Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you...but Houston is not significantly more diverse than Atlanta IMO. Diversity is many things - integration doesn't have to be present for an overall diverse environment.

Atlanta has a large number of foreign consulates as well...last time I checked Houston had only a handful more than Atlanta.
Houston's consulate numbers are in the 90s and Atlanta's are in the 50s. This was as of 2008 so it probably has changed but not by much. Atlanta does have many different nationalities but Houston just simply has more. They have a larger and more diverse Hispanic (by far) and Asian population. Atlanta has the larger Black population but Houston has the more diverse Black population. Atlanta has come a long way from being once known as a Black and White city though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston's consulate numbers are in the 90s and Atlanta's are in the 50s. This was as of 2008 so it probably has changed but not by much. Atlanta does have many different nationalities but Houston just simply has more. They have a larger and more diverse Hispanic (by far) and Asian population. Atlanta has the larger Black population but Houston has the more diverse Black population. Atlanta has come a long way from being once known as a Black and White city though.
I looked up Atlanta's consulates over a year ago and it was nearly 70. I'm not sure where 50 comes from...

I was trying to discuss the topic, not argue about it.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
The thing to consider however is that "foreign" element in Miami has pretty much taken over..Lol
Point taken.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you...but Houston is not significantly more diverse than Atlanta IMO. Diversity is many things - integration doesn't have to be present for an overall diverse environment.
Well "significance" is relative. It may not seem like a lot to you but could make a world of difference to me.

To be completely honest, I think this is the first time in my life where I've even heard Houston and Atlanta's diversity being compared. Houston's competition for diversity is usually Chicago, DC, and San Francisco. At least from the discussions I've seen on these forums. Atlanta, on the other hand, is often criticized for being one of the least diverse global cities. So frankly I don't know who to believe.

Quote:
Atlanta has a large number of foreign consulates as well...last time I checked Houston had only a handful more than Atlanta.
Well Houston has like 85 or 86. How many does Atlanta have?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Atlanta has 61 foreign consulates: Georgia.org - Consulates & Consular Services

Houston has 78 foreign consulates: Houston Business Directory, Online Business Directory for Houston, Texas - Houston Facts & Figures (http://www.houstonbusiness.com/houstonfacts/ - broken link)

Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I looked up Atlanta's consulates over a year ago and it was nearly 70. I'm not sure where 50 comes from...

I was trying to discuss the topic, not argue about it.
I didn't make to argue about it either. Just to continue the discussion. I've read that Atlanta has 50 or 60. Again, I said that was as of 2008 and I said it may have changed. But just that I read it as 50 from the other various urban websites.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well "significance" is relative. It may not seem like a lot to you but could make a world of difference to me.

To be completely honest, I think this is the first time in my life where I've even heard Houston and Atlanta's diversity being compared. Houston's competition for diversity is usually Chicago, DC, and San Francisco. At least from the discussions I've seen on these forums. Atlanta, on the other hand, is often criticized for being one of the least diverse global cities. So frankly I don't know who to believe.
That is exactly the kind of attitude I was talking about earlier. Atlanta is erroneously seen as a black and white city...and the statistics that have already been posted here have proven that to be false.

For the record, I believe I stated that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta, but not by a huge amount. I don't know what the Houston people are arguing about or why, but it's tiresome. See ya.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only someone from Atlanta would argue with the fact that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta.
I wonder if he knows that Houston's foreign born population is almost 22%, while Atlanta's is 12% (going by metro areas)...

Old 09-27-2009, 05:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Actually diversity would depend more on the percentage of total population, not simply on raw numbers. I believe Houston probably is a little more diverse than Atlanta - but not by a lot.
Atlanta is obviously going to have higher percentages on things because the city limits are small. That is why you should look at the entire metro area. Atlanta's metro is well over five million, but the city takes up, what, 500K ofn that? The numbers would be skewed.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has 61 foreign consulates: Georgia.org - Consulates & Consular Services

Houston has 78 foreign consulates: Houston Business Directory, Online Business Directory for Houston, Texas - Houston Facts & Figures (http://www.houstonbusiness.com/houstonfacts/ - broken link)
That number is missing a few for Houston. It's at 88.
Houston Directory: Listings - Consulates (http://www.visithoustontexas.com/members/category.list.php?category=13601&location=&count=1 0&start=60 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City