Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You're definitely not a professional. And no, Atlanta is NOT more diverse than Houston. This is just too funny.
FUNNY because you post info and cannot understand it yourself?Not funny more sad.Can you really not understand that diversity is not 2 races and one ethnicity?(Hispanic,Black and White)?That is the only reason say people say Houston is more Diverse because of the large numbers of Hispanics and blacks.Put that together with the fact that economically they are in similar patterns.

Actually I was NOT wrong about how many Nigerians in Atlanta.Atlanta DOES have more.Atlanta has a higher percentage than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
FUNNY because you post info and cannot understand it yourself?Not funny more sad.Can you really not understand that diversity is not 2 races and one ethnicity?(Hispanic,Black and White)?That is the only reason say people say Houston is more Diverse because of the large numbers of Hispanics and blacks.Put that together with the fact that economically they are in similar patterns.

Actually I was NOT wrong about how many Nigerians in Atlanta.Atlanta DOES have more.Atlanta has a higher percentage than Houston.
Higher percentage doesn't mean Atlanta has more Nigerians than Houston. It's not Houston's fault that many other ethnic groups chose it, pushing it's Nigerian percentages down. lol.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Higher percentage doesn't mean Atlanta has more Nigerians than Houston. It's not Houston's fault that many other ethnic groups chose it, pushing it's Nigerian percentages down. lol.
I never said that it did.YOU keep trying to push that argument as if it is the only truth.I said a few times before that of course Houston has a higher foreign born population than Atlanta in RAW NUMBERS.Houston has over 500,000 more foreign born people than Atlanta.What you will NOT seem to grasp is that according to all the info you and I posted,they both say that Atlanta has more nationalities ,that are spread out accordingly.Having 50% of the foreign born pop. come from ONE source is NOT diverse.This true for all the cities except Miami.

Nigerians population of the total born population.( AS A PERCENT OF THE TOTAL FOREIGN BORN POPULATION)

Atlanta: 1.65%
Houston:1.36%

Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I mean absolutely NOOOOOOO disrespect to Atlanta. And I'm not saying Atlanta isn't diverse, because I also read somewhere that Atlanta has one of the highest Korean and Nigerian populations in the US. But Houston is more diverse then Atlanta. The % argument skews the facts, because Atlanta is a way smaller city, as far as city limits go. So when you take a glance at the % of Atlanta, and the % of Houston, one might automatically think, WOW Atlanta is hands down waay more diverse the Houston. BUT when you look at the raw numbers, THEN it tells a totally different story. I just think it's unfair to use % ALONE and ignore raw numbers. Percentages work BEST for determining homicide rates for cities, but can HEAVILY skew determining diversity of races in a city. Houston with one of the largest Nigerian, Vietnamese, Columbian, Venezuelan, Mexican populations and more, make it more diverse in my eyes. No disrespect to Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I mean absolutely NOOOOOOO disrespect to Atlanta. And I'm not saying Atlanta isn't diverse, because I also read somewhere that Atlanta has one of the highest Korean and Nigerian populations in the US. But Houston is more diverse then Atlanta. The % argument skews the facts, because Atlanta is a way smaller city, as far as city limits go. So when you take a glance at the % of Atlanta, and the % of Houston, one might automatically think, WOW Atlanta is hands down waay more diverse the Houston. BUT when you look at the raw numbers, THEN it tells a totally different story. I just think it's unfair to use % ALONE and ignore raw numbers. Percentages work BEST for determining homicide rates for cities, but can HEAVILY skew determining diversity of races in a city. Houston with one of the largest Nigerian, Vietnamese, Columbian, Venezuelan, Mexican populations and more, make it more diverse in my eyes. No disrespect to Atlanta.
And Atlanta has the highest Korean,Nigeria,Jamaican,Colombian,Indian,Chinese populations than Houston.That Smaller argument is SOOO pointless.Miami is smaller.I guess Houston is actually more diverse than Miami too huh?I did not ignore RAW NUMBERS,but that just means there are MORE PEOPLE in HOUSTON.Not that there are more people of a select nationality or culture which in Atlanta that clearly shows.That has NOTHING to do with being SMALLER.As I said before several cities are smaller than Houston and Dallas.One of the is NEW YORK CITY!!Another is L.A.,D.C. what is the excuse for those cities?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I never said that it did.YOU keep trying to push that argument as if it is the only truth.I said a few times before that of course Houston has a higher foreign born population than Atlanta in RAW NUMBERS.Houston has over 500,000 more foreign born people than Atlanta.What you will NOT seem to grasp is that according to all the info you and I posted,they both say that Atlanta has more nationalities ,that are spread out accordingly.Having 50% of the foreign born pop. come from ONE source is NOT diverse.This true for all the cities except Miami.

Nigerians population of the total born population.( AS A PERCENT OF THE TOTAL FOREIGN BORN POPULATION)

Atlanta: 1.65%
Houston:1.36%
LOL, whatever dude. You're on your own.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
And Atlanta has the highest Korean,Nigeria,Jamaican,Colombian,Indian,Chinese populations than Houston.That Smaller argument is SOOO pointless.Miami is smaller.I guess Houston is actually more diverse than Miami too huh?I did not ignore RAW NUMBERS,but that just means there are MORE PEOPLE in HOUSTON.Not that there are more people of a select nationality or culture which in Atlanta that clearly shows.That has NOTHING to do with being SMALLER.As I said before several cities are smaller than Houston and Dallas.One of the is NEW YORK CITY!!Another is L.A.,D.C. what is the excuse for those cities?
Out of that list, Atlanta only beats Houston with the Korean and Jamaican populations. You're really just rambling on. Atlanta is NOT more diverse than Houston. Come to your senses . I've never heard someone try to say that before until this thread. And you keep using percentages, but those mean nothing here because Houston is the larger metro area.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
New York and LA are both larger then Houston. I was talking about from a population standpoint. But whatever, if you think ATL is more diverse then Houston then what's the point of trying to convince you otherwise. Oh well ATL is more diverse then Houston.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
New York and LA are both larger then Houston. I was talking about from a population standpoint. But whatever, if you think ATL is more diverse then Houston then what's the point of trying to convince you otherwise. Oh well ATL is more diverse then Houston.
Im not CONVINCED one way or the other.All Im saying is you use data that says Total Foreign Born Population.It clearly says Houston.I use percentage of "total foreign population for select NATIONALITIES",It clearly says Atlanta is based on the individual countries of origin listed.The totals ARE right there.You can say Houston is more diverse and it would be true but again it is true for Atlanta too.If you cannot understand what I'm saying then thats not my fault.NO ONE HAS PROVED ME WRONG!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Im not CONVINCED one way or the other.All Im saying is you use data that says Total Foreign Born Population.It clearly says Houston.I use percentage of "total foreign population for select NATIONALITIES",It clearly says Atlanta is based on the individual countries of origin listed.The totals ARE right there.You can say Houston is more diverse and it would be true but again it is true for Atlanta too.If you cannot understand what I'm saying then thats not my fault.NO ONE HAS PROVED ME WRONG!
Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City