Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Is any one of these four cities significantly more urban than the others? I'm pretty sure that they are all fairly equal in that respect...each one has urban areas, and each one has a huge sea of suburbia surrounding it (just like every other U.S. city).

Even though each of these cities is making strides toward urbanization, they continue to be viewed as lesser cities by many people in this forum. I'm not even sure why a thread such as this is allowed...it only causes arguments between people who think their city is better - since there is really no way to definitvely decide which city is more urban.
I agree.The problem is that when some cities tout themselves as being something.It causes other cities to be compaired to another as lesser,,or not equal to.Some one always wants to be the "top dawg".Problem is,if those statements are allowed to go unchecked,then citizens of that city see themselves as having something other citizens of other cities cannot possibly have or at least on their same level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You realize that this is very flawed logic.Youre basically saying becasue Houston annexed so much its not fair? Philadelphia,Boston,Baltimore,D.C.are all smaller and more diverse than Atlanta.(Philly is almost identical to Atlanta in size)

We could go on all day about what ifs.If Atlanta annexed Fayette county to the South or Cobb county to the North, that would raise its income higher .
The bigger the population; the lower the median income will be. You leave out the fact that the closer you are to the core of the city; the higher the cost of living will be which attracts more higher income people. Houston stretches out far beyond than normal, and encompasses lots of low-income areas. .

Old 09-27-2009, 02:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Atlanta Diversity

Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US
Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US - India - Zimbio
There are Hindu temples all over Texas. Even out in the country. What's your point?

Quote:
Korean Metropolitan Area Number Percent
1) Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange-San Bernardino-Ventura, California Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA) 257,975 23.96
2)New York-North New Jersey-Long Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania CMSA 170,509 15.83
3)Washington. D.C.-Baltimore, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia CMSA 74,454 6.91
4)San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California CMSA 57,386 5.33
5)Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, CMSA 46,256 4.30
6)Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton, Washington CMSA 41,189 3.82
7)Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland CMSA 29,309 2.72
8)Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 22,317 2.07
8)Honolulu, Hawaii MSA 21,681 2.01
9)Dallas-Ft Worth, Texas CMSA 18,123 1.68
10)Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, CMSA 15,560 1.44
11)San Diego, CA MSA 12,004 1.11
12)Houston-Galveston-Brazoria., Texas CMSA 10,341 0.96
Total for 13 Metropolitan Areas 777,104 72.16
Total Koreans in the United States 1,076,872 100.00
Oh, okay. So the more Koreans you have, the more diverse you are. That I did not know.

Quote:
Percentage wise their are more Nigerians in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S..
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
In Atlanta,Clarkston, Redan and Riverdale all have a greater percent than any area in Houston,Dallas or Miami.Glen Heights is the highest in Houston.

Percentage wise their are more Vietnamese in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S.More communities in Atlanta.
Are you saying that the Atlanta MSA has more Nigerians and Vietnamese than the Houston MSA?

Percentage wise their are more Koreans in Atlanta than any other city in the South.More communities in Atlanta than any other city.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/quote]

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:15 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Atlanta Diversity

Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US
Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US - India - Zimbio
Korean Metropolitan Area Number Percent
1) Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange-San Bernardino-Ventura, California Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA) 257,975 23.96
2)New York-North New Jersey-Long Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania CMSA 170,509 15.83
3)Washington. D.C.-Baltimore, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia CMSA 74,454 6.91
4)San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California CMSA 57,386 5.33
5)Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, CMSA 46,256 4.30
6)Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton, Washington CMSA 41,189 3.82
7)Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland CMSA 29,309 2.72
8)Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 22,317 2.07
8)Honolulu, Hawaii MSA 21,681 2.01
9)Dallas-Ft Worth, Texas CMSA 18,123 1.68
10)Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, CMSA 15,560 1.44
11)San Diego, CA MSA 12,004 1.11
12)Houston-Galveston-Brazoria., Texas CMSA 10,341 0.96
Total for 13 Metropolitan Areas 777,104 72.16
Total Koreans in the United States 1,076,872 100.00

Percentage wise their are more Nigerians in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S..
In Atlanta,Clarkston, Redan and Riverdale all have a greater percent than any area in Houston,Dallas or Miami.Glen Heights is the highest in Houston.

Percentage wise their are more Vietnamese in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S.More communities in Atlanta.

Percentage wise their are more Koreans in Atlanta than any other city in the South.More communities in Atlanta than any other city.
Only someone from Atlanta would argue with the fact that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
There are Hindu temples all over Texas. Even out in the country. What's your point?

Oh, okay. So the more Koreans you have, the more diverse you are. That I did not know.

Are you saying that the Atlanta MSA has more Nigerians and Vietnamese than the Houston MSA?

[/quote]

What he probably dosen't know is that Houston has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the country, and the Greater Houston area supposedly has the largest Nigerian population in the country.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 03:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
"Knowing me"?If you actually did,it would be a pleasure for YOU.ANyway,I'm not making any claims you Houston people have.I debunked those claims by providing facts and you guys have used every excuse to deny or invalidate them.
What excuses have I used? What have I denied? And I'm not a Houston person.

Quote:
Nice try.Not a theory ,just the facts.Can you provide me with some?
Gay Map(Census)
http://www.gaydemographics.org/USA/Maps/US_map_pct.gif (broken link)
The gayest zip codes. (http://www.gaydemographics.org/USA/2000Census_Gay_zipcode.htm - broken link)

Anything else?
So it is a fact that Atlanta is the best city in the south for gays? Really? Where can I find that source?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM

What he probably dosen't know is that Houston has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the country, and the Greater Houston area supposedly has the largest Nigerian population in the country.[/quote]
I already said that if you count by numbers due to Houston having a larger population than Atlanta,then of course you will have more of almost any area.Percentage wise is a tottaly different story.No houston does not have the largest Nigerian population in the country.NYC does.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only someone from Atlanta would argue with the fact that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta.
I think part of the problem is that Atlanta is totally overlooked for diversity...many people view Atlanta as only black and white, but it's actually much more diverse than that.

I don't know about a lot of specific populations of different nationalities, but Houston has larger Nigerian and Vietnamese populations than Atlanta - but not by much. Atlanta is nationally ranked 5th for Nigerian and 7th for Vietnamese populations. Houston is ranked higher for both.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
What excuses have I used? What have I denied? And I'm not a Houston person.

So it is a fact that Atlanta is the best city in the south for gays? Really? Where can I find that source?
Once again if you knew me you would know that I would never make a statement like the "best of anything" as other than an OPINION.Just like your opinions are the same.I don't even give much credit to magazines like some of Forbe's list; like "best city for singles"or "Best Nightlife".People are different with different needs.I could say Atlanta is the best places for gays,but what if you were gay and hated the South?So it would be silly to do so.What I can do is offer facts,and facts tell me that by the numbers,Atlanta would be best.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
What he probably dosen't know is that Houston has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the country, and the Greater Houston area supposedly has the largest Nigerian population in the country.
I already said that if you count by numbers due to Houston having a larger population than Atlanta,then of course you will have more of almost any area.Percentage wise is a tottaly different story.No houston does not have the largest Nigerian population in the country.NYC does.[/quote]

I said Greater Houston area, also statistics say the areas has the 1st or 2nd largest. Either way, it's bigger than Atlanta's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City