Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
i never even mentioned atlanta by name and all of a sudden it's an atlanta vs miami thread?

based on the results of this poll, most of the people on c-d disagree with you and voted for miami, despite all your red ink.

hip-hop no matter who makes it will always have an image perception problem. i don't care which of bebe's kids comes out of the projects this month with some made-up african name shouting some jibberish. it doesn't matter. due to decades of marketing itself as antisocial thug music, hip-hop will always have a tough sell as anything but ghetto music. the more atlanta identifies and brags about this, the more it's going to hurt the city's image.

Have you ever even been to Miami???? Most of Dade outside of a few areas like South Beach, Weston, and a few other parts looks like a rap video with cars with oversized rims, gold teeth everywhere and flea markets everywhere, girls with crazy colored hair styles, and dudes wearing dickie shorts and white tees- that is the typical scene in MIA outside of South Beach. Atlanta may be more well known for rap music, but anyone who has spent time in both places will tell you that Miami is just as ghetto as Atlanta, if not more. And your from DC of all places, newsflash buddy, Miami, Atlanta and DC are all in the same boat when it comes to being ghetto.

Last edited by youngMichaelJackson; 09-24-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
i never even mentioned atlanta by name and all of a sudden it's an atlanta vs miami thread?

based on the results of this poll, most of the people on c-d disagree with you and voted for miami, despite all your red ink.

hip-hop no matter who makes it will always have an image perception problem. i don't care which of bebe's kids comes out of the projects this month with some made-up african name shouting some jibberish. it doesn't matter. due to decades of marketing itself as antisocial thug music, hip-hop will always have a tough sell as anything but ghetto music. the more atlanta identifies and brags about this, the more it's going to hurt the city's image.

This from the home of TWO LIVE CREW and TRICK DADDY? The first a rap group that is notorious World Wide for basically inventing nasty x-rated sex rap back in the day and the other a popular Miami rapper that makes most of Atlanta's rappers look like Oppie Taylor. Oh yeah and I forgot Rick Ross. A wanna be Scarface Miami rapper that was the hottest thing in Rap for a short minute not long ago.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-24-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Have you ever even been to Miami???? Most of Dade outside of a few areas like South Beach, Weston, and a few other parts looks like a rap video with cars with oversized rims, gold teeth everywhere and flea markets everywhere, girls with crazy colored hair styles, and dudes wearing dickie shorts and white tees- that is the typical scene in MIA outside of South Beach. Atlanta may be more well known for music, but anyone who has spent time in both places will tell you that Miami is just as ghetto as Atlanta, if not more. And your from DC of all places, newsflash buddy, Miami, Atlanta and DC are all in the same boat when it comes to being ghetto.
I'm not saying there isn't a ghetto in Miami or in DC. You're correct, there are ghettos. And when I go to Miami I stick to South Beach and hit the clubs, the sushi bars and the shops. Again you're right.

But Miami and DC don't market themselves as hip-hop capitals like Atlanta proudly wears on its sleeve. The forums on C-D for Miami and DC don't have countless threads on "how to find section 8 housing" or "I need to find a cheap APT in Atlanta fast, moving from Detroit, Newark, Oakland, etc" like you find in the Atlanta forums. These are facts -- just read the history.

Entire ghettos nationwide are emptying out due to gentrification in the various big cities. And guess what the number one destination is. Census figures don't lie. Atlanta may be one of the fastest growing metro areas, but are the people moving there contributing to the culture or overwhelming its social services? We'll find out soon enough in the census figures and crime reports.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying there isn't a ghetto in Miami or in DC. You're correct, there are ghettoes. And when I go to Miami I stick to South Beach and hit the clubs, the sushi bars and the shops. Again you're right.

But Miami and DC don't market themselves as hip-hop capitals like Atlanta proudly wears on its sleeve. The forums on C-D for Miami and DC don't have countless threads on "how to find section 8 housing" or "I need to find a cheap APT in Atlanta fast, moving from Detroit, Newark, Detroit, etc)" like you find in the Atlanta forums. These are facts -- just read the history.

Entire ghettos nationwide are emptying out due to gentrification in the various big cities. And guess what the number one destination is. Census figures don't lie. Atlanta may be one of the fastest growing metro areas, but are the people moving there contributing to the culture or overwhelming its social services? We'll find out soon enough in the census figures and crime reports.
Sorry to say you have not really been to Miami if you only stick to South Beach!!! Ocean Dr and Collins Ave are not Miami!!!! NW 27th Ave., 95 St., 103rd St. now thats Miami!!!! You probably just did the typical tourist thing and didnt cross the I-95 bridge from South Beach into what is really Miami. If you had you would realize that your whole post made no sense. And actually Atlanta is getting more and more white so to speak, go look on the Atlanta page, there are a number of threads about Atlanta losing its black population. Please stop talking out of the side of your neck sir

And DC and MIA dont brag about being titans in the music industry because quite frankly they are not. Im sure if Wale, The Backyard Band, TCB, SMB were widely known outside of the DMV area then cats in DC would do the same thing!!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Have you ever even been to Miami???? Most of Dade outside of a few areas like South Beach, Weston, and a few other parts looks like a rap video with cars with oversized rims, gold teeth everywhere and flea markets everywhere, girls with crazy colored hair styles, and dudes wearing dickie shorts and white tees- that is the typical scene in MIA outside of South Beach. Atlanta may be more well known for rap music, but anyone who has spent time in both places will tell you that Miami is just as ghetto as Atlanta, if not more. And your from DC of all places, newsflash buddy, Miami, Atlanta and DC are all in the same boat when it comes to being ghetto.

I agree, but Weston isn't in Dade County. The residents there are pretty quick to let you know, believe me on that.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I agree, but Weston isn't in Dade County. The residents there are pretty quick to let you know, believe me on that.

LOL, well damn!!! I guess that makes Dade even more ghetto!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmichaeljackson View Post
lol, well damn!!! I guess that makes dade even more ghetto!!!

lol

Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying there isn't a ghetto in Miami or in DC. You're correct, there are ghettos. And when I go to Miami I stick to South Beach and hit the clubs, the sushi bars and the shops. Again you're right.

But Miami and DC don't market themselves as hip-hop capitals like Atlanta proudly wears on its sleeve. The forums on C-D for Miami and DC don't have countless threads on "how to find section 8 housing" or "I need to find a cheap APT in Atlanta fast, moving from Detroit, Newark, Oakland, etc" like you find in the Atlanta forums. These are facts -- just read the history.

Sounds like someone who's never been to Atlanta and knows it only from watching too much television. And Atlanta's white population has been increasing over the last decade, and many areas are being re gentrified. If anything, it's going through what DC has been going through. Most of DC's poor population has been chased out to PG County, in Atlanta, it's going out to Clayton and DeKalb Counties.

If anything, the Atlanta area is known for its African-American Middle Class moreso than for being "ghetto"

And as a transplant to Atlanta who has a job and lives in a middle class area, you're opinion about the "type" of people who are moving there is inaccurate and insulting.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami is dense but people, it is not that urban. If you get away from Miami Beach and the areas surrounding Downtown Miami, the area turns very suburban pretty quickly. You need a car to get around the majority of Miami (even the city of Miami). I would say the Inner Loop and the City are about as equal when it comes to urbanity but density easily goes to Miami.

SW Houston is dense but like Miami is very suburban.
Very true. Miami is not very urban at all. Downtown is basically just Flagler Street and a few side streets and thats it. Everything closes after 5 pm.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Along with this, being a "hip-hop capital" does not equate to "ghetto." The producers, engineers, and many of the artists that comprise Atlanta's hip hop scene, first of all, often have more money than we do, secondly, are college educated or have some type of education, and thirdly aren't using Atlanta's "social services."

Further, I'm tired of saditty ass black folks and prejudiced non-black folks equating ghetto with bad. We all got some type of family, aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents, whomever, who were either raised in the ghetto, still live in the ghetto, or have ancestors who lived in some kind of poor area. These are people often who work 2-3 jobs if they can find one and do their best to give us $hit they can barely even afford just to make up for not being there all the time. Folks from the hood are often some of the most optimistic, good-natured, welcoming, and generous people you can find. Get off your damn high horse and stop complaining about the ghetto and f-in do something to fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Sounds like someone who's never been to Atlanta and knows it only from watching too much television. And Atlanta's white population has been increasing over the last decade, and many areas are being re gentrified. If anything, it's going through what DC has been going through. Most of DC's poor population has been chased out to PG County, in Atlanta, it's going out to Clayton and DeKalb Counties.

If anything, the Atlanta area is known for its African-American Middle Class moreso than for being "ghetto"

And as a transplant to Atlanta who has a job and lives in a middle class area, you're opinion about the "type" of people who are moving there is inaccurate and insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City