Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM

183 posts, read 230,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What?You talking about that "monrail thing"?LOL.Its cool but its not nearly as extensive as MARTA is to downtown Atlanta.You can walk off your plane at the airport in Atlanta,pick up your bags and hop on MARTA trains to go to a convention or a football game downtown without EVER leaving outside of the Airport in Atlanta.Peachtree Center is basically a subterranean mall.You can (as people often do)walk all the way to Centennial Olympic Park and the Aquarium.I have a house less thant a mile west of downtown Atlanta.I can walk 3blocks in less than 10 minutes to get to the closest MARTA station.
I'm from Miami Dude and trust no one features those trains in mimia there just as empty as all the circuit citys that have went out of buisness. He is saying they have better transportaion system because there is more that one type. Which the trains only go one way.Miami Beach makes Miami what it is. I love my hometown of Kendall but I love Atlanta better couldn't be anywhere else in the south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
I don't know why these links didn't work on my previous post but here are some video's that provide an excellent view of the East Side of Atlanta and give a feel of how urban it is.

YouTube - Georgia State Station to King Center Station

King Center Station to Inman Park Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88JU334GSg

YouTube - Inman Park Station to Candler Park Station

YouTube - Edgewood Candler Park MARTA

Last edited by Galounger; 09-24-2009 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Miami is more compact but not "urban" you need a car a lot.

Dallas is densifying and has a more urban feel because of the compact downtown/uptown with the trolley system and a nice grid layout. Dallas is by far the most pedestrian friendly of the list. Light rail system is easy to access and doubling its size. Very impressive!

Atlanta has the midtown/downtown area but other than even in buckhead you really just have to use a car and dont walk much at all (I live in Atlanta and I always use a car, the rail is simply not easy to access)

Houston- never been to but with the weird zoning laws I dont imagine it has much of a pedestrian friendly "urban" vibe but I could totally be wrong. I'm sure with the growth Houston is experiencing that is changing nicely.
Atlanta is almost neck and neck with Dallas a far as densifying.However at the moment Atlanta is more dense than them all accept Miami.Dallas is by no means more pedestrian friendlier than Miami,Atlanta,or Houston.Atlanta used to be near the bottom just 10 years ago,but the city has drastically lowered pedestrian related accident due to the major improvements to its infrastructure.

Buckhead has TWO rail stations,so I'n not sure what you are talking about.They are very easy to use.Not to mention downtown Decatur to the East,Sandy S.,the Perimeter area are very accessible.

Here is a list of the most walkable cities:
METRO-AREA RANKINGS
A Brookings Institution survey ranks the 30 biggest metropolitan areas according to the number of "walkable urban places" relative to the area's population:
1. Washington
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Denver
5. Portland, Ore.
6. Seattle
7. Chicago
8. Miami
9. Pittsburgh
10. New York
11. San Diego
12. Los Angeles
13. Philadelphia
14. Atlanta
15. Baltimore
16. St. Louis
17. Minneapolis
18. Detroit
19. Columbus, Ohio
20. Las Vegas
21. Houston
22. San Antonio
23. Kansas City, Mo.
24. Orlando, Fla.
25. Dallas
26. Phoenix
27. Sacramento, Calif.
28. Cincinnati
29. Cleveland
30. Tampa, Fla.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM

183 posts, read 230,713 times
Quote:
It really does'nt matter.Atlanta and the other cities represent a major shift in demographics toward the traditionally hated South.Atlanta has been the center of that especially since the Olympics.Atlantic Station has been the biggest urban development in the U.S. in over 30 years.I mean it has its own NEW zip code!NOTHING was there before!!138 acres of nothing before!!Environmentally friendly etc...Still not enough.Companies relocate here time and time more than any other city in the u.S. and people complain that Atlanta is giving away concessions that other cities cannot match.Which is not true.Things continue to happen because Atlanta has synergy.Its everywhere and some people in older established cities hate it.So they more than happy to point out the flaws of a city that is and has changed more than any other place.
Your right dude I guess the city has over accomplished things that most large citys haven't yet. I guess Atlanta gets so much media attention too that it really aggravates people.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Alright buddy let it be in your eyes, which has no validation because you don't live nor have you been here. The thing I don't understand is you make judgements and opinions on things you have not seen from street level. Which you would GAG if you saw what we see everyday. No not all. Sandy springs is walkable but perimeter center and up roswell rd rd is which is like the main parts of sandy springs . With Almost 4 trains stations that will drop you of there.
Why must I live there to figure out what I already know??? SS is not walkable, and the only people that truly believe that are people from Atlanta.

It dosen't take much though and experience to determine wether an area is urba/walkable or not.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Atlanta is almost neck and neck with Dallas a far as densifying.However at the moment Atlanta is more dense than them all accept Miami.Dallas is by no means more pedestrian friendlier than Miami,Atlanta,or Houston.Atlanta used to be near the bottom just 10 years ago,but the city has drastically lowered pedestrian related accident due to the major improvements to its infrastructure.

Buckhead has TWO rail stations,so I'n not sure what you are talking about.They are very easy to use.Not to mention downtown Decatur to the East,Sandy S.,the Perimeter area are very accessible.

Here is a list of the most walkable cities:
METRO-AREA RANKINGS
A Brookings Institution survey ranks the 30 biggest metropolitan areas according to the number of "walkable urban places" relative to the area's population:
1. Washington
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Denver
5. Portland, Ore.
6. Seattle
7. Chicago
8. Miami
9. Pittsburgh
10. New York
11. San Diego
12. Los Angeles
13. Philadelphia
14. Atlanta
15. Baltimore
16. St. Louis
17. Minneapolis
18. Detroit
19. Columbus, Ohio
20. Las Vegas
21. Houston
22. San Antonio
23. Kansas City, Mo.
24. Orlando, Fla.
25. Dallas
26. Phoenix
27. Sacramento, Calif.
28. Cincinnati
29. Cleveland
30. Tampa, Fla.
That list is BS. Denver as 4th most walkable city???? Miami more walkable than NYC??? funny

Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
As a whole dosen't necessarily mean I'm referring to all of it. I never stated SS didn't have any walkable areas, but to call the whole area walkable and urban (which some Atlantians already have) is beyond exaggeration. It's near an urban area, but it's suburban in my eyes.

No one described all of Sandy Springs as walkable and urban. We took exception to you spouting off at the mouth about places that you've never visited and telling people who actually live here that we're wrong and yet still formed an opinion about a place YOU'VE.NEVER.BEEN.TO.

If someone on this board made unfounded opinions about Houston based on what they see on Google Streetview and they've admitted to never have been there, I'm pretty sure you would've done the same thing, and rightfully so.

Again, you have no credibility in this. Stick to what you know (hijacking threads by bringing up Houston all the time) instead of talking about things you don't know about.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
As a whole dosen't necessarily mean I'm referring to all of it. I never stated SS didn't have any walkable areas, but to call the whole area walkable and urban (which some Atlantians already have) is beyond exaggeration. It's near an urban area, but it's suburban in my eyes.
I agree that most of SS feels suburban, but it's CBD feels quite urban. Take a street level 'walk' up Roswell at the cross streets that I mentioned before and you'll see.
As an aside, I will say that SS has once of the most unattractive CBDs of any affluent city that I've ever seen...a result of bad zoning over the years. They are working to change that, however.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree that most of SS feels suburban, but it's CBD feels quite urban. Take a street level 'walk' up Roswell at the cross streets that I mentioned before and you'll see.
As an aside, I will say that SS has once of the most unattractive CBDs of any affluent city that I've ever seen...a result of bad zoning over the years. They are working to change that, however.

There have been efforts to improve Roswell Road in the CBD area since Sandy Springs incorporated, right?

However, I totally agree that corridor is hideous. I was considering relocating to that area, but the congestion is awful on that road.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,573 times
i never even mentioned atlanta by name and all of a sudden it's an atlanta vs miami thread?

based on the results of this poll, most of the people on c-d disagree with you and voted for miami, despite all your red ink.

hip-hop no matter who makes it will always have an image perception problem. i don't care which of bebe's kids comes out of the projects this month with some made-up african name shouting some jibberish. it doesn't matter. due to decades of marketing itself as antisocial thug music, hip-hop will always have a tough sell as anything but ghetto music. the more atlanta identifies and brags about this, the more it's going to hurt the city's image.

Quote:
This is really bizarre.What does this have to do with the topic?Miami Beach and Miami are 2 different places.The Majority of Miami does not fit the profile of South Beach.Even North Beach is not as nice as South Beach.Not to mention that "sensuality" has nothing to do with urbanism.You are a complete snob.I see you are more interested in every post hating on Atlanta with absolutely idiotic, asinine,childish lies based on the fact you hated living here in some far flung suburb near the Tennessee border.You obviously know very little about Atlanta.I guess you were to scared to ride MARTA because of all the people that like hip hop ride it too.I don't know what world you are living in but it takes ALL types to make a city urban.This is true worldwide.

Atlanta has the largest educated population of all the major cities in the entire south.The highest graduation rates,and percentage of residents with a bachelors or higher.Atlanta has a $6000 advantage over Miami in per capita income.Poverty rate in Atlanta is at 22.7% vs Miami @ 28.5%.If you want to use the things you say are important,then you have to swallow your own words,because you are just making up crap.

All that stuff you mentioned is superficial.It only adds glamor ,not anything tangible.Im not saying Miami is better or less,but if you are gonna set up phony parameters to support your hatred of a place,at least make sure you speak of what you know about the cities involved beforehand.It just makes you look bitter and jaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City