Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
What I do know is that Houston has more nationalities, which means more to choose from. It's also one of the most (if not the most) integrated cities in the entire nation. That's diversity.

Again I should point out that Houston has the third largest # of foreign consulates in the US. Only New York and Los Angeles have more.

Again what you are saying is true but I can say the same about Atlanta and it IS true too. Fact is(whether are not you want to believe it or not)so many years those facts were unquestionably true.However Atlanta's foreign and ethnic population is growing at a faster rate than Dallas or Houston.

here is another fact from the Census.

Group A>Those born IN each state as a percentage of population:
Houston:55.3%
Dallas:54.8
Atlanta:47.4
Miami:30.1%

Group B> Those born OUT of state:
Houston:22.5%
Dallas:26.5%
Atlanta:38.8%
Miami:30.2%

What does any of this mean?Well judging by the numbers;if you take Miami for instance.Pretty much every one agrees that Miami is the most diverse out of these 4. If you take the percentages from each city and from both groups,subtract the difference from Miami's totalYou will get the city that comes closest to Miami's balance.

Houston/Dallas with the people born in the Host state,that lets you know that more people are actually more from Texas than other states.The growth of outside influence is greater in Atlanta than in Houston.

Its a well known fact that people born in Texas stay put almost more than any other state.These facts support that.2 Texas cities with almost mirror demographics.
Atlanta seems to be higher in this category as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
What I do know is that Houston has more nationalities, which means more to choose from. It's also one of the most (if not the most) integrated cities in the entire nation. That's diversity.

Again I should point out that Houston has the third largest # of foreign consulates in the US. Only New York and Los Angeles have more.
Nationalities and race or TWO different things sometimes.You said that when people talk of Diversity its more about RACE.Which is it ?HMMM?You see how people can easily think one thing and not the other if thw whole truth is not exposed?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I wonder if he knows that Houston's foreign born population is almost 22%, while Atlanta's is 12% (going by metro areas)...
UMM...Im like..right HERE!LOL
As I said before if you go back and read what I posted.I said :"because of the higher Hispanic population".But if you examine where the foreign born population is then it is NOT,Atlanta has more people coming from every race than ANY OF THESE CITIES.

EUROPE-ATLANTA
AFRICA-(BTW is NOT just Nigeria)Atlanta
Oceania?-but it says Atlanta
Latin America of course ALL except Atlanta but actually not far behind.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Atlanta is obviously going to have higher percentages on things because the city limits are small. That is why you should look at the entire metro area. Atlanta's metro is well over five million, but the city takes up, what, 500K ofn that? The numbers would be skewed.
Go back and READ.Those number are from the MSA in each city.The numbers for the city were NOT significantly different.Anyway the question was: Which city is more Urban.
IMHO Diversity,Density,Educational Attainment are just some of the areas that people search for.
I showed FACTUAL DATA to support my argument,but to try and to discount them by suggesting Houston or Dallas are hampered due to things like size,are just excuses.
I could do the same thing.I could say
Quote:
"well Atlanta cannot be more diverse because its not close to Latin America like Houston is or how Miami is closer to the Caribbean"
.Or I could
Quote:
say Atlanta population is so much smaller because we have a harder constitution that limits how you can annex in Georgia.

Sure those are good reasons but they still are not what provides the outcome.Many of these attitudes are from how the way things USED to be .Things change.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Again what you are saying is true but I can say the same about Atlanta and it IS true too. Fact is(whether are not you want to believe it or not)so many years those facts were unquestionably true.However Atlanta's foreign and ethnic population is growing at a faster rate than Dallas or Houston.

here is another fact from the Census.

Group A>Those born IN each state as a percentage of population:
Houston:55.3%
Dallas:54.8
Atlanta:47.4
Miami:30.1%

Group B> Those born OUT of state:
Houston:22.5%
Dallas:26.5%
Atlanta:38.8%
Miami:30.2%

What does any of this mean?Well judging by the numbers;if you take Miami for instance.Pretty much every one agrees that Miami is the most diverse out of these 4. If you take the percentages from each city and from both groups,subtract the difference from Miami's totalYou will get the city that comes closest to Miami's balance.

Houston/Dallas with the people born in the Host state,that lets you know that more people are actually more from Texas than other states.The growth of outside influence is greater in Atlanta than in Houston.

Its a well known fact that people born in Texas stay put almost more than any other state.These facts support that.2 Texas cities with almost mirror demographics.
Atlanta seems to be higher in this category as well
All those numbers tell me is that Atlanta has a slightly higher percentage of transplants and people who migrated to the area from places. Is that your argument for diversity?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Nationalities and race or TWO different things sometimes.You said that when people talk of Diversity its more about RACE.Which is it ?HMMM?You see how people can easily think one thing and not the other if thw whole truth is not exposed?
Does nationality not pertain to race? Do you not have the Asian race and different nationalities in it?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Does nationality not pertain to race? Do you not have the Asian race and different nationalities in it?
No not all the time.I'm African AMERICAN what does that mean?What race is from Cuba?Puerto Rico?Hispanic is not a race,nor is Latin American.Its ethinicity.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
No not all the time.I'm African AMERICAN what does that mean?

What race is from Cuba?Puerto Rico?Hispanic is not a race,nor is Latin American.Its ethinicity.
I see your point, but don't play dumb man. You know good and well that when I said race I was speaking of nationalities as well. Especially when speaking of places like Africa and Asia.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Texas has 13 0f the most Mexican communities in America.The First 13 of the 20 most
Mexican communities in the country are in Texas.Yet when you look at the census it says that Houston has one of the largest Latin American populations.If you look further at the breakdown,more than 60 percent of those are from Mexico.Not Chile,Venezuela,Costa Rica,Puerto Rico etc....So Houston has this HIGH percentage of foreign born.Then what happens is the CVTB(Convention Visitors and Tourism Board) tells every one how Diverse Houston is.People believe it,so it attracts more.Im not saying it is not but considering that such a large population of it is from ONE country more than the others,it makes the number seem more than they actually are.

Its like in the 1970's when Atlanta was known as the city "To Busy to Hate".That slogan was broadcast world-wide.Yet truth of the matter is that was partly accurate but "white flight" was in full effect back then.The KKK was still having a spot on Stone Mountain, and everyone knew from the Child murders in Atlanta that it was someone white killing all those black children.Truth is Atlanta grew into that mantra and TODAY you hardly ever hear that slogan anymore.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I see your point, but don't play dumb man. You know good and well that when I said race I was speaking of nationalities as well. Especially when speaking of places like Africa and Asia.
I was not.That is what I meant.Nationalities are just ONE area of Diversity.Like both are the same.They are not.Yet you and others keep mentioning consulates?LOL.I'm like o.k. WTF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City