areas, but to call the whole area walkable and urban (which some Atlantians already have) is beyond exaggeration. It's near an urban area, but it's suburban in my eyes.
Alright buddy let it be in your eyes, which has no validation because you don't live nor have you been here. The thing I don't understand is you make judgements and opinions on things you have not seen from street level. Which you would GAG if you saw what we see everyday. No not all. Sandy springs is walkable but perimeter center and up roswell rd rd is which is like the main parts of sandy springs . With Almost 4 trains stations that will drop you of there.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
The thing that kills me on this site is Atlanta is always the city that is so hated on this site. I mean know one. From any other citys gives Atlanta credit for all the great things. There is actually more positives about the city than negative. Every one on here has there own definition of urbanism. Atlanta itsself have pockets of urbanism just like Houston Dallas and Miami. Every city has there own style of urbanism. Atlanta will definitly have that urban. Walkable feel whenthese few projects get threw like MIDTOWN MILE and streets of Buckhead etc . There aren't many citys in the South were you can have upscale shops resturants and clubs etc . Something like newburry st or. Soho. Atlanta is going to have that once the midtown mile is complete. It seems like nothing Atlanta does gets respect so maybe when all these profects are complete we will get that
It really does'nt matter.Atlanta and the other cities represent a major shift in demographics toward the traditionally hated South.Atlanta has been the center of that especially since the Olympics.Atlantic Station has been the biggest urban development in the U.S. in over 30 years.I mean it has its own NEW zip code!NOTHING was there before!!138 acres of nothing before!!Environmentally friendly etc...Still not enough.Companies relocate here time and time more than any other city in the u.S. and people complain that Atlanta is giving away concessions that other cities cannot match.Which is not true.Things continue to happen because Atlanta has synergy.Its everywhere and some people in older established cities hate it.So they more than happy to point out the flaws of a city that is and has changed more than any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City